We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

3 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Here's the thing Deuce, the vaccine isn't a Savior and that is how some people have embraced it.  To the point that they shame others for not participating.  Take it or don't,  it really doesn't matter to me.  It shouldn't matter to anyone. 

I think it is wrong to shame anyone for (not) getting the vaccine. On the flip side, I am not opposed to shaming those you care about because you worry they could become extremely ill or pass. So I can't go all the way to "shouldn't matter to anyone." My mom is 76 with a history of respiratory issues. I stayed on her until she got her shots. If that is ill-advised, then I will own that one.  If many on here are pushing for shots of fellow members, I think much of it comes from a good place as they don't want to see anything bad happen to said fellow members or their loved ones as a result of an inaction.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Here's the thing Deuce, the vaccine isn't a Savior and that is how some people have embraced it.  To the point that they shame others for not participating.  Take it or don't,  it really doesn't matter to me.  It shouldn't matter to anyone. 

I hear what you're saying, I really do. It's just impossible to ignore the benefits of it at this point. 

I want to get back to normal just like everyone else, and I think the vaccine is a big part of the equation to get us there, that's why I advocate for it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I hear what you're saying, I really do. It's just impossible to ignore the benefits of it at this point. 

I want to get back to normal just like everyone else, and I think the vaccine is a big part of the equation to get us there, that's why I advocate for it. 

I think the vaccine is part of the path forward for many, but not a requirement. 

45 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I think the vaccine is part of the path forward for many, but not a requirement. 

I guess at this point, I just don’t understand the resistance. It’s clearly effective at reducing the severity of Covid and keeping people out of the hospital which frees up hospital beds and resources. People get back to work quicker, which helps the economy and productivity. All with very little if any negative consequences. What I’ve seen backs this up. Not a single person I know who’s been backed has had a bad case of Covid. Almost everyone I know who got it and wasn’t vaxxed had a rough time, some of which ended up in the hospital, and few ended up dead.

I’ve pretty much accepted the fact that we will all end up getting this. So why not do everything you can do to lessen the impact Covid can have on you especially when it’s so remarkably simple to do?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

That's how I see it.

Just in my little corner of the world, I personally know 10 people who died from Covid.  Not people that I know of, but people I personally know.  All 10 were unvaccinated.  3 of the 10 died before vaccines became available.  The other 7 had an opportunity but chose not to.

I do believe people should be given a choice, but I have also done some arm twisting with some family members, like bugs said.

• Like 1

Well, I am a first line person.  I have been around long enough to understand why medical people don’t want to take rushed, unapproved or quickly approved FDA medications, including vaccines   Sometimes there are things medical professionals have studied about or seen that other people have no insight to.  I once worked on a research unit, and totally get it.  Those of us who have worked long enough have seen a lot of weird things  Those who haven’t, have been taught enough or heard enough to challenge authority. 

I personally chose to get vaccinated, but completely respect my co workers for choosing not to get vaccinated.  I guarantee you that any unvaccinated health care worker, knows and practices far more protective measures toward his/her patients, than the average every day vaccinated  person (who may also be contagious).

Health care workers are more informed than anyone about Covid.  To demand that he/she get vaccinated when you do not know their professional/ educational/ personal experience is wrong IMO.  Lastly, the chance of finding a health care worker who has not acquired, at least herd immunity, at this point is unlikely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I've seen where some hospital are allowing medical staff who currently have Covid to continue working as long as they are vaccinated.  I can't figure out how that is supposed to be safer than allowing an  unvaccinated person who is not infected with Covid to continue to work, but there have been a whole lot of things during this pandemic that don't make any sense.  

38 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

I've seen where some hospital are allowing medical staff who currently have Covid to continue working as long as they are vaccinated.  I can't figure out how that is supposed to be safer than allowing an  unvaccinated person who is not infected with Covid to continue to work, but there have been a whole lot of things during this pandemic that don't make any sense.  

Supply and demand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...