You're a poor college student...but you make too much money for financial aid...

Aiden Seamus

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen a job at or near Eastern Kentucky University that will pay 80% of tuition plus an hourly wage. Never. I've applied for jobs on campus too, they're hard to get.
I can't speak for where you live, but I do know that they are around here in NKY, as I stated, my son has such a job.

Do your parents still claim you as a dependant on their taxes? Sure seems to me that if you're truly independant you would be eligible for help.

No, they have not claimed me for 2 or 3 years now, however, FAFSA doesn't let you file independently until your at least 24 years old (I'm 22).

Like halfback has already said, there are very few, if any, jobs that pay even 50% of your tuition. I know of a few places that pay some (not 50%) but you have to be there for at least a year before they will pay it. Even if I was to switch jobs and get one of those, I would be out of college before I would get the tuition assistance from the company.

And hb, I agree about a job on campus. EKU is ridiculous when it comes to on-campus employment. If you live off-campus they won't even consider hiring you.

Without knowing anything about your family situation maybe just maybe the government expects (and rightly so I might add IMVHO) that your family help you, if able, before they do.

From what FAFSA says, they should be able to give me over $10,000, but in reality they cannot, and have not for 3 years now.

BTW, there are two of us kids in college, and that didn't help on the FAFSA either.

I am still just ticked about not getting a rebate check when I had to pay taxes last year. :madman:

My girlfriend also did not get a rebate check. Now that I think about it, she got a letter in the mail saying she would be getting one, but it still has not arrived.

But back to FAFSA. One of the things that really upsets me is; I know a guy that went to the same college as me, same grade, etc. His parents were divorced, but his dad made still supported the family and made more than enough to pay for his college. He filed for FAFSA and because his mom made hardly nothing, he got all of his college paid for and he even had $9,000 extra at the end of the year to spend of whatever he wanted.

Stuff like that just seems stupid. I mean, why am I punished because my parents stuck it out and stayed married, but someone who can afford to pay for college doesn't have to because he snaked his way around the system?

But back to FAFSA. One of the things that really upsets me is; I know a guy that went to the same college as me, same grade, etc. His parents were divorced, but his dad made still supported the family and made more than enough to pay for his college. He filed for FAFSA and because his mom made hardly nothing, he got all of his college paid for and he even had $9,000 extra at the end of the year to spend of whatever he wanted.

Stuff like that just seems stupid. I mean, why am I punished because my parents stuck it out and stayed married, but someone who can afford to pay for college doesn't have to because he snaked his way around the system?

My parents are divorced and I got at least some financial aid for the first 4 years of college. In my last semester, my mom is now re-married, and I get nothing. :lol: Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I don't know a whole lot about the system, but I do not think whether your parents are together or divorced has anything to do with it. However, I do know the sooner you file the FAFSA the more likely you are to get Federal Aid. Maybe that has something to do with why you didn't receive any. Maybe not. I've always filed early and always received aid for schooling.

Many people do not realize that there is an appeal process to the student aid decision. There are even lawyers that specialize in that. Your appeal is reviewed under the arbitrary and capricious standard. I would appeal the decision in writing. I personally know very little about the process.

I am still just ticked about not getting a rebate check when I had to pay taxes last year. :madman:

Same here, my folks claim me, but what's dumb is that the rebate doesn't even go to the parents. Mine were going to atleast throw a few hundred my way if they got any. I really could've used the money for school. Usually I'd probably have just thrown it away. But what kills me, is that's the point, the gov't wants people to essentially throw many away to help reboost the economy, but they're not giving it to the people that will do it the most.

Where is it written that your parents or the gov't should provide a college education for the young adults? I was provided with a place to live while I was in school. I would have loved to have gone away to school, but guess what, I couldn't afford to. So I stayed home, and went to school at the local college, took on loans, and worked. A couple of my friends in the same situation as myself, went into the military to pay for their college.

Edited by malachicrunch

No, they have not claimed me for 2 or 3 years now, however, FAFSA doesn't let you file independently until your at least 24 years old (I'm 22).

Like halfback has already said, there are very few, if any, jobs that pay even 50% of your tuition. I know of a few places that pay some (not 50%) but you have to be there for at least a year before they will pay it. Even if I was to switch jobs and get one of those, I would be out of college before I would get the tuition assistance from the company.

And hb, I agree about a job on campus. EKU is ridiculous when it comes to on-campus employment. If you live off-campus they won't even consider hiring you.

My daughter lived off campus at EKU last semester and worked on campus.