Cincinnati Reds Offseason (2021-2022)

10 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Reds aren't signing Correa.  He turned down a 6-year, $120M deal from the Astros before the season started.  That's for a team that's gone to the World Series multiple years.  He ain't gonna want to come to Cincinnati.

If we're dreaming of pie-in-the-sky scenarios, I'd say there'd be a greater chance for the Reds to sign Kyle Schwarber.  

I know Correa is the ultimate pipe dream.   Schwarber is very realistic, but can he stay healthy?

8 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Reds decline $10M option for Wade Miley and put him on waivers. He's quickly picked up by the Cubs.

I sort of understand this.  Miley was by far their most consistent arm last season, but I don't think he's worth what they would have had to pay him.   But by doing this, you are forced to go out and probably overpay for an arm.   

Krall has already stated they are going to take a "wait and see" approach to free agency.  If that is so, it could be an ugly offseason.   It's going to take a trade or signing of Griffey-like proportions to satisfy the fanbase.

6 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Luis Castillo trade rumors back for the 2nd straight offseason. Several clubs checking in about him.

I'm not overly concerned about being willing to trade Castillo. My bigger issue would be trusting the Reds to get a true return. Find a team that under no circumstances would ever listen to a trade about a specific player and I'll find a team that isn't successful for long. 

Many fans recognize where the Reds are going to be each year payroll wise and want them to be like the Rays, who compete annually. You can't be the Rays and never consider trading a guy like Castillo. It is literally how they stay relevant and in the race. 

54 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I'm not overly concerned about being willing to trade Castillo. My bigger issue would be trusting the Reds to get a true return. Find a team that under no circumstances would ever listen to a trade about a specific player and I'll find a team that isn't successful for long. 

Many fans recognize where the Reds are going to be each year payroll wise and want them to be like the Rays, who compete annually. You can't be the Rays and never consider trading a guy like Castillo. It is literally how they stay relevant and in the race. 

I have zero faith that the Reds will do much of anything right this offseason.  In all honesty, it would not surprise me that not only will Castillo be gone, but Sonny Gray and Jesse Winker as well.  Mike Moustakas will/would be gone too, if they could find a dance partner willing to give them a bag of balls in exchange, just to dump his salary.  They don't care about anything other than slashing payroll.  Not only is the goal probably to get below $100M, but maybe even $90M.  And when you consider that Votto is going to take up $25M of that, and Suarez another $11M...there's not a lot left to go around.

Next season is going to be rough to watch.  Will be another battle with the Pirates to stay out of the basement.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Raven said:

This may all be a moot point.  Looks like there is going to be a significant work stoppage.   Maybe Castellini can save enough money then to be serious.    Either that or sell the team to someone that will be so.

Well, if there is a work stoppage and part or all of the season is lost, the Reds will have to pay fans to show up at the park.

40 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Well, if there is a work stoppage and part or all of the season is lost, the Reds will have to pay fans to show up at the park.

That is my one major issue with the sport I love above all others.  When markets like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Cincinnati and Miami put basically a AA team on the field and then blame the fans not coming as the reason they have no money to compete.  Like the mutli million dollar Bally Sports contract goes into owners pockets and not onto the field.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:13 PM, The Raven said:

That is my one major issue with the sport I love above all others.  When markets like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Cincinnati and Miami put basically a AA team on the field and then blame the fans not coming as the reason they have no money to compete.  Like the mutli million dollar Bally Sports contract goes into owners pockets and not onto the field.

They need a salary minimum as well as a salary cap.  

• Like 1

Over the past week, I have read articles saying the Michael Lorenzen has been approached by a couple of teams interested in him being a starter.  That's what he's always wanted to do, so I imagine he'll be signing with someone other than the Reds.

Also Sonny Gray and Luis Castillo have both been mentioned as part of trade packages.

Hey Bob...the next time you have to "align your payroll", just sell the team.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...