KHSAA shuts down KY High School Football Playoffs until Further Notice - Playoff Brackets Posted 11-13-20

9 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

In my opinion (it and $5 will get a Starbucks coffee) they should just go on from here this year with just the top 2 teams from each district play. In other words just begin the playoffs with district championship.

I agree, should have started this week as there was a lot of mean less games. If things stay this red, it could be over, what shame.

• Like 2

Isn't Trinity one of the teams who would have to forfeit if the playoffs started on time? And there may have been multiple #1 seeds who would have to forfeit if the playoffs started on time. If that's correct, then that carries some heavy weight.

If the concern is "red counties" well nothing is going to improve in a week. And school districts have done a great job handling the season. There are probably going to be teams that have to forfeit a playoff game, but no way to guarantee to avoid that. Just have to love with it.

IMO the best option is the give #1 byes and let the lower seeds play first.  Lowers the risk to the top teams who can actually win a title.

But anyway it's time to roll and get the playoffs going. Waiting is just making things worse. Should have started the season much earlier than they did.

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I think that's why they are delaying bracket release. The statement from KHSAA this morning included a form to withdraw from the playoffs. With many schools likely to be prohibitive underdogs in the first round, you'll probably see several throw in the towel. I don't think the KHSAA stops football, but you might see a modified playoff bracket once all the participants are known.

37 minutes ago, DearToday said:

I look at it the other way. They’re giving teams who had to quarantine time to be able to come back. Calloway already released a statement saying they’d be back in it now. 

These two posts sum it up. I see this as a good move by the KHSAA. Everyone gets a week to plan and decide if they are in. As long as the large majority of schools are good moving ahead, the playoffs will move forward.

On that issue, I see no reason to shut down football. Football has proven it does not spread COVID.

Also, with teams eliminated with each round, risk of shut down of playoffs decreases. When we get to the final 8, none of those schools are going to opt out. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

The season is over in my opinion.  Basketball seasons will be very abbreviated if played at all.  Spring outdoor sports should be good to go.

Guys this ain’t going to change if you shut down the football playoffs there’s no point in even trying to play any other sports this season it’s not going to improve any time soon.

Hindsight being 20/20, we would have been better off staying with the traditional mid-August start, with perhaps a modified playoff scheme that would have football finishing up, rather than just starting about now.

Of course, back then it was hoped that the situation would have eased by now.  Such, obviously isn't the case as things appear to be spiraling out of control, leaving a very uncertain future for both football and basketball.

I'm thankful that our team got to play eight games this season, and had some success in doing so, and feel for those teams plagued with postponements and cancellations.  As someone stated at one of the early Board of Control meetings "We can't shut it down unless we start."  Hats off to those who allowed us to experience some football this year, and should we actually resume the playing of the games, so much the better.     

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Ohio did it it right. Started earlier and now at end of playoffs.

I agree.  The decision to start on time and end early was absolutely the right call.  The big school division in Ohio only had 4 teams playing yesterday and will only have 2 playing next week.  Now, the smaller divisions will play one extra week because of how many they had in the playoffs (all teams qualified) but all football will be completely finished with every team getting an opportunity to play at least 10 games before the week of Thanksgiving.

I am sad to hear this is happening in the Bluegrass.  These kids have worked through so much to get to the this point in the season.  What an absolute shame.  Hopefully they can find a way to finish it out.

-CardinalsFan

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

I'll need to work a 3rd job to pay for the meds and counselling my son and I will need. I really hope this doesn't happen. Do alot of you believe it's possible?

I for one don't think anything will be played going forward. If we don't change the mindset that covid goes away by shutting things down then I doubt the kids will finish this school year in person either. Its not gonna just decide to go away one day, it'll be around for the rest of our lives. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, UK Fanatic said:

KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett:  “This decision isn’t just about the few ongoing quarantines, it’s about 82 counties Friday being defined as “red” including the vast majority of the east. It’s about giving our schools time to deal with the issues around athletics which are not identical to the issues around the school day and as such, may need separate local discussions."

Map.png

Maybe Owen County and Russell County can play for the state championship. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• theguru changed the title to KHSAA shuts down KY High School Football Playoffs until Further Notice - Playoff Brackets Posted 11-13-20
  • theguru locked this topic