You're a poor college student...but you make too much money for financial aid...

Aiden Seamus

Basically those are the words I got today.

Last week I filled out the FAFSA online in hopes of getting some financial aid for my junior year of college. Today I got a nice letter in the mail stating that my family's EFC (estimated family contribution) is too high for them to give me any aid.

Now, I have not lived with my parents for three years. Nor have they paid any of my tuition in those 3 years. I made between $8,000 and $9,000 last year working part time jobs, etc.

It costs me $9,000 a year in tuition alone, so how in the world can they say I don't need any financial aid? This is ridiculous!

So, now I have to try and find a new student loan company (the old one I had went under and has stopped giving student loans because the economy is so bad) and hope that I'm still not paying these things off when I'm 45. I'm already $25,000+ in debt due to student loans!

I thought college was supposed to make you smarter, help you get a better, high-paying job...not bankrupt your for the next 25 years.

This is pathetic and seriously makes me want to just drop out and get into something steady with health insurance and try to work my way up and pay off what I already owe before it gets any bigger.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain, for 4 years I worked and made hardly anything yet I never got a red cent. The sad thing is, now that I'm in graduate school where it cost more, I still get turned down. It always made me want to go off in class when people were talking about spending their FAFSA $ on 22' dubs or a new tv, I just wanted to Puke.

I work part time during school and I don't make nearly enough to pay my rent, eat, pay for gas etc. I have to have student loans to pay my tuition at this point because I am getting no financial aid next semester. I made under $7,000 last year btw. My parents would help, but asking them to pay my tuition would be unreasonable based on what they make. More student loans for me!

State Police reimburse for tuiton as well as many hospitals but landing a job at these places are sometimes easier said than done, plus you normally have to sign a contract that forces you to stay with that particular company for so lng after you graduate or you have to repay the money.

:lol::lol: He got jobs to help pay, remember he has to go to class too!
Like my son doesn't have to go to class too?

One job will do it, a lot of them pay 80% of the tuition or more plus your hourly wage, so I really don't get what you're arguing about.

Basically those are the words I got today.

Last week I filled out the FAFSA online in hopes of getting some financial aid for my junior year of college. Today I got a nice letter in the mail stating that my family's EFC (estimated family contribution) is too high for them to give me any aid.

Now, I have not lived with my parents for three years. Nor have they paid any of my tuition in those 3 years. I made between $8,000 and $9,000 last year working part time jobs, etc.

It costs me $9,000 a year in tuition alone, so how in the world can they say I don't need any financial aid? This is ridiculous!

So, now I have to try and find a new student loan company (the old one I had went under and has stopped giving student loans because the economy is so bad) and hope that I'm still not paying these things off when I'm 45. I'm already $25,000+ in debt due to student loans!

I thought college was supposed to make you smarter, help you get a better, high-paying job...not bankrupt your for the next 25 years.

This is pathetic and seriously makes me want to just drop out and get into something steady with health insurance and try to work my way up and pay off what I already owe before it gets any bigger.

Go Army Strong.

Do your parents still claim you as a dependant on their taxes? Sure seems to me that if you're truly independant you would be eligible for help.

If you are eligible to be claimed is what the partner at my accounting firm told me is how they determine if they should use the parents income.

Like my son doesn't have to go to class too?

One job will do it, a lot of them pay 80% of the tuition or more plus your hourly wage, so I really don't get what you're arguing about.

I've never seen a job at or near Eastern Kentucky University that will pay 80% of tuition plus an hourly wage. Never. I've applied for jobs on campus too, they're hard to get.