Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coronavirus

Featured Replies

In terms of the US overtaking other countries in confirmed cases. It seems as if this is a hot topic right now for many, not so much for myself. What I would like to see though, is the number of people tested in each country vs number of confirmed cases.

 

I know that the US was very slow out of the gates with testing however it also typically takes 3-5 days in a lot of places for results to come back. China's numbers, we just don't know how accurate they are. Italy has a little more than 1/6th the population of the US, so I would expect more cases in the US eventually from a pure numbers game.

 

Is there any where reporting the number of tests taken for COVID-19 vs the number of confirmed positive tests? In addition to that information, what is the criteria being used to decide to test for the virus? Like many have said it's a numbers game and they can be skewed in many directions. I think it's bad, and I think a lot more folks have it that haven't been tested but I think it's not just here in our country that it's like that.

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Views 313.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • My wife is home, but is really no better than when I took her to the ER. However everything they were doing for her there, we are going to be able to do at home. She has a very long recovery in front

  • I mean isn’t that kind of what we did with not allowing smoking inside restaurants? Isn’t that why there’s no smoking at sporting events? It’s to make other people feel more comfortable. Kind of simil

  • This is what I envisioned when the shutdown talks started. I would have never imagined that so many employees were “essential”.    We didn’t really shutdown. We quit going out to eat and t

Posted Images

This might be a dumb question but if someone dies with COVID-19 symptoms and they haven’t been tested for COVID-19 then that death isn’t considered a COVID-19 casualty is it?

 

I ask because I am reading an article where they say doctors and nurses are saying that numbers are being grossly underreported.

 

 

Coronavirus: Doctors At Hospitals Say COVID-19 Death Numbers Aren’t Consistent

 

“Medical professionals around the US told BuzzFeed News that the official numbers of people who have died of COVID-19 are not consistent with the number of deaths they’re seeing on the front lines.

In some cases, it’s a lag in reporting, caused by delays and possible breakdowns in logging positive tests and making them public. In other, more troubling, cases, medical experts told BuzzFeed News they think it’s because people are not being tested before or after they die.

 

In the US, state and county authorities are responsible for collecting data on cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, and deaths. The data is then reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

In terms of the US overtaking other countries in confirmed cases. It seems as if this is a hot topic right now for many, not so much for myself. What I would like to see though, is the number of people tested in each country vs number of confirmed cases.

 

I know that the US was very slow out of the gates with testing however it also typically takes 3-5 days in a lot of places for results to come back. China's numbers, we just don't know how accurate they are. Italy has a little more than 1/6th the population of the US, so I would expect more cases in the US eventually from a pure numbers game.

 

Is there any where reporting the number of tests taken for COVID-19 vs the number of confirmed positive tests? In addition to that information, what is the criteria being used to decide to test for the virus? Like many have said it's a numbers game and they can be skewed in many directions. I think it's bad, and I think a lot more folks have it that haven't been tested but I think it's not just here in our country that it's like that.

 

I think @Bluegrasscard posted a link in this thread somewhere that had that kind of information. Seems like I remember it had the number of tests administered on there.

 

No clue where it is in the thread. Hopefully he can post it again. Lol.

This might be a dumb question but if someone dies with COVID-19 symptoms and they haven’t been tested for COVID-19 then that death isn’t considered a COVID-19 casualty is it?

 

I ask because I am reading an article where they say doctors and nurses are saying that numbers are being grossly underreported.

 

 

Coronavirus: Doctors At Hospitals Say COVID-19 Death Numbers Aren’t Consistent

 

“Medical professionals around the US told BuzzFeed News that the official numbers of people who have died of COVID-19 are not consistent with the number of deaths they’re seeing on the front lines.

 

In some cases, it’s a lag in reporting, caused by delays and possible breakdowns in logging positive tests and making them public. In other, more troubling, cases, medical experts told BuzzFeed News they think it’s because people are not being tested before or after they die.

In the US, state and county authorities are responsible for collecting data on cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, and deaths. The data is then reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

 

Always have to wonder about folks that have all of the symptoms but test negative. Is it a false negative test? Or were they truly negative and just had something else. This is an event that will take years for all of the data to be analyzed and even then there will still be flaws in the numbers for one reason or another.

This might be a dumb question but if someone dies with COVID-19 symptoms and they haven’t been tested for COVID-19 then that death isn’t considered a COVID-19 casualty is it?

 

I ask because I am reading an article where they say doctors and nurses are saying that numbers are being grossly underreported.

 

 

Coronavirus: Doctors At Hospitals Say COVID-19 Death Numbers Aren’t Consistent

 

“Medical professionals around the US told BuzzFeed News that the official numbers of people who have died of COVID-19 are not consistent with the number of deaths they’re seeing on the front lines.

 

In some cases, it’s a lag in reporting, caused by delays and possible breakdowns in logging positive tests and making them public. In other, more troubling, cases, medical experts told BuzzFeed News they think it’s because people are not being tested before or after they die.

 

In the US, state and county authorities are responsible for collecting data on cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, and deaths. The data is then reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

 

Don't take this as fact, but my wife, a doctor working in a hospital on the COVID treatment team, says she highly doubts that someone who is untested for COVID and who presents COVID symptoms at the time of their death would be tested for it after their death at this point in time. Reason being...we currently lack test kits in the United States, and aside from the sake of accurate numbers, there's no real benefit to the test being performed on a dead person aside from alerting morticians to the health hazard and alerting the family of the deceased that they need to quarantine themselves (which they should already be doing - especially if their family member displayed symptoms.)

