You're a poor college student...but you make too much money for financial aid...

Aiden Seamus

I just can't feel sorry for college students...it is hard, but, will only get harder...get used to it now.

Like I said in an earlier thread, if you want it bad enough, you will do what it takes to get it.

I went through a BS and Master's working part time, full time and internship a total of 5 semesters combined in both degrees....plus, I was married and had anywhere from 3 to 5 kids at home. I still pulled a 4.0 and got wonderful reviews at work....and, most important of all, spent quality time with the kids and PH....I spent a lot of time with my family. Just did not sleep much at all....when I did sleep, it was short and hard sleep. I would usually go to bed around 9 pm and get up at 1 or 2 in the morning to make breakfast and do my school work. It can be done....IF you want it bad enough...it really can!!!

Now that young lady is IMPRESSIVE! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHDad, is the tuition tax credit still available? Is so, what are the guide lines? Several years ago I took some night classes at the community college while working a full time job. I got 100% of my tuition back as a tax credit. If this is still available you could basically get your first two years paid for. You would have to bust your butt to do it but that is sometimes what you have to do.

There are 2 credits available: The Hope Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Requirements for both:

* Not married filing separate returns

* Available for qualified tuition and /or related expenses

* AGI must be below $57,000 for singles, $114,000 marrieds

* Credit goes to whoever claims the student as a dependent

* Credit is nonrefundable, meaning it can only be used to offset tax

Hope Credit

* Pays 100% of the first $1100 and 50% of the next $1100.

* Student must be at least half-time

* Student must be enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certificate

* Student must not have a felony drug conviction.

* Student must be in first two years of post-secondary school

* Maximum credit is $1650 per student

Lifetime Credit

* No workload requirement

* Available for almost any post-secondary course at any time

* Unlimited number of years

* Credit is 20% of up to $10,000 in qualified tuition and fees paid

* Maximum credit is $2000 per taxpayer (not per student)

There is also the Tuition Deduction (can't use with Hope or Lifetime Credit).

The numbers I used were for 2007. I was too lazy to look up 2008's numbers.

Taxes helping keep tuition low? :lol:

That's funny.

I can't speak for every university but I have seen the budget plan for MSU and seen how they spend the money and where it goes and I can tell you that whenever they get the money doesn't go towards keep tuition lower.

Recently MSU said that they were on a budget crunch and had to cut back spending. Well the President just got a raise and a $20,000 bonus to raise his salary to $250,000 a year. Every faculty member got a percentage raise also. But we're supposed to be cutting back spending I thought. Not to mention the raise in tuition and they raised parking permits to $360 a semester and dorms are between $1500 and $3000 a semester.

The state kicked in $48,697,700 to Morehead State Univeristy in 2008.

http://www.osbd.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/1015785C-71AD-4CCC-9BB5-4F1B42511BA5/0/0810_BOC_Volume1.pdf page 407

Morehead State University had an enrollment of 9,025 students in 2006 (latest figures).

http://www.moreheadstate.edu/files/units/ira/p%2011%20five-year%20enrollment%20patterns.pdf

Assuming the enrollment is the same in 2008, the state is spending $47,251,500 ($5,235.62 per student) this year from MY tax dollars. Keep in mind that this is only state funds. It doesn't inlcude the $61,490,100 given to Morehead from the federal government ($6,813.31 per student). If not for taxes, your tuition would go from $5,670 per year to $17,719 per year. Consider this your financial aid...

You are entitled to nothing. I won't argue that certain students geting financial aid while others don't is not always fair. But life's not fair.

Who is dening you any of those things? The guarantee doesn't say anything about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness coming easy or debt free.

I didn't say anyone was! Please show me where I said that anyone was denying me those things?

I was just trying to lighten up this thread. Everyone is being a Debbie Downer right now. Saying, "oh ho ho, bah humbug you are entitiled to nothing BAHHHH! life isn't fair!"

