We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

It looks like the pace of people getting vaccines is slowing down. Are we going to get to even 50% of the population vaccinated?

If we only get to 50% vaccinated, how does that impact opening things up fully?

I'm guessing the blood clot issue that affected a handful of people with the J&J vaccine is causing some of this slowdown.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

I'm guessing the blood clot issue that affected a handful of people with the J&J vaccine is causing some of this slowdown.

I don't think so. We are working our way into the anti-vax crowd... In most places, everyone that wants one is now eligible to get one. The slow down was going to happen when we reached that group regardless of any temporary setbacks with J&J. 

• Like 3

For me, we are getting very close to opening things up completely. Once there has been plenty of time and opportunity for everyone to get the vaccine, I say open everything up. I am good on eliminating mask mandates then as well. 

I have said from very early on that the key to opening things up is minimizing the risk of death. The vaccines are doing that. In about 2 months, perhaps 3,  everyone who wants the vaccine should be vaccinated. At that point, everything should be opened up IMO.  If we are at 50% of the population vaccinated, those other 50% have made their choice. There will be continued deaths. A lot of those dieing people might even utter the last words "I proved my point" if they die from COVID.  Or maybe they will claim they died from something other than COVID. Regardless, it will be no one's fault but their own if they die from it. No one can ever say they weren't warned nor offered the opportunity to protect themselves. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

For me, we are getting very close to opening things up completely. Once there has been plenty of time and opportunity for everyone to get the vaccine, I say open everything up. I am good on eliminating mask mandates then as well. 

I have said from very early on that the key to opening things up is minimizing the risk of death. The vaccines are doing that. In about 2 months, perhaps 3,  everyone who wants the vaccine should be vaccinated. At that point, everything should be opened up IMO.  If we are at 50% of the population vaccinated, those other 50% have made their choice. There will be continued deaths. A lot of those dieing people might even utter the last words "I proved my point" if they die from COVID.  Or maybe they will claim they died from something other than COVID. Regardless, it will be no one's fault but their own if they die from it. No one can ever say they weren't warned nor offered the opportunity to protect themselves. 

I am with you, but I think 2-3 months is too far out there. I think we are much closer to that point.  Some shortages may exist in places, but not many and if people want it, they can get it. 

• Like 1

Just now, bugatti said:

I am with you, but I think 2-3 months is too far out there. I think we are much closer to that point.  Some shortages may exist in places, but not many and if people want it, they can get it. 

It just opened up to everyone over 16 in many places in the last couple of weeks. We probably need 2 months to get all of those people fully vaccinated.

30 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I'm on board with this. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

It just opened up to everyone over 16 in many places in the last couple of weeks. We probably need 2 months to get all of those people fully vaccinated.

Those age thresholds were dropping precipitously the last month. The 65+ crowd felt like it took forever, then seemingly overnight we jumped through those next categories in no time. Again, there are pockets out there that are struggling with access, but many pockets are begging for people to come in and get the shot with supply exceeding demand.

7 minutes ago, theguru said:

According to Forbes.com the Pfizer CEO formally announced that we will likely be needing a third vaccine dose in the next 12 months.

Probably more boosters than that if people don't get vaccinated. COVID will continue to spread and mutate faster in the unvaccinated, which will require boosters for all the vaccinated who want to stay alive and enjoy an open economy.

There is so much irony that the roadblock to us having no restrictions and an open economy are the people who claim that is what they are fighting for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Probably more boosters than that if people don't get vaccinated. COVID will continue to spread and mutate faster in the unvaccinated, which will require boosters for all the vaccinated who want to stay alive and enjoy an open economy.

There is so much irony that the roadblock to us having no restrictions and an open economy are the people who claim that is what they are fighting for.

If you are counting on everyone to "comply" you will be waiting forever. 

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

If you are counting on everyone to "comply" you will be waiting forever. 

Everybody doesn't have to, fortunately. 

But it will be entertaining to see the folks who don't want to comply not be able to do things because they aren't vaccinated. 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

Everybody doesn't have to, fortunately. 

But it will be entertaining to see the folks who don't want to comply not be able to do things because they aren't vaccinated. 

That's not America. 

• Like 2