I think @Bluegrasscard posted a link in this thread somewhere that had that kind of information. Seems like I remember it had the number of tests administered on there.

 

No clue where it is in the thread. Hopefully he can post it again. Lol.

 

It think this is the one.

 

How Many People Have the Coronavirus in Your State Right Now? - The Atlantic

 

I saw some accounts where people were told they would get test results back in 24 to 48 hours but then after getting test they are told a week to 10 days. So the rate and speed of results varies a lot still it seems.

How many in Kentucky are now getting hydroxychloroquine as a treatment?

Wasn’t the early CDC test faulty?

 

Also some labs are having some transfer issues. I know that was mentioned in Kentucky’s daily press conference one day this week.

 

The lab system is more than likely unbelievably strained. Mistakes will happen.

This might be a dumb question but if someone dies with COVID-19 symptoms and they haven’t been tested for COVID-19 then that death isn’t considered a COVID-19 casualty is it?

 

I ask because I am reading an article where they say doctors and nurses are saying that numbers are being grossly underreported.

 

 

Coronavirus: Doctors At Hospitals Say COVID-19 Death Numbers Aren’t Consistent

 

“Medical professionals around the US told BuzzFeed News that the official numbers of people who have died of COVID-19 are not consistent with the number of deaths they’re seeing on the front lines.

 

In some cases, it’s a lag in reporting, caused by delays and possible breakdowns in logging positive tests and making them public. In other, more troubling, cases, medical experts told BuzzFeed News they think it’s because people are not being tested before or after they die.

 

In the US, state and county authorities are responsible for collecting data on cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, and deaths. The data is then reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

 

I've thought that from the very beginning of ever hearing about this. Same goes for the number of confirmed cases. If it's true that some people may never really show strong symptoms, they'll never be a confirmed case, but that doesn't mean they aren't spreading it amongst their community.

I've thought that from the very beginning of ever hearing about this. Same goes for the number of confirmed cases. If it's true that some people may never really show strong symptoms, they'll never be a confirmed case, but that doesn't mean they aren't spreading it amongst their community.

 

Yep.

How many in Kentucky are now getting hydroxychloroquine as a treatment?

 

 

Not sure of exact numbers but I know many pharmacists are not happy about the proclamation of it as a treatment without clinical trials. Largely because of the number of patients that will go with out. That and I know a number of pharmacists I have spoken to have indicated that many doctors are calling in scripts for family (which is ethically questionable most of the time anyway) for Plaquenil and Zithromax to hoard it just in case they need it.

 

I am hoping that it does prove effective long term, but the evidence seems anecdotal thus far.

 

I do know many pharmacies that have been running out because of this though, which is very unfortunate for lupus patients.

How many in Kentucky are now getting hydroxychloroquine as a treatment?

 

Impossible to know. Can anyone even buy it anymore? Last I saw it disappeared as fast as toilet paper and can be difficult to attain. Nevermind that taking it goes against doctor’s orders but we never listen to what doctors have to say anyways.

 

 

Good luck to those who can find it and choose to take it. Make sure you get it from a pharmacist and not a pet store.

Wasn’t the early CDC test faulty?

 

Also some labs are having some transfer issues. I know that was mentioned in Kentucky’s daily press conference one day this week.

 

The lab system is more than likely unbelievably strained. Mistakes will happen.

 

 

The CDC decided to create its own test as opposed to taking the one offered by the WHO but it turned out the CDC one didn't produce consistent results. So they had to scrap it and start again. Not entirely sure why they decided against the WHO one, but we are where we are.

How many in Kentucky are now getting hydroxychloroquine as a treatment?

 

Also, it’s been pounded in our heads over and over again that COVID-19 doesn’t kill more people than the flu and the mortality rate is considerably lower than predictions and models have stated(Nevermind that those predictions and models only gave total numbers without a specified time period but I digress). With us knowing that these numbers are factual why would anyone risk taking these substances against doctor’s orders when there is a 98% recovery rate? Not to mention, doctors are saying that people who claim this medicine healed them are saying that COVID-19 simply ran its course in the patients.

 

So I ask, why risk taking this substance if 98% recover from it?

Not sure of exact numbers but I know many pharmacists are not happy about the proclamation of it as a treatment without clinical trials. Largely because of the number of patients that will go with out. That and I know a number of pharmacists I have spoken to have indicated that many doctors are calling in scripts for family (which is ethically questionable most of the time anyway) for Plaquenil and Zithromax to hoard it just in case they need it.

 

I am hoping that it does prove effective long term, but the evidence seems anecdotal thus far.

 

I do know many pharmacies that have been running out because of this though, which is very unfortunate for lupus patients.

 

 

To supplement this the KY Board of Pharmacy has issued the following guidance:

 

 

https://pharmacy.ky.gov/Documents/Kentucky%20Board%20of%20Pharmacy%20COVID-19%20FAQs.pdf

 

Pages 7-9 cover it, but essentially the doctor has to provide the diagnosis to fill the RX, the pharmacist has the right to use their professional judgement when it comes to filling the medications. They can refuse the fill if they feel it violates dispensing guidelines. More detail plus the Q&A is listed in the link on the pages noted.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.