Was Kelly Wrong In Lying To His Players?

futurecoach

What would you have done if you were Kelly?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have done if you were Kelly?

• I would have lied to them too about it.
    • Should have told them the truth, even though it would have been a distraction.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about all of this is that Kelly would not have really lied at all to his players, if Texas misses that kick. If Texas would have missed that field goal, I don't think there is any chance BK would have left then since UC would have been in the title game.

GT if UC would have made the title game, do you think he probably would have ended up staying at UC for a long time then? Or do you think he still would have eventually left within the next few years?

He would have been gone in 2-3 years max, and I have expected that all along...

Since when is being honest a bad thing? If he was toast either way, why not just be honest? He is every bit the scoundrel that Petrino was, and I don't blam eGilyard or any of those other kids for flat walking out . . .

Well being honest could have cost his kids a chance of winning the biggest game of their lives at that point. I mean would you really have wanted him to say before the Pitt game, ok guys I probably am going to leave. However I want you all to still go out and play hard for me this week? How is that fair to the players, to through that distraction on them before the biggest game of their lives at that point. Remember at that point they were still playing for a chance to play in the National Championship game, so that game meant everything. There is some cases where being honest is not the best thing to do, and in that case I don't think it would have been. Now a day or two after the game, he should have came clean though.

There is no easy answer IMO. Anything he did was probably going to have a negative effect. Had he been honest with them, they probably do not come back and beat Pitt IMO. Sad situation, but I think we should think about how difficult it is to coach college sports. How often does a TV channel watch our every move and question us repeatedly when we are looking for a new job? I don't expect Herbie or Cowherd to try to guess which teaching job I will be able to get when I have my degree.

The media really makes this hard on these coaches to have some dignity. As far as having respect to UC, he repaid his debt to them for hiring him by taking them to 2 BCS Bowls, IMO. He doesn't owe them a thing IMO as far as the University and fans go. Players are a different story of course, but I think they have to realize that it's difficult to be offered a job like that.

Also had he said it to the players, what if they talked him out of it? Maybe he didn't want that possibility. I do think that he would have at least some love for those guys, and it's not fair for him to have to think of them when the coaching profession has become a business like this. He wanted the ND job and it's good for his family. He had to take the job IMO, and he had to make the choice on his own. There is no perfect answer here IMO.

Am I upset that he told his players he was staying during the week of the Pitt game even though he already knew at that point it was very likely he was out the door? Not at all.

Am I furious that he continued (and kept at it today in his ND presser) to say he handled the situation with honesty and integrity every step of the way all the while lying and deflecting at every turn? I sure as hell am.

Am I ticked off that a guy who begged and begged for the local media to pay attention to him from the day he got here left those kids high and dry last night after he broke their hearts seconds earlier and then unleashed them to the cameras while he snuck out the back door? Take a guess.

Am I less than pleased he told the ABC crew 4 days before the Pitt game to run with him being interested in ND at the end of the game and then blew up in the press conference when confronted with the question? You got it.

Bottom line for me. If you are going to put yourself out there as taking the high road, and handling the situation with honesty and integrity, don't be surprised when the backlash hits after it turns out the only honesty and integrity you displayed happened only when it was convenient to you and your cause.

For the record his first contact with ND was shortly after the Navy loss on November 7th...

Does not surprise me at all. As I have been saying all along, despite the denials from several coaches, Notre Dame would have been stupid to fire Weis without having getting a feel for the interest of potential replacements.

I would have been highly disappointed with Mr. Swarbuck had he actually fired Charlie Weis and then waited a week until the regular season was over to contact any potential replacemnts as was being suggested from the coaching side of things.

I understand that the UC players are upset, but they need to get over it and focus on winning the Sugar Bowl. That's just how major college football works.

The problem is not lying, it is telling people that he did it while being completely honest.

He needs to tell people that he did what he needed to, so that the focus was on his current team and job and their quest for a national title. It was going to be pretty hard to keep a team focused when you tell them you are leaving them for a better job.

Any way he handled this, UC fans and players would've been ticked. I don't have a problem with him "lying" to his players. How many of you told your 5 year old Santa doesn't exist when they asked? What about the Easter bunny? You tell your kids what they need to know then protect them at all costs.

Imagine if he announced he was leaving before last Saturday and UC loses. They'd want to hang him in Clifton.

As far as him throwing the kids to the wolves (media), definitely not a fan of that.

Am I upset that he told his players he was staying during the week of the Pitt game even though he already knew at that point it was very likely he was out the door? Not at all.

Am I furious that he continued (and kept at it today in his ND presser) to say he handled the situation with honesty and integrity every step of the way all the while lying and deflecting at every turn? I sure as hell am.

Am I ticked off that a guy who begged and begged for the local media to pay attention to him from the day he got here left those kids high and dry last night after he broke their hearts seconds earlier and then unleashed them to the cameras while he snuck out the back door? Take a guess.

Am I less than pleased he told the ABC crew 4 days before the Pitt game to run with him being interested in ND at the end of the game and then blew up in the press conference when confronted with the question? You got it.

Bottom line for me. If you are going to put yourself out there as taking the high road, and handling the situation with honesty and integrity, don't be surprised when the backlash hits after it turns out the only honesty and integrity you displayed happened only when it was convenient to you and your cause.

For the record his first contact with ND was shortly after the Navy loss on November 7th...

:thumb:

IMO Kelly should have been up front with the team. This is a team comprised of young men that should have enough maturity to realize what opportunities are. Kelly should have enough faith in his team that they would react as young men and still preform to their abilities. This ND job apparently is a dream job for Kelly. Kelly IMO has build a great program for UC and now it is up the university to keep it going. The university needs to evaluate what Kelly has done for the school and look for a coach that has similar characteristics.

Irish Central was all over Kelly to ND and the first to run with the story, even as he was claiming loyalty to UC.

:lol: