Open Job: Kentucky

Just now, TheDeuce said:

You are grossly under-representing UConn…

If they win tonight, they will have six titles, all since 2000.

Hurley isn’t leaving a back-to-back National champion for Kentucky. 

Agreed

RE: Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. I can't see UK's first calls going out to anyone who's been removed a decade plus from coaching college basketball. To start, Stevens ain't leaving that gig. Donovan is pretty well respected in the NBA coaching ranks but has been dealt a crappy hand with a terrible front-office situation. It is not normal to see ingrained NBA people return to college. Donovan is certainly more of a possibility, I'll give you that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Well, their first title was in '99, so only five (potentially) since 2000. By my math, Hurley is a done deal. 😄

I have a feeling it will end up being Scott Drew, but that is only based on the fact he has been at Baylor so long (21 years, which is insane). He has had some mixed tournament results, but it is also Baylor, not exactly a blue blood program. And he got them a title, which is insanely good. He took over the dumpster fire of all dumpster fires.

22 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I understand 100% what you are saying.  In fact my initial thoughts were exactly the same as yours but I just started tossing some other ideas around in my head (which is usually never good🤣).

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

UConn has basically became a blue blood and now will only be two titles behind UK if he wins it tonight. He can continue to build his legacy by staying at UConn and trying to become a legendary coach that has even won more than 2 titles. He can do all that while now having all the extra pressure that comes with this UK job, where literally a coach is maxed out after 10 years. 

With that said as you mentioned sometimes coaches like a challenge. So that could be the small chance he leaves. 

And that is all I was thinking....does he need a new challenge?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckT said:

What about Sampson from Houston?  I think he would be a terrific fit!

I think Sampson is great, but he would be run out of town by week 11 due to his style of play. Not to mention, he is pushing 70.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Thank goodness UK is out of the Calipari contract. Hire a coach that can develop players and make UK great again!

Always interesting when people try to say Calipari doesn’t develop players. The majority of players that stayed more than one year got much better every year under him. Then even players that weren’t suppose to be one and done, ended up becoming first round picks and even lottery picks under him. While Calipari may have not always been the best X and O coach. He actually did do a good job developing players. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have seen a few reports on that possibly as early as this Wednesday or Thursday that Kentucky intends to offer Dan Hurley a deal that “he can’t refuse” according to sources close with Kentucky’s AD Mitch Barnhart  

The deal would reportedly make Dan Hurley the highest paid coach in college basketball history.

They do now have an extra $33 million they don’t have to pay out. 

24 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I have seen a few reports on that possibly as early as this Wednesday or Thursday that Kentucky intends to offer Dan Hurley a deal that “he can’t refuse” according to sources close with Kentucky’s AD Mitch Barnhart  

The deal would reportedly make Dan Hurley the highest paid coach in college basketball history.

They do now have an extra $33 million they don’t have to pay out. 

"a deal he can't refuse."

Are we bringing in Luka Brazzi to hold a gun to his head and telling him to sign???

I'm not saying we shouldn't, just asking.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Always interesting when people try to say Calipari doesn’t develop players. The majority of players that stayed more than one year got much better every year under him. Then even players that weren’t suppose to be one and done, ended up becoming first round picks and even lottery picks under him. While Calipari may have not always been the best X and O coach. He actually did do a good job developing players. 

I think every player on this year's team was better at the end of the than at the start of the year.

• Like 1

Really glad to see Cal leaving Lex, let’s hire a coach first, recruiter second and may UK basketball return to UK basketball, Brad Stevens first, Billy D second, Jay Wright third.