Cincinnati Reds Offseason (2021-2022)

28 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

First significant move of the year...catcher Tucker Barnhart has been traded to the Detroit Tigers, for minor league infielder Nick Quintana.

Barnhart had an option for $7.5 million this year, or a buyout of $500,000.

I hate to see Barnhart go because of how good he was defensively.  However, I guess it is time to hand over the baton to Tyler Stephenson and bring up the next catching prospect from the minors as a backup.

Just now, nkypete said:

I hate to see Barnhart go because of how good he was defensively.  However, I guess it is time to hand over the baton to Tyler Stephenson and bring up the next catching prospect from the minors as a backup.

Yeah, I think everybody saw the writing on the wall.  His salary would darn near double from the $4M this past year, and would still be splitting time with Stephenson.  Just hate that we have a guy for 8 years, and he wins 2 Gold Gloves, and get pretty much nothing in return.

Somewhat surprised me when I saw that he was the second longest tenured Red, behind Votto.

Freeing up cash to make a run a replacing (or resigning) Castellanos?  Or Making a run at a reliable starter or bolstering the relief corp?  Whatever it is, they better not mess it up because they are trading away a fan favorite to do it.   And they don't dare use the word rebuild.

10 hours ago, The Raven said:

Freeing up cash to make a run a replacing (or resigning) Castellanos?  Or Making a run at a reliable starter or bolstering the relief corp?  Whatever it is, they better not mess it up because they are trading away a fan favorite to do it.   And they don't dare use the word rebuild.

Nick Castellanos opts out. Castellanos, 29, had .309/.362/.576 slash line this year. Had $34M and 2 years to go. Now a free agent.

32 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Nick Castellanos opts out. Castellanos, 29, had .309/.362/.576 slash line this year. Had $34M and 2 years to go. Now a free agent.

Everyone should have probably saw that coming after the season he had.  Love to find a way to keep him but I just don't see it happening.

1 minute ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Everyone should have probably saw that coming after the season he had.  Love to find a way to keep him but I just don't see it happening.

Agreed. I think the Reds should offer him 20 a year for 2-3 years. It would be a raise and keep him hitting in GABP, where his stats were best. It would also give him a chance to cash in again in his age 31-32 season when he could still get a fat stack of cash. 

If he turns it down, take your comp pick and sign a couple platoon guys. They simply can't fall into a bad contract if ownership is going to continue to spend (or not spend) as they have in the past. 

3 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Have to believe that trading Barnhart was to free up money to pay Castellanos.  I don’t think he stays, but who knows.  They need to take the money saved and approach someone else like Andrew McCutcheon.

Cutch is behind his prime isn’t he?

On 11/3/2021 at 3:15 PM, nkypete said:

Agree, hated to see Barnhart go also.  Thought he handled pitchers pretty well, a ballplayer. IMO, Stephenson not near the catcher Barnhart was and I believe Stephenson's future with Redlegs is not behind the plate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Doesn't mean the Reds can't resign him.   I saw where they offered a tender for like 18, but he's sure to get more than that.  Either the Reds pony up more or be happy with the compensatory pick.

This will never happen, but if Castellanos leaves, maybe they sign Carlos Correa to play short and move Kyle Farmer to the outfield.   He's proven he's capable of playing any position.

11 hours ago, The Raven said:

Doesn't mean the Reds can't resign him.   I saw where they offered a tender for like 18, but he's sure to get more than that.  Either the Reds pony up more or be happy with the compensatory pick.

This will never happen, but if Castellanos leaves, maybe they sign Carlos Correa to play short and move Kyle Farmer to the outfield.   He's proven he's capable of playing any position.

Reds aren't signing Correa.  He turned down a 6-year, $120M deal from the Astros before the season started.  That's for a team that's gone to the World Series multiple years.  He ain't gonna want to come to Cincinnati.

If we're dreaming of pie-in-the-sky scenarios, I'd say there'd be a greater chance for the Reds to sign Kyle Schwarber.