We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

4 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Agreed. Once everything opened, I think that was the end of lockdowns. People just aren't going to go for it again. 

Plus, hasn't there been a court ruling that's somewhat prohibited that (the implementation of lockdowns)?  I'm thinking the restaurant in Dry Ridge was the driving force behind that particular lawsuit.  I may be mistaken, though.

2 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Plus, hasn't there been a court ruling that's somewhat prohibited that (the implementation of lockdowns)?  I'm thinking the restaurant in Dry Ridge was the driving force behind that particular lawsuit.  I may be mistaken, though.

I think mandates and lockdowns will be few and far between, but I can imagine scenarios where private businesses go back to them. 

I already know of at least a few businesses (chain establishments) that have gone back to masks. 

7 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think mandates and lockdowns will be few and far between, but I can imagine scenarios where private businesses go back to them. 

I already know of at least a few businesses (chain establishments) that have gone back to masks. 

Yeah, I think a lot of what we saw/experienced last year was mandated...anything this time around, will likely be voluntary.  And yes, the businesses that do implement masks will likely do it more out of a fear of bad publicity, which could translate into a drop in their stocks.  The small, mom and pop-type of stores that have survived last year are going to be more worried about being able to keep their doors open.  Having enough to scrape by for one year is one thing.  Having to do it in back-to-back years...totally different.

57 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Moonbird!  I love that place.

21 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Well they aren't draconian measures, for one. But it's the same people that suggest children get all vaccinations, not just this one. 

As a parent it way pretty easy to decide to get my kids vaccinated for polio and measles as both of these vaccines have been in use for 50+ years.  There are still a lot of unknows about these new vaccines, including the fact that they are not yet FDA approved.  I'm in no rush to make my daughters take these.  

1 minute ago, Irish Cat said:

As a parent it way pretty easy to decide to get my kids vaccinated for polio and measles as both of these vaccines have been in use for 50+ years.  There are still a lot of unknows about these new vaccines, including the fact that they are not yet FDA approved.  I'm in no rush to make my daughters take these.  

So when they are FDA approved, you'll get them vaccinated?

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

So when they are FDA approved, you'll get them vaccinated?

It would give me more confidence, but I'll admit I'm still skeptical as to the speed in which these were produced.  Any other vaccines have taken way more time to develope, test, etc.  If rumors of FDA approval this fall come true, than it will be based upon pressure but on the agency and not due to any rigorous testing, etc.  When these vaccines were announced the manufacturers promised that they were about 95% effective or so,  this doesn't seem to be  the case.  Look at Israel for example.  They are supposed to be one of the most highly % vaccinated countires in the world and they are currently experiences a high number of cases.  If I can see  that the vaccine is safe and it works than I would have more faith giving it to my daughters.  

We don't know a lot or anything about any long term effects of these vaccines but we do know that thus far severe infections in children have been very infrequent.  I will not force my childern to get this vaccine until I have certain that it is safe for them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

It would give me more confidence, but I'll admit I'm still skeptical as to the speed in which these were produced.  Any other vaccines have taken way more time to develope, test, etc.  If rumors of FDA approval this fall come true, than it will be based upon pressure but on the agency and not due to any rigorous testing, etc.  When these vaccines were announced the manufacturers promised that they were about 95% effective or so,  this doesn't seem to be  the case.  Look at Israel for example.  They are supposed to be one of the most highly % vaccinated countires in the world and they are currently experiences a high number of cases.  If I can see  that the vaccine is safe and it works than I would have more faith giving it to my daughters.  

We don't know a lot or anything about any long term effects of these vaccines but we do know that thus far severe infections in children have been very infrequent.  I will not force my childern to get this vaccine until I have certain that it is safe for them. 

They absolutely are 95% effective in preventing serious illness, if not higher. That was the promise. People chose to believe the purpose of the vaccine was to keep you from getting it, rather than keeping you from getting seriously ill. 

I just hope you and others who are so conscious about the long term effects of the vaccines are also equally monitoring everything you and your children consume for possible long term effects. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

I think many share your feelings.

The only thing that has never correlated with me is there are millions of people reluctant because of unknown long-term health ailments. I think if you ask most people, "do you think there will be long term health ailments as result of taking the COVID vaccine?", I believe the average person would say, "Slim chance, but I just don't know."  Meanwhile, we pollute our bodies (and our own kids) with harmful processed foods, sugar, alcohol, etc. that we know 100% is linked to long-term detrimental health, yet we have no objections there.

I am not being critical, just stating how that has never computed with me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

I think many share your feelings.

The only thing that has never correlated with me is there are millions of people reluctant because of unknown long-term health ailments. I think if you ask most people, "do you think there will be long term health ailments as result of taking the COVID vaccine?", I believe the average person would say, "Slim chance, but I just don't know."  Meanwhile, we pollute our bodies (and our own kids) with harmful processed foods, sugar, alcohol, etc. that we know 100% is linked to long-term detrimental health, yet we have no objections there.

I am not being critical, just stating how that has never computed with me.

I hear everything you are saying but the difference is anyone can always change their habits and live a healthy lifestyle whereas if you get the COVID booster and there are some long-term detrimental health effects you are stuck with them. 

5 minutes ago, theguru said:

I hear everything you are saying but the difference is anyone can always change their habits and live a healthy lifestyle whereas if you get the COVID booster and there are some long-term detrimental health effects you are stuck with them. 

You’re assuming the vaccine will do some irreparable damage, without also assuming bad habits can do the same.