March 27, 20206 yr Is this the result of our diligent measures to prevent the disease? No, there were no or few cases of the virus in the area when this prevention decree went into effect. Where is the information backing up your answer? Where is the data?
March 27, 20206 yr I am glad you shared all that @The Scribe Right before Christmas and into January I got knocked on my behind by something (a kind of illness) I had never had before. None of us are special but I want to add I almost never get sick and whatever I had humbled me in a manner of speaking. Also, I have talked to several younger people around NKY that all say pretty much the same thing as you said about WKY Scribe. Additionally, I was having this discussion with a good friend last night and it sure would be nice to know if I (everyone) that got sick at the end of 2019 could be tested for Rona antibodies. If so, I think it would give us a much better handle on what we are and have been dealing with. I self quarantined myself for about 17 days when this happened, I didn't need anyone to tell me it was the right thing to do. Finally, I thought to myself, whatever I have is going to kill a bunch of older and sicker people if they get it. I had something similar at around the same time and went to the doctor to see if it was strep or the flu. Tested negative for both and was told I had something viral and that my sinuses were really swollen. But I had a wet cough instead of a dry one, so I don't think I had The Rona. My wife had something awful between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think she probably did have it. Several other friends had something similar, got tested for flu & strep, but were told it was viral. In short, I think a lot of people have had this.
March 27, 20206 yr For the past two weeks there has been NO THREAT in our area. My brother is a respiratory therapist on the "pandemic response team" at Good Samaritan in Cincinnati. (Good Sam was identified by the state of Ohio as southwest Ohio's "regional pandemic center" in recent years.) I just sent him a text to make sure my information is correct. At Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati, they currently have 17 COVID-19 patients in the ICU on ventilators. Hamilton County has seen 52 total cases of COVID-19. He saw his first COVID-19 case about two weeks ago. He said his most primary tasks right now as a respiratory therapist are: 1) To monitor oxygen levels (he said all of the ventilators are running on their highest oxygen saturation levels and on their highest forced air pressure levels to try to jam any possible oxygen into the patients because COVID-19 causes a horrifying lack of O2 exchange). 2) Monitoring operation of the ventilators. 3) Monitoring/maintaining patient airways and helping nursing staff clean sputum (mucus, phlegm and spit expelled from the lungs and mouth). My brother lives in Fort Wright, KY. Goes home to his house every night after work because there's nowhere else to stay unless he starts paying out of pocket to live in a hotel. His wife works at St. Elizabeth hospital in Edgewood. Pharmacist. Goes home to the same house every night after work because there's nowhere else to stay unless she starts paying out of pocket to live in a hotel. I asked my brother what percentage of the Good Samaritan hospital employees he would guess live in Kentucky. He said "at least a quarter of them, maybe as much as a third". I asked how many folks are on the pandemic team, and he said "about 250." I asked if he knew of any of them who lived in Campbell County, and he said "at least 6 that I know of." So.......there's your threat.
March 27, 20206 yr The scariest part of that post above for me - 17 people in ICU on ventilators. I wonder what that would look like with no social distancing or shutdowns.
March 27, 20206 yr I'm just shocked that we didn't have a vaccine for this. This was a disease that was completely unknown of until after the first patient got sick in Wuhan, China back on December 10th. She didn't even go to the hospital until 6 days later, and they didn't identify it as a coronavirus variant until around December 12th. How do you have a vaccine for a virus that only even became a thing 108 days ago?
March 27, 20206 yr Is there a vaccine for SARS? That was a related coronavirus that occurred 16 years ago.
March 27, 20206 yr Is there a vaccine for SARS? That was a related coronavirus that occurred 16 years ago. They were getting close, but the money dried up because the SARS scare ended, and by the time it was ready for human trials in 2016, people had long-forgotten the SARS epidemic in 2003. No money to fund human vaccine trials = no vaccine.
March 27, 20206 yr Isolation? Flightaware a few minutes ago.... [ATTACH]70070[/ATTACH] I agree. If America was even the least bit serious about stopping the spread the Airlines should have been grounded immediately.
March 27, 20206 yr Progress Report: I received my paper at work today that says I am working for a life sustaining business and I am allowed to travel to and from work. If I get pulled over for being out on the roads I am to show it to the police.
March 27, 20206 yr Progress Report: I received my paper at work today that says I am working for a life sustaining business and I am allowed to travel to and from work. If I get pulled over for being out on the roads I am to show it to the police. Same with my husband. That’s a good thing. I’m teaching from home, so it’s “Off you go, Honey.” :lol2:
March 27, 20206 yr I had something similar at around the same time and went to the doctor to see if it was strep or the flu. Tested negative for both and was told I had something viral and that my sinuses were really swollen. But I had a wet cough instead of a dry one, so I don't think I had The Rona. My wife had something awful between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think she probably did have it. Several other friends had something similar, got tested for flu & strep, but were told it was viral. In short, I think a lot of people have had this. Around that time, I had several students who were out sick for long stretches. Also makes me think we already had our first wave.
March 27, 20206 yr I feel like this tweet is pertinent to this thread. Twitter I saw that yesterday and found it fascinating.
March 27, 20206 yr I feel like this tweet is pertinent to this thread. Twitter That is scary. That is also why I started this thread: https://bluegrasspreps.com/controversial-issues/faraday-cages-388543.html
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.