You're a poor college student...but you make too much money for financial aid...

Aiden Seamus

College kids deserve a break. How does the government expect us to pay all of this money? We deserve and are owed financial aid for the simple fact that we pay taxes and should get something for it. We pay a lot of taxes for a bunch of ridiculous stuff and dumb programs so I don't understand how you can say that we are not owed anything.
My earlier post, illustrated.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a college student right now, and I agree 100% with LN, no one owes "us" a darn thing. I'm sick of hearing college kids cry about tution and this and that. Why does everyone think they are entitled to things in life? I've worked since I was 15, and have had one 2 week period since then where I was unemployed. Over the summers I've worked full-time to save up as much money as humanly possible. It's not that hard to get by, you just have to be willing to put in the hard work to do it. Sadly most college students anymore are way too lazy to do it.

I have a feeling you will do very well in your future. Good luck.

I think the argument is how they are rising compared to 20 years ago.

And at NKU last year they raised the cost of tuition to build a new lake on campus. Sure the lake looks nice but was it worth increasing the cost of tuition? No.

I do not pay for my school, thankfully. However, I feel for students that do. I work a lot but it does not go towards school. I enjoy working and thats why I do it, and a lot of my friends are the same way. So to say kids now days are lazy and think the government owes them something is not only harsh but wrong as well.

Apparently not in some cases.

Here's a quick example at how your Expected Family Contribution affects the amount of aid you receive. If you're a dependent student, the EFC uses 12% of your parents assets and a number called "Available Income". Available Income could be zero or even negative. The EFC also wants 20% of the students assets and 50% of the student's available income. That's why its better not to have a lot of money in the student's name.

Now for an Independent student, the EFC is based solely upon 20% of the student's assets and 50% of his/her income.

Now the EFC doesn't termine how much aid you get. Its used by the school's financial aid office to allocate aid. In other words, you would probably receive more or less aid from School A than School B.

One last thing. I would consider looking very hard at your FAFSA and maybe having someone else look it over for you. One or two small mistakes could be very costly.

I do remember when I was young and thought free money should be flowing my way.

I will agree that the cost of education is becoming a challenge and one that needs a solution.

However, for you to say you get nothing for all of the taxes you pay is simply selfish, myopic, or naive.

Lastly, Leatherneck faced the exact same challenges you did when he went to Centre so if he can make it.....

:thumb:

My earlier post, illustrated.

Hey, I work pay bills, blah, blah, blah...I know financial aid won't change and I know all of this. I'm just expressing frustration in the flawed system. I'm not asking for the government to pay for all of my school. To ask that is pretty bad because there are scholarships out there to also help. But I am saying that there are poor kids out there that are trying to make a better life for themselves that are not able to that need financial aid but are not given it. There is no reason for that.

Yes I think some, not all, college students are deserving of Financial aid and should receive it but I know it doesn't work like that.

Taxes helping keep tuition low? :lol:

That's funny.

I can't speak for every university but I have seen the budget plan for MSU and seen how they spend the money and where it goes and I can tell you that whenever they get the money doesn't go towards keep tuition lower.

Recently MSU said that they were on a budget crunch and had to cut back spending. Well the President just got a raise and a $20,000 bonus to raise his salary to $250,000 a year. Every faculty member got a percentage raise also. But we're supposed to be cutting back spending I thought. Not to mention the raise in tuition and they raised parking permits to $360 a semester and dorms are between $1500 and $3000 a semester.

Taxes go towards the cost of a running a university. Yes, state schools have placed more of a burden on the attendee and his/her family over the past few years but MY TAXES make it cheaper for you to attend Morehead. Period.

Regarding the raises for the President and the faculty, that's simply a cost of doing business and keeping quality people.

Surely you realize you are getting services for your taxes, right?

Taxes go towards the cost of a running a university. Yes, state schools have placed more of a burden on the attendee and his/her family over the past few years but MY TAXES make it cheaper for you to attend Morehead. Period.

Regarding the raises for the President and the faculty, that's simply a cost of doing business and keeping quality people.

Surely you realize you are getting services for your taxes, right?

I know I am receiving services for my taxes, If it came across like I was saying that I wasn't then I apologize.

But I still stand by the fact that the raises are not simply a cost of business and keeping quality people. There are plenty of teachers here that would rather cancel class or not have class but once a week rather than teach students what they need to be taught. Also it's funny to see how teachers give students wrong information all the time about their major and minor and what route they should take to getting the degree. It's a joke and money is not being spent wisely and students are paying for it when they decide for a change.

I know I am receiving services for my taxes, If it came across like I was saying that I wasn't then I apologize.

But I still stand by the fact that the raises are not simply a cost of business and keeping quality people. There are plenty of teachers here that would rather cancel class or not have class but once a week rather than teach students what they need to be taught. Also it's funny to see how teachers give students wrong information all the time about their major and minor and what route they should take to getting the degree. It's a joke and money is not being spent wisely and students are paying for it when they decide for a change.

Assuming all of the above is true, why in the world would you continue to waste your hard-earned money? Find another school.

Times are a little different now then they were back then, though.

So are you saying someone can't work through college now? Can't take out loans? Make a concession and go to a local college, or go through the military? I have kids that are approaching college age, and if they decide that's what they will do, they understand dear old dad ain't footin the bill. And I seriously doubt they will recieve financial aide due to financial need

Your issue is really with the state fo the economy especially in Kentucky. The state is bringing in less and less tax revenue which means it has less and less to pass on to higher education. However, higher education's costs continue to rise. Combine those two and tuition is what takes the hit.

Your issue is really with the state fo the economy especially in Kentucky. The state is bringing in less and less tax revenue which means it has less and less to pass on to higher education. However, higher education's costs continue to rise. Combine those two and tuition is what takes the hit.

That and just the financial aid system as a whole. It's too unequal and those who need it don't get it and some people get too much and the deadlines are a joke, and it's just crazy.

There are many loopholes for the financial aid system, there is no reason in the world that I should be getting it but I still do. If you know how to move some funds around and manipulate a few things then just about anybody can get it. In your case Aiden, you are a few months behind schedule on your FASFA and that may very well be the reason you received nothing.

On a side note, I spoke with a recruiter yesterday who offered me with a 4 year commitment to serve a $20,000 signing bonus, full tuition coverage and $700 cash in the pocket for each semester till I get my bachelors degree. Not too shabby if you ask me and it's something I'll have to seriously consider.

Go to a community college for 2 years for your associates then the last 2 years for your bachelors. Work as much as you can during the school year and work two jobs if necessary during the summer. Save every dime you can, live as cheap as you can, and make sure you graduate in 4 years instead of 5.

HHDad, is the tuition tax credit still available? Is so, what are the guide lines? Several years ago I took some night classes at the community college while working a full time job. I got 100% of my tuition back as a tax credit. If this is still available you could basically get your first two years paid for. You would have to bust your butt to do it but that is sometimes what you have to do.

I just can't feel sorry for college students...it is hard, but, will only get harder...get used to it now.

Like I said in an earlier thread, if you want it bad enough, you will do what it takes to get it.

I went through a BS and Master's working part time, full time and internship a total of 5 semesters combined in both degrees....plus, I was married and had anywhere from 3 to 5 kids at home. I still pulled a 4.0 and got wonderful reviews at work....and, most important of all, spent quality time with the kids and PH....I spent a lot of time with my family. Just did not sleep much at all....when I did sleep, it was short and hard sleep. I would usually go to bed around 9 pm and get up at 1 or 2 in the morning to make breakfast and do my school work. It can be done....IF you want it bad enough...it really can!!!