Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

A friend who just returned from Panama City said Florida is business as usual. Few people wearing masks.  Social distancing ignored. Eat, drink, and be merry.  First thing he did upon his return was get tested and fortunately the result was negative.

@swamprat

Is this an accurate picture?

Based on pics I've seen on social media, PCB and Destin look like business as usual.

I went to St. George Island back in early July.  They only had 9 confirmed cases the day we left to go to the Island.  The day we got back, it was up to 33 and now it's at 433 one month later.  When we were there, 1 restaurant was already shut down due to an employee testing positive.  Another restaurant shut down for a couple days to completely change their policies so patrons would be more spread out.  Of the restaurants my family attended, only 1 didn't take things seriously, so they ended up just getting carryout there.  Right after we left, the ice cream shop and the restaurant that didn't take things seriously shut down due to potential positive tests with their employees.

The locals were not happy with the influx of people coming in and acting like nothing was going on.  They had just 9 cases since the start of this going into the 4th of July. I'm sure they're really not happy now.  It's such a small populated area, and the hospital is horrible.

• Thanks 1

Hillsborough County, Fla. (August 7, 2020) - To ensure hospital beds remain available to serve the community during the pandemic, Hillsborough County has created a new alternative care site for patients who are recovering from a COVID-19 hospital stay.

The County is partnering with BayCare to launch the innovative project. Hillsborough County Emergency Management refitted a boutique hotel to serve as an alternate care site for COVID-19 patients who are eligible for discharge from a hospital but need support as they recover and may not be able to return home immediately. This unique service provides patients with 24/7 post-acute care and support from doctors and nurses for a few days before going home.

Hillsborough County refitted The West Wing Hotel, 2501 East Fowler Avenue in Tampa, to accommodate the specific needs of a medical facility. The additions include a new generator, a large canopy to provide additional shelter for patients arriving at the facility, and convenience items in the patients' rooms.

Patients who meet the medical criteria will be discharged from the hospital and checked into the new COVID-19 care site for additional care. During their stay, each patient will be quarantined, closely monitored, and will receive supportive care for at least three days, including meals, ongoing vital checks, medications, and oxygen.

This new COVID-19 care site is part of a continuous effort by Hillsborough County and BayCare to provide effective and high-quality care to patients and the community amid the challenges posed by the pandemic. The hotel will be professionally cleaned and refitted to accommodate hotel guests once the need has passed.

https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/media-center/press-releases/2020/08/07/hillsborough-county-creates-new-covid-19-care-site-with-baycare

The West Wing was built in 2015 near the USF-Tampa campus. It utilizes Wes, a Relay Robot. Its job is to deliver items from the front desk to the guest rooms. I imagine, BayCare is re-purposing it to deliver meds and food. It sounds like something BayCare would do.

9 hours ago, swamprat said:

What is UK doing regarding testing? I know USF is mandating testing for all staff (academic and otherwise), student athletes, and those utilizing on campus housing. However, they are only requiring a questionnaire be filled out and doing random sampling of those students that do not live on campus.

That website is specific for campus students and staff (is not inter-related to general testing by UK Healthcare).  Students have be tested and then do the daily questionnaire. 

However, staff that is on-campus is NOT required to be regularly tested or even one time tested.  They do now have to fill out the health questionnaire daily (even weekends).  

I think these testing efforts of large but not too-large populations with specific demographics will be interesting.  Hopefully less noise in the data with a more controlled population. 

So far 10,595 test, 70 positive.  0.7% - about 1/10th the rate of the statewide numbers.  They keep reporting between 5 - 6% positivity rate statewide.  But when I run the number I keep getting around 7%.  Not sure where the disconnect is. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, swamprat said:

Hillsborough County, Fla. (August 7, 2020) - To ensure hospital beds remain available to serve the community during the pandemic, Hillsborough County has created a new alternative care site for patients who are recovering from a COVID-19 hospital stay.

The County is partnering with BayCare to launch the innovative project. Hillsborough County Emergency Management refitted a boutique hotel to serve as an alternate care site for COVID-19 patients who are eligible for discharge from a hospital but need support as they recover and may not be able to return home immediately. This unique service provides patients with 24/7 post-acute care and support from doctors and nurses for a few days before going home.

Hillsborough County refitted The West Wing Hotel, 2501 East Fowler Avenue in Tampa, to accommodate the specific needs of a medical facility. The additions include a new generator, a large canopy to provide additional shelter for patients arriving at the facility, and convenience items in the patients' rooms.

Patients who meet the medical criteria will be discharged from the hospital and checked into the new COVID-19 care site for additional care. During their stay, each patient will be quarantined, closely monitored, and will receive supportive care for at least three days, including meals, ongoing vital checks, medications, and oxygen.

This new COVID-19 care site is part of a continuous effort by Hillsborough County and BayCare to provide effective and high-quality care to patients and the community amid the challenges posed by the pandemic. The hotel will be professionally cleaned and refitted to accommodate hotel guests once the need has passed.

https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/media-center/press-releases/2020/08/07/hillsborough-county-creates-new-covid-19-care-site-with-baycare

The West Wing was built in 2015 near the USF-Tampa campus. It utilizes Wes, a Relay Robot. Its job is to deliver items from the front desk to the guest rooms. I imagine, BayCare is re-purposing it to deliver meds and food. It sounds like something BayCare would do.

What a great idea!  Hope other counties in the country can do this if the need is there.  

3 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Students started arriving here at UofL on Wednesday, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the mask wearing. Everyone is wearing them, even outside. 

I was on Xavier's campus a couple days ago and I saw the same thing. Everyone was being very conscientious on mask wearing and distancing.

• Like 1