COVID-19 Progress Report

Mustang

@Mustang

How many people will have to die for you to walk back this post? I’m curious to know what your number is.

Will it only be deaths in KY that affect your opinion? Will nationwide deaths affect your opinion?

If KY has 100K confirmed cases by the end of 2020 will that have changed your mind or will you still say it was for nothing?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think this is what western Kentucky had from Thanksgiving to Christmas. People flooded the doctor's office and took flu tests only for them to come back negative. People hacked and coughed a felt bad for a month and a little into January when some schools closed due to low attendance. Maybe that's why there are fewer cases in WKY than the rest of the state. It's run its course through the house and left. From what I've read, most of the cases in WKY involve people who traveled and returned or older people with underlying conditions.

Cases are up because testing has increased and people now know what the fever and cough are. They didn't know in December because there was no testing.

I'm just shocked that we didn't have a vaccine for this. It makes me question the millions of dollars used on studies to measure the amount of methane gas produced with farts or whether you can catch the flu by licking doorknobs.

This whole pandemic proves we as Americans aren't remotely close to being prepared for the insurgence of a contagious virus.

Hmm. That is an interesting theory. My mom (far West Kentucky) is 74 and has bad asthma. Just after Christmas she came down with what she thought was a cold and could never break it. It got worse and worse where she was having difficulty breathing, coughing all the time, blood pressure would spike and then drop. Energy level was next-to-none and would nearly pass out a few times a day. By early-to-mid February the doctor's said she had bacterial pneumonia and gave her some kind of drug. Said it would take her about a month to feel better, which she is now.

Hmm. That is an interesting theory. My mom (far West Kentucky) is 74 and has bad asthma. Just after Christmas she came down with what she thought was a cold and could never break it. It got worse and worse where she was having difficulty breathing, coughing all the time, blood pressure would spike and then drop. Energy level was next-to-none and would nearly pass out a few times a day. By early-to-mid February the doctor's said she had bacterial pneumonia and gave her some kind of drug. Said it would take her about a month to feel better, which she is now.

That's The Rona, has to be.

@Mustang

How many people will have to die for you to walk back this post? I’m curious to know what your number is.

Will it only be deaths in KY that affect your opinion? Will nationwide deaths affect your opinion?

If KY has 100K confirmed cases by the end of 2020 will that have changed your mind or will you still say it was for nothing?

All you have to do is look at Italy. Or if you’d like to stay closer to home, New York. Even if it’s not killing at a high rate, it’s clear this is a huge strain on resources. It’s Spreading even with the measures we’ve taken. Just imagine what things would have been like had we not shut things down. There’s no question lives were saved and the willingness to trade those lives and resources for “two weeks we will never get back” is selfish and crass.

All you have to do is look at Italy. Or if you’d like to stay closer to home, New York. Even if it’s not killing at a high rate, it’s clear this is a huge strain on resources. It’s Spreading even with the measures we’ve taken. Just imagine what things would have been like had we not shut things down. There’s no question lives were saved and the willingness to trade those lives and resources for “two weeks we will never get back” is selfish and crass.

Agree 100%.

And forget those two weeks lost. If sports don’t come back until August I honestly don’t care where I am social distancing and self isolating at. And I say this being perfectly okay with no sports until further notice if it means less infected people and less deaths.

There are some that say this thing has been around since November when looking back and knowing people who were sick for 2 or 3 weeks straight.

BTW, The World Military Games were held in Wuhan - in October 2019. These games seem to be like the Olympics for the military s from around the world.

From wikipedia on the games:

The 2019 Military World Games, officially known as the 7th CISM Military World Games and commonly known as Wuhan 2019, was held from October 18–27, 2019 in Wuhan, Hubei, China.

The 7th Military World Games was the first international military multi-sport event to be held in China and also it was the largest military sports event ever to be held in China, with nearly 10,000 athletes from over 100 countries competing in 27 sports.

Testing can tell if you have it but it can also tell if you have had it---by the existence of antibodies in your body. If you had it once but don't have it now, you can neither contract nor spread it. Once (if?) testing becomes readily available to all, many people should be able to go back to work or otherwise lead normal lives. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Also about testing: Say a person gets tested Monday morning and the immediate result is that they don't have it. What is to keep them from contracting it Monday night? My question then is, What is the Monday morning testing good for?

Honestly, I think this is what western Kentucky had from Thanksgiving to Christmas. People flooded the doctor's office and took flu tests only for them to come back negative. People hacked and coughed a felt bad for a month and a little into January when some schools closed due to low attendance. Maybe that's why there are fewer cases in WKY than the rest of the state. It's run its course through the house and left. From what I've read, most of the cases in WKY involve people who traveled and returned or older people with underlying conditions.