Just reminding everyone that we do have things we are entitled to. Look on the bright side.

I disagree.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Don't forget, everyone's also entitled to death and taxes!!

I'm sorry to sour the mood, but I have been engulfed with notices of higher costs, rates, taxes, etc. To hear someone complain that they weren't given a free handout just makes me more upset, especially when the person believes they were entited to receive it.

Truth be told, I sympathize with those who deserve the help but don't receive it. And for those who take advantage of the help when it is not needed, I hope it comes back to bite you.

Student loans man, deal with it after college.. I get about half of my tuition paid for from fafsa but that leaves the other half for me to fill in the holes.

It's one of those things you have to deal with, pay for it after school like I plan on doing.

Then I guess we disagree. I think I am entitled to some assistance from the government. If we pay taxes I feel they owe us. We are having to pay money to the government to keep all these murderer's and rapist's alive but apparently the government can't help by providing some financial assistance for kids trying to get a degree to start a career? Makes a lot of sense!

This is the culture that is our young work force. I see many young faces who claim they want to make money, but when it comes down to actually working for it, and not handed to them, they don't get it.

Now that young lady is IMPRESSIVE! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just knew what I wanted and I wanted to set a great example for our foster daughters. I wanted them to know that there was NOTHING in this world that they could not accomplish!!! PH showed them what a wonderful man was like and, between the two of us, I think the girls got the right idea of what a good life can be.

It was not easy, however, I think that I really appreciate my degrees a lot more doing the way I did it...as well as some others on here...than being given the money. Yes, I filled out all the papers and was ALWAYS denied. For a while, I got military money as a benefit of being PH's wife. That money did not last long and, was spent on the girls.

I would do it all over again. I was, and am so proud of what I accomplished. And, to see the look on PH's face, and what he said to me on my graduation...well, I would have not traded that for anything!!! The girls and my brother made me just as proud with how they acted and what they said. There is nothing better than a husband and child telling you that they are proud of you.

A side note: I was the only one of my family...mom, dad, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc...that ever went to school...heck, most of my family don't have a high school education or GED....so, this had always been a goal of mine...AND, I ain't done yet. When PH and I finally decide on the house we want built....I am going for my doctorate and PH is standing by me on that!!!

Work hard guys and you will be just as proud!!! 12 hours for undergraduates was full time...I was taking 18-21 hours....for grads, full time was 9 hours and I was taking anywhere from 12 to 15 hours. It can be done, even working full time and part time and doing internship....just apply yourself and you will be so proud of what you have done!!!

My full time job was in a health care clinic....I worked from 2 pm on friday and got off at 8am on Sunday mornings (yes, this was with no sleep and without breaks..I did not want breaks because I like the little bit of overtime that I got for skipping them.)....I tried to take my classes in a two day span...I went from 8am-8pm...this did not always work out, but, doing it this way really helped my schedule. This is to try to help you all out to budget your time wisely. My part time job was two to three days a week and my internship I worked when I got off at the part time job I worked at.

LOL looking back on it, I really don't know how I did it and stayed close and kept God and my husband and kids the most important part of my life!!!

You all can do it....As PH and I told one of my teens one time...you spend so much energy complaining about it that you are too tired to do it. Just do it and don't think about it. If you were laying on your death bed, you would want to do it then...so do it now!!! The world don't owe you nothing and the sooner you learn this, the better you will be.

Good luck to you all!!!!

Well get used to having to do things that you don't want to do, because that's real world. Join the military and faithfully serve your country if that's what it takes for you to afford your college, whether you want to be in the military or not. Or take a full time job and go to school part time. Sure it will take you longer to get your degree, but so what. Life isn't easy and it shouldn't be.

