Adam Dunn trade rumors (I'm publicly stating I do not want him traded_

I should have been more specific. The rumor I heard was getting Nomar in return.

I would be against this.

I would take Lidge, if it came with another pitching prospect.

I agree with this 100%. If they get good young pitchers in return, I would do it, or even a speedy young outfielder, not Nomar.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could live with that.....Saltalamacchia is a good young C, something this team really needs.

He's 22, has played in 20 games, hitting .309 with a couple HRs and 7 RBIs...Supposed to be solid defensively as well.

The money saved on the trade would be lost, can you imagine how much it cost for all those extra letter on the back of jersey? That has to be one of the longest names in the history of MLB. I saw him on 2nd base during a recent Braves telecast, the S and A start and finish at the cheeks.

I could live with that.....Saltalamacchia is a good young C, something this team really needs.

He's 22, has played in 20 games, hitting .309 with a couple HRs and 7 RBIs...Supposed to be solid defensively as well.

Saltalamacchia (gee, that's a mouthful) would be a nice part of a package for Dunn and/or Griffey ... I suspect the Reds could get a little more than that from a team that needs one of those guys to get over the hump.

Saltalamacchia isn't going to be a regular catcher in Atlanta with Brian McCann there, but his bat shows enough promise that the Braves are talking about giving him a look at first base.

Dunn is an offensive weapon, but not in the conventional sense. I've always thought he needs to hit second behind a leadoff man that can get on base and run ... he takes enough pitches to give the guy a chance to run, he can pull balls through the hole at first base and he's a very patient hitter that can get on base for the middle of the order. Plus, as all Reds fans know, he isn't a big RBI guy because of his high strikeout total.

I felt the Reds should have traded Dunn a couple of years ago when his value was highest ... he just doesn't seem like the kind of player that will age well.

The numbers don't lie he produces runs in a lot of ways.

Here's a measure used by a site called The Hardball Times. Its called runs created and is defined as such:

Runs Created. Invented by Bill James, RC is a very good measure of the number of runs a batter truly contributed to his team’s offense. The basic formula for RC is OBP*TB, but it has evolved into over fourteen different versions. We use the most complicated version, which includes the impact of hitting well with runners in scoring position, and is adjusted for ballpark impact.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/index.php?view=batting&linesToDisplay=100&orderBy=rc&direction=DESC&qual_filter=1&season_filter%5B%5D=2007&league_filter%5B%5D=2&pos_filter%5B%5D=All&Submit=Submit

You will see that Dunn is currently 33rd in the NL.

Here is a link to the 2006 season:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/index.php?view=batting&linesToDisplay=100&orderBy=rc&direction=DESC&qual_filter=1&season_filter%5B%5D=2006&league_filter%5B%5D=2&pos_filter%5B%5D=All&Submit=Submit

Dunn was 28th.

Dunn is tantalizing....

The biggest problem I have with him is that he will command a lot of money next year...I believe around 13 million. Is he worth 13 million for what he gives the Reds...some offense and little to no defense? 13 million for his overall production, on and off field with the Reds market is not a good mix. Just my opinion.

I'd shop him for a while and not take the first best offer....as the deadline approaches and teams need to figure out if they are "in" or "not" you may get a lot of value.

Houston will not give up Brad Lidge...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6911370

Club officials says the team would need to be "blown away" to trade the reliever now that he has returned to form and regained the closer's role.

If you get some solid young help in the bullpen and use Dunner's money towards either a well-rounded 3B/1B or a quality starting pitcher in the offseason, by all means, pull the deal. I've been against it before, but after reading John Clay's article today, you really see just how average Dunner is, especially in the clutch.

http://johnclay.typepad.com/sidelines/2007/06/why_the_reds_sh.html

I don't see why Houston would trade Lidge for Dunn ... sure, they need offense, but they already have Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee at 1B and LF, and playing Dunn in RF would give them the worst defensive outfield in the majors.

Houston will not give up Brad Lidge...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6911370

Club officials says the team would need to be "blown away" to trade the reliever now that he has returned to form and regained the closer's role.

If you get some solid young help in the bullpen and use Dunner's money towards either a well-rounded 3B/1B or a quality starting pitcher in the offseason, by all means, pull the deal. I've been against it before, but after reading John Clay's article today, you really see just how average Dunner is, especially in the clutch.

http://johnclay.typepad.com/sidelines/2007/06/why_the_reds_sh.html

Isn't Votto's natural position 1st base? 3B is a need, but more than anything, the Reds need more consistent hitting and bullpen production.

Isn't Votto's natural position 1st base? 3B is a need, but more than anything, the Reds need more consistent hitting and bullpen production.

Why is 3B a need? The Reds have a 24 year old that has played as well as any 3B in the league the past month.

Thought this was good.

Now, Dunn has his faults, but if the Reds move him, I suspect they'll receive a king's ransom in return. Who else out there has hit at least 40 home runs each of the past three years? You might point to his batting average and his obscene number of strikeouts, but to that I saw hogwash. The guy has a career .377 OBP, so his batting average means nothing to me.

As for the strikeouts, well, that's the price you pay when you ask a guy to mash the ball as hard as he can every time he steps to the plate. But really, If you put a guy slugging over .500 in the middle of your lineup, chances are good things will happen. You may cringe when he strikes out, but you'll be cheering when he sends a ball into orbit.

His defense is an issue, but if you're a GM of a team that's sorely lacking left-handed power, I guarantee you'll find a spot for him in your lineup, whether it's in the outfield, first base or DH. Figuring out where to play a guy like Dunn is a problem most managers would like to have.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/11/report-adam-dunn-is-already-on-the-trade-market/

Thought this was good.

Now, Dunn has his faults, but if the Reds move him, I suspect they'll receive a king's ransom in return. Who else out there has hit at least 40 home runs each of the past three years? You might point to his batting average and his obscene number of strikeouts, but to that I saw hogwash. The guy has a career .377 OBP, so his batting average means nothing to me.

As for the strikeouts, well, that's the price you pay when you ask a guy to mash the ball as hard as he can every time he steps to the plate. But really, If you put a guy slugging over .500 in the middle of your lineup, chances are good things will happen. You may cringe when he strikes out, but you'll be cheering when he sends a ball into orbit.

His defense is an issue, but if you're a GM of a team that's sorely lacking left-handed power, I guarantee you'll find a spot for him in your lineup, whether it's in the outfield, first base or DH. Figuring out where to play a guy like Dunn is a problem most managers would like to have.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/11/report-adam-dunn-is-already-on-the-trade-market/

I agree....:thumb: