Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

COVID-19 Progress Report

Featured Replies

I agree.

 

If America was even the least bit serious about stopping the spread the Airlines should have been grounded immediately.

Remember that scenario I proposed to you via PM a few years back?

  • Replies 116
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember that scenario I proposed to you via PM a few years back?

 

I'm really foggy Pops?

Been a long time since I’ve liked so many posts and wanted an extreme dislike button.

Over reaction=lives saved

 

Under reaction=people die

 

How many people are you cool with dying? @Mustang

 

Or is what happened in Italy, and what’s currently happening in places like NYC a hoax?

Okay no, no.

 

Everyone listen to @Mustang.

 

I’m sure his wisdom far surpasses the EXPERTS who are IN AGREEMENT about the course of action needed.

 

Everyone, do your patriotic duty and start listening to Mustang.

The scariest part of that post above for me - 17 people in ICU on ventilators. I wonder what that would look like with no social distancing or shutdowns.

The fact that so many COVID-19 patients need ventilators to recover is a statement in and of itself. Most people on a vent require sedation, the life saving machine is invasive, and patients can acquire pneumonia just from a vent. Cognitive activity may never be the same. The list goes on. So, no thank you. Even if we do have enough ventilators to save me and my loved ones, I don’t want us to ever need one. So we are hunkered down for the long haul.

As of yesterday UK hospital had treated three (3) COVID patients. One has been released.

 

As for Baptist someone said they had treated one (1) COVID-specific patient.

My brother is a respiratory therapist on the "pandemic response team" at Good Samaritan in Cincinnati. (Good Sam was identified by the state of Ohio as southwest Ohio's "regional pandemic center" in recent years.)

 

I just sent him a text to make sure my information is correct. At Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati, they currently have 17 COVID-19 patients in the ICU on ventilators. Hamilton County has seen 52 total cases of COVID-19. He saw his first COVID-19 case about two weeks ago.

 

He said his most primary tasks right now as a respiratory therapist are:

1) To monitor oxygen levels (he said all of the ventilators are running on their highest oxygen saturation levels and on their highest forced air pressure levels to try to jam any possible oxygen into the patients because COVID-19 causes a horrifying lack of O2 exchange).

2) Monitoring operation of the ventilators.

3) Monitoring/maintaining patient airways and helping nursing staff clean sputum (mucus, phlegm and spit expelled from the lungs and mouth).

 

My brother lives in Fort Wright, KY. Goes home to his house every night after work because there's nowhere else to stay unless he starts paying out of pocket to live in a hotel. His wife works at St. Elizabeth hospital in Edgewood. Pharmacist. Goes home to the same house every night after work because there's nowhere else to stay unless she starts paying out of pocket to live in a hotel.

 

I asked my brother what percentage of the Good Samaritan hospital employees he would guess live in Kentucky. He said "at least a quarter of them, maybe as much as a third". I asked how many folks are on the pandemic team, and he said "about 250." I asked if he knew of any of them who lived in Campbell County, and he said "at least 6 that I know of."

 

So.......there's your threat.

 

I just checked in. Two fewer COVID patients on vents, currently. Both died.

The hospital in Hopkinsville began an express lab last week and had over 130 people test. They were told turnaround would be 48-72 hours. Six days later, no returned test results from Lab Corp in North Carolina.

 

Hospitals are not allowed to conduct COVID tests in their own labs unless they are federally approved. They have partnered with two other places and are obviously not happy with Lab Corp.

I completely agree with a few post earlier that stated that they believe this has been here for awhile. I know where I teach at we had students and teachers dropping like flies in December for long periods of time. With what was thought to be the flu, strep, etc. Yet usually all came back negative, but yet was so bad off they were still usually out a week. Then some ended up with pneumonia. Which I know more people who got pneumonia at that time, than anytime I have seen before. So maybe it was just coincidence. However, in my ten years of teaching. Our district never got hit so hard before with an illness like that hitting both teachers and students. It was for all of December and still the first two weeks after Christmas break before it started to go away.

 

Which as I stated before, for the ones who keep looking at numbers. It is still a waste though to look at numbers right now. It has been here for awhile, we just didn’t know. It obviously was going to go up, once more test started to become available. It most likely will keep going up still for awhile, because while more test are becoming available. It is still not at the amount it should be. So it will be awhile still before we get true baseline data for our country on this thing. Until then, just keep doing what our state is asking us to do.

Northern Kentucky now has 19 confirmed cases of the virus. 19

 

Five days later, give or take, and that number has more than doubled to 40 as of the NKY Health Department's report from 9am this morning, summarizing things up to that point. There is also 1 death now.

 

Boone County - 9 confirmed, 0 deaths

Campbell County - 9 confirmed, 0 deaths

Grant County - 1 confirmed, 0 deaths

Kenton County - 21 confirmed, 1 death

 

The Kenton County numbers reflect the number of people who had tests taken and confirmed in Kenton County, and it is not the number Kenton County residents. My understanding is that there are at least 3 cases each of Campbell County and Boone County residents whose tests were taken in Kenton County. Also, this does not include the number of patients presenting a full array of COVID-19 symptoms with a test kit still waiting to be confirmed.

Boyd County had their first confirmed case on Monday, today they are sitting at 12. Numbers are rising quickly as is the mortality rate across the state.

Someone I know indirectly has now died in Boyd County. He would have turned 50 this year, had no known underlying conditions. Everyone needs to take this virus seriously.

My brother is a respiratory therapist on the "pandemic response team" at Good Samaritan in Cincinnati. (Good Sam was identified by the state of Ohio as southwest Ohio's "regional pandemic center" in recent years.)

 

I just sent him a text to make sure my information is correct. At Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati, they currently have 17 COVID-19 patients in the ICU on ventilators. Hamilton County has seen 52 total cases of COVID-19. He saw his first COVID-19 case about two weeks ago.

 

He said his most primary tasks right now as a respiratory therapist are:

1) To monitor oxygen levels (he said all of the ventilators are running on their highest oxygen saturation levels and on their highest forced air pressure levels to try to jam any possible oxygen into the patients because COVID-19 causes a horrifying lack of O2 exchange).

2) Monitoring operation of the ventilators.

3) Monitoring/maintaining patient airways and helping nursing staff clean sputum (mucus, phlegm and spit expelled from the lungs and mouth).

 

My brother lives in Fort Wright, KY. Goes home to his house every night after work because there's nowhere else to stay unless he starts paying out of pocket to live in a hotel. His wife works at St. Elizabeth hospital in Edgewood. Pharmacist. Goes home to the same house every night after work because there's nowhere else to stay unless she starts paying out of pocket to live in a hotel.

 

I asked my brother what percentage of the Good Samaritan hospital employees he would guess live in Kentucky. He said "at least a quarter of them, maybe as much as a third". I asked how many folks are on the pandemic team, and he said "about 250." I asked if he knew of any of them who lived in Campbell County, and he said "at least 6 that I know of."

 

So.......there's your threat.

 

My significant other works at St. Elizabeth Edgewood and she's shared the same concerns. She actually thought about getting a hotel room but that just seems over the top to me. If it's going to happen it's going to happen, might be a different story if we had kids to consider.

I wish people would stop thinking we had our first COVID-19 wave back in November and December. That is just ridicules, knowing what we know now. Hospitals would have been packed and people would have been dying in large numbers, unless people think that we in Kentucky have some type of immunity that prevents us from dying!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.