We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

6 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I worry that the skepticism and resistance people have toward this vaccine will start trickling down to all the other vaccines that we've been using for years, like measles, polio etc. 

This x 10,000,000! And you can see it already.

I'm going say it. People are nuts. If you don't get the COVID vaccine, ok. But now much of this community (I fear) is going to go all-in on these vaccine conspiracy theories that were permeating on social media pre-COVID and become more mainstream. Why not? Let's bring back the plague while we are it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I worry that the skepticism and resistance people have toward this vaccine will start trickling down to all the other vaccines that we've been using for years, like measles, polio etc. 

I've heard people say "polio isn't even a problem anymore." 

Ya don't say?? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Ya don't say?? 😂

When I hear this mindset it drives me nuts. And the general response is, "Well do your research. This vaccine causes autism." That is another way of saying, "I found out from facebook that a crackpot doctor says vaccines are bad and there is a whole community subscribing to this!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bugatti said:

When I hear this mindset it drives me nuts. And the general response is, "Well do your research. This vaccine causes autism." That is another way of saying, "I found out from facebook that a crackpot doctor says vaccines are bad and there is a whole community subscribing to this!"

Ignorance is running rampant, maybe more than ever. 

34 minutes ago, bugatti said:

This x 10,000,000! And you can see it already.

I'm going say it. People are nuts. If you don't get the COVID vaccine, ok. But now much of this community (I fear) is going to go all-in on these vaccine conspiracy theories that were permeating on social media pre-COVID and become more mainstream. Why not? Let's bring back the plague while we are it.

It’s frightening. When I hear people say “I’ll trust my immune system”, I wonder if they feel the same way about polio, measles, tetanus, etc? 

37 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Ya don't say?? 😂

It’s not a problem because we developed a vaccine that pretty much everyone willingly took. I’m not sure how people can’t or why they won’t take note of that connection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

It’s frightening. When I hear people say “I’ll trust my immune system”, I wonder if they feel the same way about polio, measles, tetanus, etc? 

Apples and oranges, and yes I will trust my immune system. 

• Like 2

Was looking at international vaccination rates the other day, I was surprised how low the numbers are across the board.  With all of the propaganda we hear out there I thought numbers would be much higher. Japan, who is host to the Olympics, only has 22% of its population vaccinated. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Was looking at international vaccination rates the other day, I was surprised how low the numbers are across the board.  With all of the propaganda we hear out there I thought numbers would be much higher. Japan, who is host to the Olympics, only has 22% of its population vaccinated. 

Many countries - Japan being one of them - have been really slow with the rollout. Japan has enough vaccines to cover the country, but there is a more rigorous testing they do for foreign vaccines, lack of staff to administer shots, and of course hesitancy.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:35 AM, Kentucky Windage said:

I'm going to give my immune system a chance. The same with my kids. We fall into the least impacted category. Those with the vaccine are catching the Delta variant. I haven't social distanced since June last year. I'm pretty sure me and my family will be okay. Heading to West Virginia this weekend then South Carolina for two weeks. Unafraid. Will report back. 

Genuine, heartfelt prayers to you and your family that your good luck continues.

I am all for choice in getting the vaccine.  I am totally upset with the talk about starting up masking protocols again, as well as MANDATING vaccines in certain occupations.  I work in a hospital and we were told the vaccine is voluntary.  People took it or did not. We were not pressured in any way, and no restrictions were placed against those who did not take the vaccine.  Oddly enough the flu vaccine was mandated for years until this year. 

I test patients daily for Covid and it has been months since I had a patient test positive.

IMO, the media is still driving the hysteria train.

I took the vaccine, which was my choice.  I respect those who did not.  Like everything else, we all live with the consequences of our choices.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 1:13 PM, bugatti said:

In all honesty, this on my mind. My 5-year old is on the spectrum and, I'm not saying it was the cause, but I remember thinking when he was about eighteen months old "Gee we are shooting him up with a ton of drugs these last six months." I'm not saying it sparked autism and I can't even say that my son "seemed different" right after the vaccines, but I felt uncomfortable when it was going on and I didn't say anything. I just chickened out and trusted the professionals.