My parents couldn't afford to do much to help my Centre tuition but they did what they could. By the time I finished my education, I was up to my wazoo in debt. It was still a good investment. So you can't afford that shiny sports car or the big screen TV, or you can't afford to go clubbing but once a month for years after you graduate until you pay off your education loans. So what. Again, that's life. You don't always, heck usually, get what you want. Not now and probably not later in life. Heck, I'm considerable to be a successful partner in a large law firm and there are plenty of things I want to own or do that I haven't owned or done and probably never will. I don't expect someone else to just give me money so I can buy the things I want or do the things that I want.

Nobody owes you financial aid; nobody owes you anything.

Whoa now. First of all, I do not need your lecture about the "real world". I've been working and living on my own for the past 2-3 years and I have done just fine. I have worked part time during school and full time in the summers since I've been in college. Financial aid has helped me with tuition for the first four years and I've been very thankful for that. Regardless, I've still had to take out $18,000 in loans for school. I understand that I will have to pay those back and I want to pay those back. I took the loans knowing that after I graduate I will be getting a job to pay them off. I have no problem with that what so ever.

About the military, it is not for everyone and it should not be. Anyone who can't afford college should not have to join the military in order to do so. That is what student loans are for. I have lived on a military base, and I have many friends and family in the military right now. I know that at this point in my life, it is not for me. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I doubt it.

I never said I expected to always get what I want. Not sure where or how you got that from my previous posts in this thread. If I get what I want, it's because I have worked to get it.

I never said anyone owed me financial aid; I never said anyone owes me anything. I am thankful for the financial aid that I have received during my four years of college. Would I have taken more if they offered it for my final semester? Heck yes. Am I going to quit or pout because they didn't give me any? No. I'm going to work as much as possible this summer and save as much as possible and then next semester I'll take out whatever loans I have to in order to finish out and graduate in December.

I don't know where you are getting your impression that I want want want and just expect everything to be given to me because that is not how I feel at all.

I just can't feel sorry for college students...it is hard, but, will only get harder...get used to it now.

Like I said in an earlier thread, if you want it bad enough, you will do what it takes to get it.

I went through a BS and Master's working part time, full time and internship a total of 5 semesters combined in both degrees....plus, I was married and had anywhere from 3 to 5 kids at home. I still pulled a 4.0 and got wonderful reviews at work....and, most important of all, spent quality time with the kids and PH....I spent a lot of time with my family. Just did not sleep much at all....when I did sleep, it was short and hard sleep. I would usually go to bed around 9 pm and get up at 1 or 2 in the morning to make breakfast and do my school work. It can be done....IF you want it bad enough...it really can!!!

I've stayed up studying until 5-6 in the morning before a test at 8 AM. And then I would have work after that.

I've also gotten up to go to work at 6:30 AM, gotten off at 11 AM, only to have classes up until late in the night.

Before starting college I didn't really think I would finish. Not sure why, but I didn't think I had what it took. I had heard many horror stories about how you had to study all the time and I dreaded it. Not sure how I did it, but I'm almost done with it now. I plan on continuing on and getting my Masters in Criminal Justice at EKU...if not at EKU hopefully I can get into grad school somewhere.

This is the culture that is our young work force. I see many young faces who claim they want to make money, but when it comes down to actually working for it, and not handed to them, they don't get it.

I see that too but you can guarantee that I am not one of them. I have worked for what I have got in my life. The car I am driving right now I am working to pay off. I am paying car payment plus full coverage insurance plus my bills.

There are many loopholes for the financial aid system, there is no reason in the world that I should be getting it but I still do. If you know how to move some funds around and manipulate a few things then just about anybody can get it. In your case Aiden, you are a few months behind schedule on your FASFA and that may very well be the reason you received nothing.

On a side note, I spoke with a recruiter yesterday who offered me with a 4 year commitment to serve a $20,000 signing bonus, full tuition coverage and $700 cash in the pocket for each semester till I get my bachelors degree. Not too shabby if you ask me and it's something I'll have to seriously consider.

So he offered to pay your tuition, AND give you $20,000?

I'd consider joining for that! :laugh: