Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

I read where Regeneron’s monoclonal antibody treatment phase 3 data will completed in September and I expect it to be good news because they just entered a agreement with Roche to build another plant to produce it and not going to do that if doesn’t work. I would expect the FDA to approve it for use quickly once data is in. Eli Lilly’s monoclonal antibody treatment is in phase 3 testing and data should be in around October or November. These are a bridge to a vaccine but should be very effective. Plus will need them for people who don’t get vaccine and wind up in hospital.

Had to do a tele-visit with my doctor last week, in order to get a refill on my bp medicine.  While we were talking, I asked her when she thought we might be back to some sort of "normalcy".  She said most likely April or May.  She said this flu season is going to be crazy.

I asked her why.  Because I thought if we're doing all these safety precautions for Covid, then the flu numbers this season ought to drop through the floor.  And she said, they very well may.  However, the diagnosing is going to be more difficult, as symptoms will often be similar.

She said they're supposed to be coming out with a test that will look for one or two different strains of the flu, plus Covid, and something else that I didn't recognize...and is supposed to be fast.  But, she said they're not here yet, and who knows when they'll get here.

39 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Had to do a tele-visit with my doctor last week, in order to get a refill on my bp medicine.  While we were talking, I asked her when she thought we might be back to some sort of "normalcy".  She said most likely April or May.  She said this flu season is going to be crazy.

I asked her why.  Because I thought if we're doing all these safety precautions for Covid, then the flu numbers this season ought to drop through the floor.  And she said, they very well may.  However, the diagnosing is going to be more difficult, as symptoms will often be similar.

She said they're supposed to be coming out with a test that will look for one or two different strains of the flu, plus Covid, and something else that I didn't recognize...and is supposed to be fast.  But, she said they're not here yet, and who knows when they'll get here.

Working from home presents a bit of a challenge for me.  When at the office, my company would provide free on-site flu vaccines and blood work for our Vitality program.  That has all been cancelled this year.  I have to go take care of all of that myself this year.

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

Working from home presents a bit of a challenge for me.  When at the office, my company would provide free on-site flu vaccines and blood work for our Vitality program.  That has all been cancelled this year.  I have to go take care of all of that myself this year.

Yeah, that sucks.  We had the same thing.  I think, however, that insurance still will cover it...but you just have to go in to the doctor's office to get it all done.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

Yeah, that sucks.  We had the same thing.  I think, however, that insurance still will cover it...but you just have to go in to the doctor's office to get it all done.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Insurance will cover. Just a pain to make the appointment to do it all.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:58 AM, swamprat said:

I am so used to wearing a mask, now, I forgot to take it off until I got home from work last night. How messed up is that?

I have actually caught myself wearing my mask when driving alone because I forgot to take it off.  Two months ago I made fun of people who did that.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I have actually caught myself wearing my mask when driving alone because I forgot to take it off.  Two months ago I made fun of people who did that.

I rip mine off with a pride and glory that most can't handle.  JK, but it gets tossed every time. 

• Like 1

I'm sure other chains have this, but I have the Publix app on my phone. I can create a list and the app will tell me what isle the item on the list will be in the store I have selected to shop at. It's really convenient. However, with all the distancing regulations, I had to take into account the directional guidance marked on the floor of the store so I had to map out my visits. Odd isles one way, even isle the other. People getting all freaked out if you accidentally went the wrong way.  

I had not been to Publix in about 3 weeks and went to the store in Oldsmar the other day after work to pick up some fresh veggies and a few goods I cannot get online. While the distancing markers were still at the registers, they had removed the all of the directional markers from the floor. I almost did not know how to get around the place. 🤪

5 hours ago, swamprat said:

I was taking a Python data analysis course this afternoon on YouTube and it included Covid data analysis as part of a data modeling example. 🙃  

I teach statistics and if nothing else Covid has given me plenty of real-life statistics examples to discuss in class.

• Like 1

I think taking the vaccine will come down to which one you fear the most. The vaccine or the virus. The virus to me has more risk than a vaccine. It’s being tested in 30,000 people so will know if safe, at least in the short term when most people would have reactions.

• Like 1

I heard the Dr. in charge of the "warp speed" virus program talking the other day and he said he does not expect a vaccine till 2021.

I also heard several of the pharmaceutical companies have signed off together on a public statement saying they will not release a vaccine to the public unless it has been properly tested and they are sure it is safe. They felt they needed to join together and issue this statement because fears are mounting in the public that the vaccines are being rushed to market in an unsafe manner. The pharma companies are concerned people will not use the vaccines once released because they don't trust the process and approvals.