Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

On 8/15/2020 at 6:00 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

Saw today that FDA approved a saliva test that was developed by Yale University with NBA as a partner. This will really help to increase testing. It doesn’t require the regents that are sometimes in shortage.

If people keep getting tested when they show no symptoms, this will never go away.

16 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

So what are you saying, we have a better chance against the virus or stay out of Cincinnati? LOL

The updated report says 19 people shot in Cincy, 4 dead.  I also see Louisville Kentucky had its 97th homicide of the year yesterday.

I would say definitely stay out of both of those (and many other) big cities, they are extremely dangerous. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:17 PM, Bluegrasscard said:

That website is specific for campus students and staff (is not inter-related to general testing by UK Healthcare).  Students have be tested and then do the daily questionnaire. 

However, staff that is on-campus is NOT required to be regularly tested or even one time tested.  They do now have to fill out the health questionnaire daily (even weekends).  

I think these testing efforts of large but not too-large populations with specific demographics will be interesting.  Hopefully less noise in the data with a more controlled population. 

So far 10,595 test, 70 positive.  0.7% - about 1/10th the rate of the statewide numbers.  They keep reporting between 5 - 6% positivity rate statewide.  But when I run the number I keep getting around 7%.  Not sure where the disconnect is. 

As of Thursday (posted yesterday) - UK testing. 

15,450 Tests, 147 positive,  0.951% (Site show 1.0% with rounding). 

https://www.uky.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-testing-results

I think this (and other college results) gives a far better view of the issue since:  a) the pool of the sample population being tested is known; and b) the criteria for having the test is known (mandatory if you are in the sample pool).  These two things are not known with general statewide or nationwide testing and makes conclusions from those numbers all but impossible to understand. 

If this holds around 1% it seems it would be a good outcome.  It would also hopefully mean the concern of football and other sports participants coming out of their summer pseudo-bubble is less. 

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I mean, I can't speak on Cincy. 

Louisville is not "extremely dangerous." 

I worked and lived in Philly for 5 years, most of that time working in what would be considered rough neighborhoods.  During that same time period, I traveled to New York City 3-4 times every month.  Maybe I'm blind, naive, or stupid (or possibly all three), but I never felt like I was in any danger, and never had any problems.  If you look or act like an easy victim, you may have trouble, but honestly, I think that's true anywhere.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I worked and lived in Philly for 5 years, most of that time working in what would be considered rough neighborhoods.  During that same time period, I traveled to New York City 3-4 times every month.  Maybe I'm blind, naive, or stupid (or possibly all three), but I never felt like I was in any danger, and never had any problems.  If you look or act like an easy victim, you may have trouble, but honestly, I think that's true anywhere.

I just saw this for New York:

72-Hour Period, 7 Dead, 51 Shot in NYC

Additionally, I have listened to several TV personalities that claim it is no longer safe for them to walk to work in New York. 

24 minutes ago, theguru said:

I just saw this for New York:

72-Hour Period, 7 Dead, 51 Shot in NYC

Additionally, I have listened to several TV personalities that claim it is no longer safe for them to walk to work in New York. 

In all fairness, my experience in the big cities was over 20 years ago.  However, my question would be how many of those killed/shot were involved in other criminal activity? Plus, in a city of 8.4 million people, an average of 17 people a day getting shot, is statistically a pretty small number.  You're less likely to get shot, and a lot less likely to die from a gunshot, than Covid.

As far as TV personalities, anyone who's recognizeable is likely to have more problems with being bothered out in public.  And how many TV personalities have been shot in NYC in the last few months? Is it really dangerous for them, or is this somebody looking for ratings?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjs4470 said:

In all fairness, my experience in the big cities was over 20 years ago.  However, my question would be how many of those killed/shot were involved in other criminal activity? Plus, in a city of 8.4 million people, an average of 17 people a day getting shot, is statistically a pretty small number.  You're less likely to get shot, and a lot less likely to die from a gunshot, than Covid.

As far as TV personalities, anyone who's recognizeable is likely to have more problems with being bothered out in public.  And how many TV personalities have been shot in NYC in the last few months? Is it really dangerous for them, or is this somebody looking for ratings?

Obviously we could go back and forth here but at the end of the day violent crime and murder is up in America.  

I do realize some crimes like Rape and Burglary may be down in areas but I believe that has a lot to do with more people being home more often. 

• Like 2