We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

Interesting take on Pfizer vaccine. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4347/rr-4

This sounds impressive, but the absolute risk reduction for an individual is only about 0.4% (0.0043-0.0004=0.0039). The Number Needed To Vaccinate (NNTV) = 256 (1/0.0039), which means that to prevent just 1 Covid-19 case 256 individuals must get the vaccine; the other 255 individuals derive no benefit, but are subject to vaccine adverse effects, whatever they may be and whenever we learn about them……We’ve already heard that an early effect of the vaccine is “like a hangover or the flu.

Had not seen this NNTV number before. 

1 hour ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Interesting take on Pfizer vaccine. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4347/rr-4

This sounds impressive, but the absolute risk reduction for an individual is only about 0.4% (0.0043-0.0004=0.0039). The Number Needed To Vaccinate (NNTV) = 256 (1/0.0039), which means that to prevent just 1 Covid-19 case 256 individuals must get the vaccine; the other 255 individuals derive no benefit, but are subject to vaccine adverse effects, whatever they may be and whenever we learn about them……We’ve already heard that an early effect of the vaccine is “like a hangover or the flu.

Had not seen this NNTV number before. 

Isn't that how every vaccine works? Saying the other 255 people receive no benefit is false. Those other 255 people did not get coronavirus. I consider that one heck of a benefit. Am I missing something?

• Like 2

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

Isn't that how every vaccine works? Saying the other 255 people receive no benefit is false. Those other 255 people did not get coronavirus. I consider that one heck of a benefit. Am I missing something?

No matter how we figure it the preliminary information we are hearing about vaccine efficacy is amazing!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

It is a "take" and a lot of hypotheticals is all I took from the submitted letter to the editor. Unless I am missing something? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is the only other article on the definition that jumped up. 

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/59/3/406/2895624

It would seem that the 255 number is actually good compared to the flu vaccine. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Getting my vaccine tomorrow.  A little nervous, but mostly relieved.

Would you be willing to share your experience, especially afterwards?  The name of that particular vaccine and if you have any unusual reaction either immediately or in the 2 or 3 days after?  If you don't want to do that, I understand.

My wife, as a substitute teacher for the Kenton County school district has been deemed essential and is scheduled for a vaccine in February.  I guess I am not so essential.

17 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Would you be willing to share your experience, especially afterwards?  The name of that particular vaccine and if you have any unusual reaction either immediately or in the 2 or 3 days after?  If you don't want to do that, I understand.

My wife, as a substitute teacher for the Kenton County school district has been deemed essential and is scheduled for a vaccine in February.  I guess I am not so essential.

I sure will! I am a part time nurse.  Full time nurses got the first line of appointments.  I was on the second list.  Will be happy to share.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Close relative got the Pfizer last week......only reaction was a a little soreness at the injection site...I don't think it lasted too long.

• Thanks 2

Got the Moderna vaccine..i fink i am otay.  Having no twoubly whatsoever

JK. We get vaccines at work all the time.  This had quite a bit of fanfare.  Had to sign permission slips and repeatedly been told that it was approved for emergency use only.  Plus there was a crash cart on site.  Also the first time I got  a work related vaccine that I had to provide  my personal insurance card  Apparently, since it is not yet required, they are trying to offset expenses.

Overall, it was a well run clinic.  Day one, and I barely  felt the shot and zero pain. Might never play the piano.  Always wanted to.

Spoke  directly to the pharmacist.  Within 4 weeks i should have 50%  immunity.  I then take my second one which should give me 98% immunity after 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1