We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

47 minutes ago, theguru said:

Does anyone know if all teachers will be forced to get the COVID vaccine?  Will they also be forced to get the Flu vaccine each year?  Should they be?  If you refuse should you be fired?

I'm not sure the flu is a good comparison. COVID is so much more contagious that it goes into a category by itself.  Look at how effective wearing masks was the against the flu this year versus how effective they were against COVID.  The flu basically did not exist this past year and we all saw how widespread COVID was even with mask wearing.

• Like 1

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

I'm not sure the flu is a good comparison anymore. COVID is so much more contagious that it goes into a category by itself.  Look at how effective wearing masks was the against the flu this year versus how effective they were against COVID.  The flu basically did not exist this past year and we all saw how widespread COVID was even with mask wearing.

I suppose the ultimate comparison would be child deaths from COVID and Influenza and they are similar so if a COVID vaccine is going to be a requirement I would think an Influenza vaccine would have to be a requirement too. 

Just now, theguru said:

I suppose the ultimate comparison would be child deaths from COVID and Influenza and they are similar so if a COVID vaccine is going to be a requirement I would think an Influenza vaccine would have to be a requirement too. 

I think that is a valid comparison, comparing child deaths of both. Even with that though, the highly contagious nature of COVID increases risk dramatically.

1 hour ago, swamprat said:

Mrs. S has had both of her shots. Until this morning, I did not qualify by age. My primary employer informed me that now that I qualify I have to get one.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Wow, have to get one to work, slippery slope. 

Thursday at 2 PM. Pfizer. Second dose April 8 at 2 PM. About 3 miles from where I work. 

My understanding is that it's an insurance issue for them. If I get it, spend an inordinate amount of time in the hospital, and/or die. Their rates go up. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, swamprat said:

Thursday at 2 PM. Pfizer. Second dose April 8 at 2 PM. About 3 miles from where I work. 

My understanding is that it's an insurance issue for them. If I get it, spend an inordinate amount of time in the hospital, and/or die. Their rates go up. 

Yeah, insurance dictates a lot in life.

5 hours ago, theguru said:

Does anyone know if all teachers will be forced to get the COVID vaccine?  Will they also be forced to get the Flu vaccine each year?  Should they be?  If you refuse should you be fired?

I can see districts not outright requiring it but nudging people to get it via other measures.  Some districts in other states have already told staff if they opt not to be vaccinated (unless it is for a medical reason) that they will have to burn sick time if forced to quarantine.  Since that will take at least one week (if not two) that would use up all of a teacher's yearly allotted sick time.  So its basically an ultimatum:  "Don't get the vaccine if you don't want to but if you have to quarantine then you must bear the consequences of your actions."

• Thanks 1

I work in a hospital and we were told we could refuse the vaccine.  We were also reminded prior to vaccination that the vaccine had an emergency use approval from the FDA meaning that it had not been as fully investigated for use as other medications.  That alone should be a reason that anyone should be allowed to refuse it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

No different than having to pass a drug test. 

It's actually quite different.  Drugs are illegal, choosing not to get a vaccine is not illegal.  But hey, if that company wants to pay out a lawsuit, sounds like a solid policy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

It's actually quite different.  Drugs are illegal, choosing not to get a vaccine is not illegal.  But hey, if that company wants to pay out a lawsuit, sounds like a solid policy. 

Good luck winning that lawsuit. 

18 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

I can see districts not outright requiring it but nudging people to get it via other measures.  Some districts in other states have already told staff if they opt not to be vaccinated (unless it is for a medical reason) that they will have to burn sick time if forced to quarantine.  Since that will take at least one week (if not two) that would use up all of a teacher's yearly allotted sick time.  So its basically an ultimatum:  "Don't get the vaccine if you don't want to but if you have to quarantine then you must bear the consequences of your actions."

I am glad that the teachers (at least in this case) have the choice to do what is best for them.  Too bad we don't all have the same choices teachers have. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I am glad that the teachers (at least in this case) have the choice to do what is best for them.  Too bad we don't all have the same choices teachers have. 

Everyone has a choice whether or not to take the vaccine.