Cases are up because testing has increased and people now know what the fever and cough are. They didn't know in December because there was no testing.

I'm just shocked that we didn't have a vaccine for this. It makes me question the millions of dollars used on studies to measure the amount of methane gas produced with farts or whether you can catch the flu by licking doorknobs.

This whole pandemic proves we as Americans aren't remotely close to being prepared for the insurgence of a contagious virus.

There are some that say this thing has been around since November when looking back and knowing people who were sick for 2 or 3 weeks straight.

BTW, The World Military Games were held in Wuhan - in October 2019. These games seem to be like the Olympics for the military s from around the world.

From wikipedia on the games:

The 2019 Military World Games, officially known as the 7th CISM Military World Games and commonly known as Wuhan 2019, was held from October 18–27, 2019 in Wuhan, Hubei, China.

The 7th Military World Games was the first international military multi-sport event to be held in China and also it was the largest military sports event ever to be held in China, with nearly 10,000 athletes from over 100 countries competing in 27 sports.

I am glad you shared all that @The Scribe

Right before Christmas and into January I got knocked on my behind by something (a kind of illness) I had never had before. None of us are special but I want to add I almost never get sick and whatever I had humbled me in a manner of speaking. Also, I have talked to several younger people around NKY that all say pretty much the same thing as you said about WKY Scribe.

Additionally, I was having this discussion with a good friend last night and it sure would be nice to know if I (everyone) that got sick at the end of 2019 could be tested for Rona antibodies. If so, I think it would give us a much better handle on what we are and have been dealing with.

I self quarantined myself for about 17 days when this happened, I didn't need anyone to tell me it was the right thing to do.

Finally, I thought to myself, whatever I have is going to kill a bunch of older and sicker people if they get it.

My wife works with a couple of women who were both sick for around two to three weeks. I mean they were really sick. One of them tested negative for flue three times. I'm not sure about the other one.

I have seen several accounts online from people in the medical profession who are convinced that this has been around in the US way earlier than we were led to believe.

I think what we have here are the mentalities of two opposite generations and extremes.

We, the older generation who are at a higher risk, still stick to our - "The world has gone mad" and "the show must go on" mentality, and sadly shake our collective heads, while the younger bubble wrap generation, fueled by their Facebook pages and a rabid media, clinging to their every word, believes that through extremes, we can all be saved, despite the costs while guarding against every eventuality.

Perhaps somewhere in the middle there is a happy median.

By the end of the year there will be @31,200 highway fatalities in the US. We put ourselves at risk every time we get into a car, yet, there is no outcry to ban motor vehicles or close our highways.

The title of this thread is "Progress Report". Today I feel that over the past two weeks we have spun our wheels and created a hysteria about what might or could happen to us. Next week I might feel differently about it.

I think what we have here are the mentalities of two opposite generations and extremes.

We, the older generation who are at a higher risk, still stick to our - "The world has gone mad" and "the show must go on" mentality, and sadly shake our collective heads, while the younger bubble wrap generation, fueled by their Facebook pages and a rabid media, clinging to their every word, believes that through extremes, we can all be saved, despite the costs while guarding against every eventuality.

First, it's not a generational thing. There are plenty of people your age who think we should be doing what we are and more. Don't try to pawn your selfish ideology onto an entire generation.

Based on the bold, it's clear you have no intention of having a real discussion.

Maybe those of us in bubble wrap should just let you all do what you want and kill each other off. Your ignorance doesn't get to dictate the health of others.

Agree 100%.

And forget those two weeks lost. If sports don’t come back until August I honestly don’t care where I am social distancing and self isolating at. And I say this being perfectly okay with no sports until further notice if it means less infected people and less deaths.

Same here. And like many, I’m sports CRAZY. I watched people gobbling hamburgers in 2006 on TV the other day, for crying out loud.

I love to go out and eat. LOVE TO. Anything from surf and turf to a greasy fat burger. At about one o’clock this morning I was laughing my rear end off to Eddie Murphy going on about his mamma’s meatball ghetto burger with the nasty chunks of green peppers on Wonder Bread. And thinking that I’d love to give that a shot at some drive-in, diner or dive.

But you know what? I’m doing just fine here at Chez Papa. And I intend to keep it that way. For me, for my family and friends, and for anybody else in my six degrees (or more) of separation orbit.

The title of this thread is "Progress Report". Today I feel that over the past two weeks we have spun our wheels and created a hysteria about what might or could happen to us. Next week I might feel differently about it.

In addition, it's not what "might or could happen." It IS happening, you just choose to ignore it.