You're a poor college student...but you make too much money for financial aid...

Aiden Seamus

This will be my last post in this thread because it has changed from someone talking about not getting financial aid to all the "older and wiser" posters telling us college kids how we are selfish, lazy and think everything should be given to us.

Sure there are many college students that fit into those three categories, but not all. I know I dont. And I know the majority of my friends dont. Maybe the "wiser" generation did a poor job raising my generation. Ever think of it like that ? I dont expect the government to pay my way through college, so I dont know where some of you got that from. The continued bashing towards kids like myself in this thread is low if you ask me, therefore I am done here.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be my last post in this thread because it has changed from someone talking about not getting financial aid to all the "older and wiser" posters telling us college kids how we are selfish, lazy and think everything should be given to us.

Sure there are many college students that fit into those three categories, but not all. I know I dont. And I know the majority of my friends dont. Maybe the "wiser" generation did a poor job raising my generation. Ever think of it like that ? I dont expect the government to pay my way through college, so I dont know where some of you got that from. The continued bashing towards kids like myself in this thread is low if you ask me, therefore I am done here.

I agree with what you have said. Some people on here are jumping to assumptions that they have no clue about. Some of these people had it hard but in today's economy we are having it just as hard if not harder. We don't need a lecture telling us we're lazy and all we do is want. Financial Aid was here when we arrived at college so why shouldn't we get it? We didn't make the rules or tell the government to bring about financial aid, but they did, enough said about that.

This all sounds oh so familiar. I had a perfect situation in which I worked the same job since sophomore year in high school (still there now), PLUS a couple of other summer jobs during college to pick up the slack and after graduating in four and a half years, I still owe my parents $1,500 for helping me out one summer semester. Oh yeah, and I had some financial aide through Ford Motor Company.

There's no such thing as graduate school for me. I'd have to get rich first.

I've stayed up studying until 5-6 in the morning before a test at 8 AM. And then I would have work after that.

I've also gotten up to go to work at 6:30 AM, gotten off at 11 AM, only to have classes up until late in the night.

Before starting college I didn't really think I would finish. Not sure why, but I didn't think I had what it took. I had heard many horror stories about how you had to study all the time and I dreaded it. Not sure how I did it, but I'm almost done with it now. I plan on continuing on and getting my Masters in Criminal Justice at EKU...if not at EKU hopefully I can get into grad school somewhere.

Good Job!!!:dancingpa

How about doing great in high school and getting an academic scholarship. I am real close to a person that did this. Was this person the smartest one in high school? Not even close, but was the hardest working and most dedicated to achieve the only way college was possible. Full rideto Villa Madonna (now TMC), 2 degrees. This person is my mother, whose family was dirt poor. I attribute much of my successes in life to her. Years ago when my kids were very young, I was lamenting saving for their college education. My mother pointed out to me that paying for their college education was not my responsibilty. My responsibility was to try to instill the drive and work ethic in them to succeed in whatever path they chose.

How about doing great in high school and getting an academic scholarship. I am real close to a person that did this. Was this person the smartest one in high school? Not even close, but was the hardest working and most dedicated to achieve the only way college was possible. Full rideto Villa Madonna (now TMC), 2 degrees. This person is my mother, whose family was dirt poor. I attribute much of my successes in life to her. Years ago when my kids were very young, I was lamenting saving for their college education. My mother pointed out to me that paying for their college education was not my responsibilty. My responsibility was to try to instill the drive and work ethic in them to succeed in whatever path they chose.

:thumb:. There's no way I could be at Transy without my Academic scholarship. It doesn't get anywhere close to covering full tuition so there's still grants and loans in there. As well as work study. Trying to balance workstudy, studying, and a sport isn't always the easiest thing in the world, but I was given the chance to continue doing what i loved and get a great education. Even though I'll have loans to pay off. But there's no way I could be where i'm at without the aid I receive and I'm very thankful for that.

So, here's a dilemma....you're going to private college, for instance. You've received a scholarship that covers roughly half the cost, but you're on your own for the one half. You get loans to cover the other half, and contribute, and your family contributes. If you don't keep your scholarship, the whole house of cards falls, and you have to leave that school. Do you risk your scholarship to work more and potentially have your grades suffer? Or do you work as much as you can, without sacrificing your time to study? Oh...and the town where your school is located doesn't have any opportunities where employers pay your tuition.

:thumb:. There's no way I could be at Transy without my Academic scholarship. It doesn't get anywhere close to covering full tuition so there's still grants and loans in there. As well as work study. Trying to balance workstudy, studying, and a sport isn't always the easiest thing in the world, but I was given the chance to continue doing what i loved and get a great education. Even though I'll have loans to pay off. But there's no way I could be where i'm at without the aid I receive and I'm very thankful for that.

That's great. I'm glad you have made it work out for you, and you are gracious for what has been provided to you. I just had a problem with those that are coming off as something is owed to them. Good luck:thumb:

Many people do not realize that there is an appeal process to the student aid decision. There are even lawyers that specialize in that. Your appeal is reviewed under the arbitrary and capricious standard. I would appeal the decision in writing. I personally know very little about the process.

Thanks for that advice...I know I never knew that.

Mine too and I'm not a dang bit happy about it. But that's for a different thread.

Given a choice, I'd rather my tax dollars were spent financing college student's educations, giving them the opportunity to avoid the alternative, my tax dollars funding their whole life.