I have a 9-year old healthy boy and I do not know if I want him to get the vaccine when the age limit drops.  

• Like 1

Made it back from West Virginia without a problem. We went rafting on the Upper and Lower New River. It was an absolute blast. We were with families from Columbus Ohio, Ashville North Carolina, New Haven Connecticut, & Assateague Island, Maryland. All of us didn't have the vaccine and nobody were a mask (not a brag, just reporting). We all ate and drank a lot. Now back to work for four days before heading off for Hilton Head South Carolina. 

I'm happy to report that all of us made it back home safely and in good health. I was a little upset the the water in the river was a little low so we didn't hit as big of rapids as I was really hoping to. But we'll definitely get the bigger rapids when we go back in September for Gauley season.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Made it back from West Virginia without a problem. We went rafting on the Upper and Lower New River. It was an absolute blast. We were with families from Columbus Ohio, Ashville North Carolina, New Haven Connecticut, & Assateague Island, Maryland. All of us didn't have the vaccine and nobody were a mask (not a brag, just reporting). We all ate and drank a lot. Now back to work for four days before heading off for Hilton Head South Carolina. 

I'm happy to report that all of us made it back home safely and in good health. I was a little upset the the water in the river was a little low so we didn't hit as big of rapids as I was really hoping to. But we'll definitely get the bigger rapids when we go back in September for Gauley season.

Sounds like fun. 🙂

On 7/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, Beechwoodfan said:

I am all for choice in getting the vaccine.  I am totally upset with the talk about starting up masking protocols again, as well as MANDATING vaccines in certain occupations.  I work in a hospital and we were told the vaccine is voluntary.  People took it or did not. We were not pressured in any way, and no restrictions were placed against those who did not take the vaccine.  Oddly enough the flu vaccine was mandated for years until this year. 

I test patients daily for Covid and it has been months since I had a patient test positive.

IMO, the media is still driving the hysteria train.

I took the vaccine, which was my choice.  I respect those who did not.  Like everything else, we all live with the consequences of our choices.

I am pretty much in line with most of this thinking. I think mandates in general are counterproductive and forces people to dig in even more. We also are required (mandated) to do things that are second nature to us every day. I think the mandating talk is still more boogeyman than anything else. There might be some one off situations you hear about, but I am out and about all the time. The number of places I have been or know of that are requiring the COVID vaccine to enter: 0. There are some industries which may require more immunizations than others, so I get how those might be mandated.

I have loved following Derek Thompson when he has been on with Bill Simmons through the pandemic. He is a journalist with The Atlantic but has had the most common sense reporting with all of this and been ahead of the curve. He was always big on air circulation, saying how silly it was for surface wipe-downs (as it pertains to killing COVID), and about the confusing messaging from leaders and regulatory authorities that has taken place from the start. He talked a bit about the recent "hysteria" and that when every person is going a certain direction with COVID, there is a zag which exists that is more likely the truth. His one exception to this has been the recent surge in the un-vaccinated. When you hear the rising cases - but more importantly rising death numbers - are coming from the un-vaccinated, this is not conjecture or subject to number manipulation. This is undeniable and the numbers are alarming. It is a highly contagious disease still running its course through nature. Whether you think the vaccine does no good, your arm will fall off, or that Bill Gates is now listening to you, it has drastically lowered the amount of COVID cases and deaths. That's a fact. Or as he put it, "I totally get distrusting Big Pharma. But I will never understand the insistence of some people to believe the authorized vaccines are do-nothing arm goop. Imagine if the vaccines really were just (crap): This would be the strangest mass placebo effect in the history of science."

Also interesting - and I get this - is the hesitancy of a large segment of the un-vaccinated since the FDA has not given full-on approval. If they were to give the approval, this would change their minds. When asked why they haven't approved, Thompson said the FDA final approval process is something they will not budge on to rush. It is a stringent review, and will do their due-diligence before signing on the dotted line. We are still a few months from their final seal of approval. 

• Like 2