Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Also, it’s been pounded in our heads over and over again that COVID-19 doesn’t kill more people than the flu and the mortality rate is considerably lower than predictions and models have stated(Nevermind that those predictions and models only gave total numbers without a specified time period but I digress). With us knowing that these numbers are factual why would anyone risk taking these substances against doctor’s orders when there is a 98% recovery rate? Not to mention, doctors are saying that people who claim this medicine healed them are saying that COVID-19 simply ran its course in the patients.

So I ask, why risk taking this substance if 98% recover from it?

The risk is almost none. Long term use of the medication can create issue with eyes. Its been around over 70 years.

The use of it at this point would be an "off-label" use. But a doctor can prescribe it if they see fit. "Off-label" is not only allowed but it is sometimes pushed by pharma companies to enhance sales. I know of someone who was a whistle-blower when, as a sales rep, they were mandated by their employer to push "off-label" to doctors.

From a Lopus webpage on the drugs:

"Damage to the retina, the light sensitive portion of the inner eye, can occur with long-term use of Plaquenil or chloroquine (Aralen). With Plaquenil, however, the most commonly prescribed anti-malarial, this sort of damage occurs only in 1 out of 5,000 people who take the drug for five years or more. For this reason though, it is important that you see an ophthalmologist for an exam before starting to take an anti-malarial medication for your lupus. Follow-up exams every 6 months (or, annually at the very least) are also advised. You can also monitor yourself between visits with a special grid called an Amsler grid, which can be obtained through your ophthalmologist."

The risk is almost none. Long term use of the medication can create issue with eyes. Its been around over 70 years.

The use of it at this point would be an "off-label" use. But a doctor can prescribe it if they see fit. "Off-label" is not only allowed but it is sometimes pushed by pharma companies to enhance sales. I know of someone who was a whistle-blower when, as a sales rep, they were mandated by their employer to push "off-label" to doctors.

From a Lopus webpage on the drugs:

"Damage to the retina, the light sensitive portion of the inner eye, can occur with long-term use of Plaquenil or chloroquine (Aralen). With Plaquenil, however, the most commonly prescribed anti-malarial, this sort of damage occurs only in 1 out of 5,000 people who take the drug for five years or more. For this reason though, it is important that you see an ophthalmologist for an exam before starting to take an anti-malarial medication for your lupus. Follow-up exams every 6 months (or, annually at the very least) are also advised. You can also monitor yourself between visits with a special grid called an Amsler grid, which can be obtained through your ophthalmologist."

So it sounds like the risk of side effects from short term use of this medicine as would be needed to treat this virus would be almost nil. It may not be the miracle cure but I can't see what it hurts to try to use it with patients who are critical.

From Twitter:

Today, Friday, March 27, 2020: We saw the Holy Father, Pope Francis, addressing the world from St. Peter's Square in the Vatican as it stood completely devoid of other people.

Absolutely surreal.

The Pope's address, which included the sacred "Urbi et Orbi" blessing, was given today in response to the worldwide coronavirus pandemic and was conferred to Catholic's and the world at large. The Urbi et Orbi is the most solemn form of blessing in the Catholic Church.

This marks the first time in the 2000-year history of the Catholic Church that the Urbi et Orbi, which can only be conferred by a sitting pope, was given outside of its traditional place at Easter, Christmas, and the proclamation of a newly elected pope.

Pope Francis also chose to bring the sacred Salus Populi Romani, an over 1400yr old icon image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, from its usual place in the Basilica of Saint Mary Major to the wet, rainy, empty St. Peter's Square to be able to pray before the holy image.

Pope Gregory I, now a Catholic Saint, placed the icon in Rome's Basilica of Saint Mary Major in 590 AD after processing it throughout Rome to beg for an end to the Plague of Justinian, which killed an estimated 25–100 million people over two centuries.

In 1837, Pope Gregory XVI would again venerate the Salus Populi Romani as a plea for an end to the cholera pandemic.

Pope Francis is now the third pontiff to pray before the sacred image for an end to a worldwide plague.

EUIsvafWkAA4dBG.jpg

EUIwIJ6WoAAB-Iv.jpg

EUIsyWqXkAA9GnR.jpg

EUIx3ClXQAE9syc.jpg

The second worst scourge on the planet is now upon us - attorneys.

I just received a spam email from a NY law firm looking to sue companies, perhaps even class action, who an employee thinks is treating them wrong because of CV19.

That will get way worse before it gets better.

The second worst scourge on the planet is now upon us - attorneys.

I just received a spam email from a NY law firm looking to sue companies, perhaps even class action, who an employee thinks is treating them wrong because of CV19.

I hear you in regard to the spam email from huge opportunistic firms, but the “first, kill all the lawyers” framing always bewilders me.

I wonder what some would do if their significant other took a surgical mask to use at her work as a nurse at an area hospital experiencing PPE shortages and was told not to use it or go home because masks were being rationed for use by doctors only. Some might call their lawyer for advice.

Full Disclosure: My spouse is a lawyer and has fielded such calls. And yes, an attorney’s expertise and advice has a price tag.

I hear you in regard to the spam email from huge opportunistic firms, but the “first, kill all the lawyers” framing always bewilders me.

I wonder what some would do if their significant other took a surgical mask to use at her work as a nurse at an area hospital experiencing PPE shortages and was told not to use it or go home because masks were being rationed for use by doctors only. Some might call their lawyer for advice.

Full Disclosure: My spouse is a lawyer and has fielded such calls. And yes, an attorney’s expertise and advice has a price tag.

Without taking this thread off track, lawyers do serve a valuable purpose. In general, lawyers are a negative drain on society and the economy.

I just read an article that stated Knox County, Tennessee (Knoxville) saw nine deaths by suicide within 48 hours meaning the county’s suicides over the span of two days this week equates to about 10 percent of last year’s total where 83 lives were lost to suicide in Knox County.

I realize that is anecdotal and causation can't be definitively established but wow.

As of yesterday it looks like Tennessee had 7 deaths statewide because of COVID-19.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Italy has been locked down for about two weeks and the growth in their numbers is finally starting to level off. They are still adding about 6,000 new cases a day and about 900 deaths a day. They are over 10,000 deaths and over 90,000 cases. With no lockdown, what do those numbers look like?

The US is tracking significantly worse than the Italian track. Currently the US sits at 120,000+ cases and right at 2,000 deaths with the numbers continuing rapid growth despite nearly all states having some restrictions in place. No national lockdown in the US though. I wonder at what numbers the doubters and naysayers will admit this is worse than the flu. Remember, these skyrocketing numbers are all happening in spite of many lockdowns in various forms across the country.