Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

The CDC is updating their info on the number of COVID cases and deaths every day M-F at noon. As of yesterday the 54 reporting US territories (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands) had 33,404 cases and 400 total deaths. That number is expected to climb significantly as the availability of test results increases. There's a proportional jump in those numbers expected as soon as today, potentially.

Currently we have a 1.19% rate of mortality for patients testing COVID positive.

March 23 - 33,404 cases; 400 deaths; 1.19% mortality rate

March 24 - 44,183 cases; 544 deaths; 1.23% mortality rate

March 25 - 54,453 cases; 737 deaths; 1.35% mortality rate

March 26 - 68,440 cases; 994 deaths; 1.45% mortality rate

The CDC is updating their info on the number of COVID cases and deaths every day M-F at noon. As of yesterday the 54 reporting US territories (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands) had 33,404 cases and 400 total deaths. That number is expected to climb significantly as the availability of test results increases. There's a proportional jump in those numbers expected as soon as today, potentially.

Currently we have a 1.19% rate of mortality for patients testing COVID positive.

I’m interested to see what they report today. I have a website I have been using for live updates and I also get the John Hopkins email with global numbers as well. It’s always interesting to compare different sources numbers. They are usually pretty close to one another if not the exact same numbers, save for the live updating website.

TIL: The numbers that the CDC updates at noon are the numbers that were reported in the course of the 24 hours of the prior date.

So they are "verifying yesterday's numbers". That makes it sound like Johns Hopkins' numbers are probably pretty much right, and then the next day, the CDC gives the numbers that were "official" from each state.

TIL: The numbers that the CDC updates at noon are the numbers that were reported in the course of the 24 hours of the prior date.

So they are "verifying yesterday's numbers". That makes it sound like Johns Hopkins' numbers are probably pretty much right, and then the next day, the CDC gives the numbers that were "official" from each state.

I am no longer using the John Hopkins site. Their info is too slowly updated as is the CDC.

March 23 - 33,404 cases; 400 deaths; 1.19% mortality rate

March 24 - 44,183 cases; 544 deaths; 1.23% mortality rate

March 25 - 54,453 cases; 737 deaths; 1.35% mortality rate

March 26 - 68,440 cases; 994 deaths; 1.45% mortality rate

All bad. No light visible at the end of the tunnel yet. But this was expected to be the worst week yet. Will next week be worse, or will we see some leveling off in some places?

I posted this in one of the other threads but I think it is worth mentioning here too:

Since many of us are posting some statistics I thought this was a good one to share, so far the amount of deaths worldwide attributed to COVID-19 is just over 23,000.

According to the the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) they estimate that the amount of deaths worldwide attributed to influenza each year is approximately 389,000.

Too slowly, or more meticulously and accurately? :D

Too slow. The CDC updates everyday at noon and that’s it. You can follow real time reports on different websites. The website that I use is easy to navigate and has all the bells and whistles with charts, graphs and interactive links providing more detail. Once you get familiar with the site it is easy to tell if the numbers are accurate or not because not all countries report in real time and those slowly reported numbers always match WHO’s numbers.

Way too much technology in this world for us to have to wait until noon everyday for “accurate” numbers.

Do you really believe China's numbers? Remember, this is the country where Google searching "Tiananmen Square" will literally give you Google's 0 results page.

They're not too big on sharing bad news about the homeland in China.

Not at all. But much like Russia it doesn’t matter if their numbers are legit or not. The numbers they give are what will be looked at as factual. Every country on this planet is doing everything they can to present the lowest numbers possible. IMO every country is under reporting their numbers as well as dragging out their “official” daily numbers as long as possible.

France didn’t report any change in numbers for 3 days. Spain didn’t report any change in their numbers for a good 2-3 days. At the end of the day folks are going to believe what they want to believe.

I posted this in one of the other threads but I think it is worth mentioning here too:

Since many of us are posting some statistics I thought this was a good one to share, so far the amount of deaths worldwide attributed to COVID-19 is just over 23,000.

According to the the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) they estimate that the amount of deaths worldwide attributed to influenza each year is approximately 389,000.

My condolences to your 401K.

I pray we stay under that flu number, but mathematically I can’t see it.

1 month ago we were at 2500 or so deaths. Now 25k and not expected to peak until May.

I pray we stay under that flu number, but mathematically I can’t see it.

1 month ago we were at 2500 or so deaths. Now 25k and not expected to peak until May.

I honestly hope that guru is right and this is a complete overreaction and we did this all needlessly. The big concern with this disease is the the fact that since it came from an animal we don't have any natural immunity to it compared to the flu (which is still very deadly) also we have nothing resembling a vaccine or truly effective treatments short of supporting the body until it manages to fight it off. Also how many people who end up dying from the flu each year don't ever get the shot thinking "I don't need it." Something I probably ought to look into at some point in the future considering the number of times I have argued with people about the value of a flu shot.

Also the rate of transmission with this one seems to be much higher than other the comparable diseases at the moment. The more people it infects the higher the chance that people with immunodeficiency or other serious health issues will catch it. As the only person in my house who was not born prematurely I would rather not see their systems put to the test.