Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

The Rudy Goebert saga and Jazz/Thunder game cancellation happened exactly two weeks ago today. That seemed like the official kickoff of the national message getting out there.

The last two weeks have taken an eternity.

March 11

1301 cases and 38 deaths.

Today

55,000+ and 785 deaths

Fair to say that number would be triple or worse.

Ohio released a chart tracking Ohio cases from date of first case versus NY, US and Italy. The next 5 days will determine which path Ohio is on. NY is the worst path, even worse than Italy.

Awful prediction, but I bet Florida is even worse.

Praying for this nation.

Awful prediction, but I bet Florida is even worse.

Praying for this nation.

Curious as to why you think Florida will be worse? I know the spring breakers didn’t help anything, but NY is so densely populated with a subway system and lots of international travelers. Sadly, it seems like the perfect storm for CV.

Florida probably has more older folks, but they are more spread out and much more careful. Though I did hear some New Yorkers are fleeing to their Florida homes..

Curious as to why you think Florida will be worse? I know the spring breakers didn’t help anything, but NY is so densely populated with a subway system and lots of international travelers. Sadly, it seems like the perfect storm for CV.

Florida probably has more older folks, but they are more spread out and much more careful. Though I did hear some New Yorkers are fleeing to their Florida homes..

Anyone traveling by air into Florida from New York is being "quarantined" upon arrival.

Florida has been slower to act, and they have a more vulnerable population with a ton of super spreaders in state.

There is an unproven theory that heat cures this emboldening some to act irresponsibly.

Older population is high death risk. Florida has a lot of older people. Italy has the oldest population in Europe.

Florida has been slower to act, and they have a more vulnerable population with a ton of super spreaders in state.

There is an unproven theory that heat cures this emboldening some to act irresponsibly.

My 90 year old dad is in Ft. Meyers. We weighed the pros and cons of flying him back to KY last week. He wanted to stay put and, in the end, we agreed it was safer to stay put than travel. He lives in an adult community where the average age is probably 65. You may be right, if it hits those communities, they might all fall like dominos. Hope you are wrong!

Older population is high death risk. Florida has a lot of older people. Italy has the oldest population in Europe.

I would say that plus the combination of many older people refusing to social distance plus the Gen Z kids thinking they are invincible and congregating in great numbers that the death toll would be higher there too. That would be my thoughts, especially given the condo and retirement communities down there that put them in relatively close contact with each other.

I would say that plus the combination of many older people refusing to social distance plus the Gen Z kids thinking they are invincible and congregating in great numbers that the death toll would be higher there too. That would be my thoughts, especially given the condo and retirement communities down there that put them in relatively close contact with each other.

Older people refusing to social distance? I have not heard that.

In early spring of 1878 an outbreak of Yellow Fever, a viral disease spread by mosquitoes, began in New Orleans and spread inland into the United State in the spring and summer of that year, heading up the Mississippi River to the Arkansas River, the Missouri River, and the Ohio River. The areas nearest to those river systems in the lower Mississippi River Valley recorded approximately 120,000 cases of yellow fever and between 13,000 and 20,000 deaths from the disease.

At that point in time, Cincinnati was a very significant shipping port on the Ohio River. The city had every reason to be concerned with so many of their shipments coming up to Cincinnati ports directly from Memphis, TN, a city that suffered over 5,000 yellow fever deaths in the epidemic.

Thanks to the actions of Dr. Thomas C. Minor, though, Cincinnati managed to only see 35 deaths by yellow fever in the entire epidemic - 33 of which were people who came into Cincinnati from other infected areas and died there under quarantine. Only 2 Cincinnati residents died.

Cincinnati's 1878 Quarantine Saved Thousands Of Lives