Open Job: Kentucky

Hopefully Barnhart is on the phone tonight setting up interviews over the next two or three days. 

Absolutely need a coach named this week. New coach will have 10 spots or more needing to be filled ASAP.

28 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Order of calls if I'm the AD.

Jay Wright, got to swing for the fences at least once.

Drew at Baylor

Then...maybe Oats at Bama

Why Scott Drew? I have heard people mention his name a lot. I’m just not sure how he fits what people say they want. In the last 7 years he has made it past the second round only once. Now that one year he did make it past the second round they won the title. However, that standard wouldn’t go well here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I’m going with Billy Donovan in about two weeks when the Bulls lose out in the playin tournament. 

Billy Donovan isn't walking through that door. 

1 minute ago, futurecoach said:

Why Scott Drew? I have heard people mention his name a lot. I’m just not sure how he fits what people say they want. In the last 7 years he has made it past the second round only once. Now that one year he did make it past the second round they won the title. However, that standard wouldn’t go well here. 

I may have pulled that trigger too quickly. I know for a couple of years he's been a hot name, but like Shaka Smart he's only had one great postseason run. 

I'll scratch Drew, I'd didn't think it through.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I’m going with Billy Donovan in about two weeks when the Bulls lose out in the playin tournament. 

I been saying that for the last couple of years. It didn’t make sense when Donovan was in college still. However, coming from the NBA to UK is much more possible. Plus he has now had a taste of the NBA and probably sees he won’t ever win big there. 

To me he should be the first call. Then Jay Wright, Brad Steven’s, Dan Hurley. I would make all four of them say no first. Then if that doesn’t work, I honestly would then call Pitino. See if he can give you 5 years, and prepare for the next big coaching search then. 

Next ones after that for me would be Bruce Pearl, Nate Oats. 

If Mitch just wants to play if safe, and to follow in line with the UK tradition of coaches after legends. Then Tom Izzo will be the next head coach. He will fit into the Joe B Hall, Tubby category. Very good coach, not most exciting style, fans never fully embrace during his time here, but could bring a title during his tenure. 

12 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Why not? I’ve seen stories he is not that happy in Chicago or they with him. 

who do you think is walking through that door?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I truly think it’s more of a possibility than people realize this time around. I do think there was true smoke there back in the day. But would have been to hard for him to make that jump leaving a championship program he built to go to an SEC rival at the time. He isn’t going to ever win big in the NBA. So I do think it is more a possibility this time. 

• Like 2

A name that won’t come up, because would be way to risky to take a chance on a guy so unproven. However, a good young coach that I think may end up being one of the best ones in the game in a few years is Florida’s current coach Todd Golden. I don’t think UK or Mitch is in a position to take a chance on him right now, but I do think he is someone that will land a big job like this eventually. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Why not? I’ve seen stories he is not that happy in Chicago or they with him. 

who do you think is walking through that door?

Donovan has had two chances at this job and has never hinted that he was interested either time. With his name on the Florida Court, I just don't think UK will ever be an option for him.

UK fans would lose their minds if Mitch waited a month to try to hire Donovan, after the NBA season.