Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

14 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I heard the Dr. in charge of the "warp speed" virus program talking the other day and he said he does not expect a vaccine till 2021.

I also heard several of the pharmaceutical companies have signed off together on a public statement saying they will not release a vaccine to the public unless it has been properly tested and they are sure it is safe. They felt they needed to join together and issue this statement because fears are mounting in the public that the vaccines are being rushed to market in an unsafe manner. The pharma companies are concerned people will not use the vaccines once released because they don't trust the process and approvals. 

The speed will depend on how quick people with placebo get corona virus to demonstrate efficacy. Why tests need to be done in hot spots of virus. If cases declining then slows trial down. The independent board that reviews safety and efficacy will approve when see statistical evidence whether that is sooner or later. The monoclonal antibody treatments will be improved sooner since near end of testing and very important since half people won’t get vaccine because of the low death rate in younger people.

21 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I heard the Dr. in charge of the "warp speed" virus program talking the other day and he said he does not expect a vaccine till 2021.

I also heard several of the pharmaceutical companies have signed off together on a public statement saying they will not release a vaccine to the public unless it has been properly tested and they are sure it is safe. They felt they needed to join together and issue this statement because fears are mounting in the public that the vaccines are being rushed to market in an unsafe manner. The pharma companies are concerned people will not use the vaccines once released because they don't trust the process and approvals. 

And then there is this: 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/515558-astrazeneca-vaccine-trial-paused-to-investigate-a-potentially-unexplained

"AstraZeneca is one of three companies that have phase three coronavirus vaccine trials ongoing in the United States. Two other trials are being conducted for potential vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna."

Never has there been a vaccine for a corona virus and there are no RNA/DNA vaccines approved in the US. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Please everyone, get a flu shot.  Make sure your family is also immunized.
I don’t care about the petty reasons you haven’t taken one in the past.  Just do it this year.

Why? The flu vaccine in a good year is 50/50 effective. In some years it’s below 25%. 

4 hours ago, sweet16 said:

Why? The flu vaccine in a good year is 50/50 effective. In some years it’s below 25%. 

It’s typically free and if it decreases the spread of the flu by any measurable number then it’s worth it.

• Like 2

The flu vaccine is free and safe.  Hopefully we understand how devastating Covid can be.  Now that flu season is upon us, the combination of both is potentially a one two punch, that can escalate deaths.  

It’s not just about protecting yourself, it’s about protecting others.  Haven’t we learned that by now?

• Like 1

Got my free flu shot today at the local Walgreens.  Normally, the Walgreens techs would come to my work building and give vaccines to our employees.  Obviously, that didn't happen this year because we are working from home.

• Like 1

Eli Lilly applied for emergency use for monoclonal antibody treatment announced today. They said will have 1 million doses by end of year. They also have a combo antibody treatment they will apply for emergency use in November and will have 50,000 doses of that by end of year. They also entered deal with Amgen to increase production that will ramp up after 1st of year. I expect Regeneron to apply for emergency use very soon also for their anitibody cocktail. Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines in late stage testing and I believe they will be approved for use by December. 2021 can’t get here fast enough.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Eli Lilly applied for emergency use for monoclonal antibody treatment announced today. They said will have 1 million doses by end of year. They also have a combo antibody treatment they will apply for emergency use in November and will have 50,000 doses of that by end of year. They also entered deal with Amgen to increase production that will ramp up after 1st of year. I expect Regeneron to apply for emergency use very soon also for their anitibody cocktail. Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines in late stage testing and I believe they will be approved for use by December. 2021 can’t get here fast enough.

These are all treatments, not vaccines, correct?

• 4 weeks later...

As an RN, who works in a hospital, I can’t help but think....There is a lot to be said about Covid fatigue.

I do not for a minute underestimate how deadly this can be, but I wonder.. Is widespread testing really a good thing?  I hear of so many Covid positive people who have zero symptoms ( most of the positive people I know).  Does that make people think it is not that big a deal? 

What  if only symptomatic people are tested?  How would that statistically be compared to the hospitalization rate as well as the death rate?  Would it diminish the hysteria?

I hate statistics.  Trying to get a real grasp on this is driving me nuts!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

As an RN, who works in a hospital, I can’t help but think....There is a lot to be said about Covid fatigue.

I do not for a minute underestimate how deadly this can be, but I wonder.. Is widespread testing really a good thing?  I hear of so many Covid positive people who have zero symptoms ( most of the positive people I know).  Does that make people think it is not that big a deal? 

What  if only symptomatic people are tested?  How would that statistically be compared to the hospitalization rate as well as the death rate?  Would it diminish the hysteria?

I hate statistics.  Trying to get a real grasp on this is driving me nuts!

The statistic I have always been most focused on is deaths.  I have said all along that if we could control and minimize deaths using therapeutics, we could open things up even more without the need for a vaccine. The US is the worst in the world on deaths but we had done a great job reducing deaths even as we continued opening things up. However, that is the statistic that is most concerning right now as we watch death rates going up again.

• Like 1