Cincinnati Reds Offseason (2021-2022)

11 hours ago, The Raven said:

I won't miss the Amir Garrett sideshow, but still don't understand the move,  They traded away a guy in his "prime" and got little to nothing in return.

If it was just that, it would be bad enough.  The kicker is they're paying the new guy $8 million MORE than the guy they just got rid of.  You literally could've given Amir Garrett to another team, AND offered to pay his salary...and you still would've been in better financial shape.

SELL THE TEAM, BOB!

11 hours ago, brown4 said:

No to both.

No way they lose 120.  Even the worst Detroit Tiger and Baltimore Oriole teams avoided that.   I could easily see this team, as currently constructed, losing 101 games though.   No proven pitching and their big proven bat is Votto, who is at the end of his career.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:14 PM, The Raven said:

Everyone can relax.  The Reds have signed Tommy Pham.  Looks like they are back in playoff contention.  :classic_laugh:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2022/03/24/cincinnati-reds-free-agency-what-tommy-pham-brings-lineup/7156494001/

17 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Screenshot_20220328-092011.png

The Reds will make a run at a playoff spot. The more I look at the things they're doing the more it makes sense. There was zero indication Wade Miley can repeat what he did. If Sonny Gray is what he was last year then you're better seeing what the young guys can do. 

They got rid of a couple of guys that were fan favorites, but in turn got rid of a major liability that Bell played every day and had in the middle of the lineup (Suarez). Not signing Castellano's is the biggest question mark, but if you look at his 2020 vs his 2021, which guy are you going to get? Heck of a liability to lock into that for 5 years. 

They've put a lot of trust into Moose and Senzel staying healthy, and I get that is a huge risk, but if they do stay healthy then they will chase a playoff spot and be relevant. They've put together a solid bullpen and in today's game the bullpen means more than starting pitching in most cases. You still have your Sherzer's, etc, that go 7 every time out, but that isn't what today's game is. He isn't as polished defensively as Barnhart, but Stephenson getting majority of the at-bats at catcher improves the lineup. They've picked up a few guys that have a track record of decent OBP. 

I'm not sold to the point of going to Vegas in favor of the Reds, but I am willing to let people know that if you get past the initial gut punch and look below the surface, things may not be as awful as we believe. So many people are unhappy that they lost/traded the same hitters that let us down when the bullpen pulled it together down the stretch last year. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

The Reds will make a run at a playoff spot. The more I look at the things they're doing the more it makes sense. There was zero indication Wade Miley can repeat what he did. If Sonny Gray is what he was last year then you're better seeing what the young guys can do. 

They got rid of a couple of guys that were fan favorites, but in turn got rid of a major liability that Bell played every day and had in the middle of the lineup (Suarez). Not signing Castellano's is the biggest question mark, but if you look at his 2020 vs his 2021, which guy are you going to get? Heck of a liability to lock into that for 5 years. 

They've put a lot of trust into Moose and Senzel staying healthy, and I get that is a huge risk, but if they do stay healthy then they will chase a playoff spot and be relevant. They've put together a solid bullpen and in today's game the bullpen means more than starting pitching in most cases. You still have your Sherzer's, etc, that go 7 every time out, but that isn't what today's game is. He isn't as polished defensively as Barnhart, but Stephenson getting majority of the at-bats at catcher improves the lineup. They've picked up a few guys that have a track record of decent OBP. 

I'm not sold to the point of going to Vegas in favor of the Reds, but I am willing to let people know that if you get past the initial gut punch and look below the surface, things may not be as awful as we believe. So many people are unhappy that they lost/traded the same hitters that let us down when the bullpen pulled it together down the stretch last year. 

I'm not really sold on what you're selling, but who knows, time will tell.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, ChickenWyngz said:

Agreed!

On 3/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, Coach112 said:

Hunter Greene will make his MLB debut April 10th vs the Braves.

I wish he was making his much anticipated debut at GABP.

Especially since his second start might be at LA Dodgers. 

Don't drink the Hunter Greene Kool-aid.  We drafted his in the first round five years ago.  If this guy had the potential to be an impact player, with all of the slugs we have run through here in that time, we'd have seen him up here in the bigs by now.  Another wasted top draft choice gone bust. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Don't drink the Hunter Greene Kool-aid.  We drafted his in the first round five years ago.  If this guy had the potential to be an impact player, with all of the slugs we have run through here in that time, we'd have seen him up here in the bigs by now.  Another wasted top draft choice gone bust. 

Even with Tommy John surgery he should have been here before now, out of high school? He is 22. That is young without TJ surgery interrupting. My biggest concern is they are rushing him here too soon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Even with Tommy John surgery he should have been here before now, out of high school? He is 22. That is young without TJ surgery interrupting. My biggest concern is they are rushing him here too soon.

Completely agree here.  For others to say he is a bust, is comical at best.

• Like 1