We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

22 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

My 91 year old dad refused the vaccine.  He has been an anti vaxer his whole life.  Still standing by his beliefs.

When I saw this from the NY Post I thought of your dad:

Twenty-three people died in Norway within days of receiving their first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, with 13 of those deaths — all nursing home patients — apparently related to the side effects of the shots, health officials said.

All 13 were nursing home patients and at least 80 years old. While officials aren’t expressing serious concern, they are adjusting their guidance on who should receive the vaccine. 

https://nypost.com/2021/01/15/23-die-in-norway-after-receiving-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine/

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Twenty-three people died in Norway within days of receiving their first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, with 13 of those deaths — all nursing home patients — apparently related to the side effects of the shots, health officials said.

All 13 were nursing home patients and at least 80 years old. While officials aren’t expressing serious concern, they are adjusting their guidance on who should receive the vaccine. 

https://nypost.com/2021/01/15/23-die-in-norway-after-receiving-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine/

Wow!  That’s interesting!  His old stubborn ways have gotten him to 91.  Maybe he know what he is talking about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theguru said:

The Pfizer vaccine requires 2 doses, the second 3 weeks after the first, and it DOES NOT prevent getting the virus, it is supposed to just lessen its severity. I know 2 people have come down with symptoms and tested positive since receiving the 2nd dose. However, their symptoms are not severe. 

13 hours ago, swamprat said:

The Pfizer vaccine requires 2 doses, the second 3 weeks after the first, and it DOES NOT prevent getting the virus, it is supposed to just lessen its severity. I know 2 people have come down with symptoms and tested positive since receiving the 2nd dose. However, their symptoms are not severe. 

And that is the most important thing about any vaccine. If it prevents deaths, we are completely open again. 

I have said it before and will say it again. The most important numbers are the deaths. Yes, cases need to be tracked because they turn into deaths but if the vaccine eliminates deaths, cases aren't nearly as big a concern anymore. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Looks like they are setting up a mass vaccination site in Covington in the parking lot of the closed IRS location. Multiple tents and cones for traffic in the parking lot.

I noticed that last week, buddy and I assumed that's what it was for.  

A few thousand first responders and Healthcare workers have been going to Lakeside Christian Church to receive the vaccine as well. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 8:54 AM, Voice of Reason said:

And that is the most important thing about any vaccine. If it prevents deaths, we are completely open again. 

I have said it before and will say it again. The most important numbers are the deaths. Yes, cases need to be tracked because they turn into deaths but if the vaccine eliminates deaths, cases aren't nearly as big a concern anymore. 

Yes, as one person put it, we're going to have to find the number of deaths we're willing to live with (pardon the pun).  He said the "if it can save one life" mantra is just not feasible.  Because if you were truly willing to do whatever it took just to save one life, then alcohol and tobacco would be illegal, there'd be no fast food restaurants, and the speed limit would be something like 10 mph.   All of these things would more than save at least one life.  But, none are implemented because we value something else just a little more (whether it be convenience, pleasure, etc.) and are willing to trade that for a few more deaths.

Tobacco kills about 480,000 per year.  (Obesity around 300,000...alcohol 95,000)  Which works out to a little over 9,000 per week.  Last week the covid deaths were 22,000.  The question is...will the numbers have to get below tobacco to be considered acceptable?  Or will we set a new bar that's suddenly okay, as long as we can return to "normal"?  Honestly, to me, if they get it down to 10,000 or so (with the vaccine), there'll be a huge push to open everything back up.  If it gets under 9,000...you won't see a mask in sight.

Got my second vaccine today.  Only difference so far is that my arm is much more sore and hard.   Some of the nurses who had no reaction to the first vaccine got sick.with the second.  So far so good for me. Will see what morning brings.

OH my, what a night!  Fever 101.6 chills body aches, nausea and headaches.  My arm feels like someone beat it with a baseball bat.  Other nurses had the same reaction as I did.  Supposed to last 24 hours.   Still worth it in the long run.  No pain no gain.

• Thanks 2

If I could give any advice about getting the vaccine, it would be this...whichever vaccine you take, if you can do so safely, take Ibuprofen regularly for 24 hrs following each injection.  I was stupid.  I assumed since I had never had a problem with vaccines, this would be no different.

• Like 1

I received the 1st dose of the Moderna Vaccine on Jan 10th. I was fine until the next morning. I was miserable with No Energy for exactly 24hrs. Come Tuesday morning everything was back to normal. My arm was hurting for about 3 days.

I had Covid-19 back in early Nov. The only symptom I didn't get was "shortness of breath" Had everything else. Loss of taste and smell lasted almost an entire month. That was the most Bizarre part of it. I would put a Halls Cough Drop in my mouth and nothing. Couldn't taste or smell it. Just helped control the miserable Cough I had. The cold sweats I had while I would sleep was also not fun. I went through 2 pair of Underwear each Night.

I tested for the Anti-bodies about 3 weeks ago since I didn't test for the Rona when I was sick. Don't judge me.... I just stayed away and limited my Contact from everyone! It came back positive. They were actually able to tell me just about the day/week when I was sick. Unfortunately I think my entire Family got it, but I was the only one that got sick. Everyone tested positive for Anti-bodies except my Wife. Hers cam back inconclusive. What? Not possible....Oh well!

Not looking forward to my 2nd dose. I'm hearing people really struggle with the 2nd round. But if it means that this is a step in the direction of some normalcy then I'm all about it.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beechwoodfan said:

If I could give any advice about getting the vaccine, it would be this...whichever vaccine you take, if you can do so safely, take Ibuprofen regularly for 24 hrs following each injection.  I was stupid.  I assumed since I had never had a problem with vaccines, this would be no different.

I've heard of others doing this as well. 

4 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I've heard of others doing this as well. 

Yes, but do NOT take ibuprofen BEFORE the vaccine.  It may reduce its ability to work and blunt your immune response to the vaccine.

• Like 1