Tennessee 82 Kentucky 78 (SEC Tournament Semifinals)

16thBBall Fan

I don't think UK would have beat Auburn with the way they are shooting the ball today. Could the loss to UT yesterday be a blessing for UK? UK and UT both a #2 seed, I would think UT would be in the south over UK and would put UK in with Gonzaga in the west maybe?

I doubt they put UK out West. Most likely Midwest or East now.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 UK couldn't win a road game. Yet in the tournament beat all the experience teams in crunch time to make first final four since 1998. 2012 they won it all. 2014 I think was youngest in nation and knocked off all experienced veteran led squads by making plays at the end to win it. 2016 young team and took the eventual national champs UNC to the very end where it took a last second shot to beat UK.

So I think your theory of Cals young teams not being able to handle the pressure of the tournament has already been shown to not be true.

So you are ok with UK's young teams making the Sweet Sixteen and then bowing out? Moral victory for the youngest team in the country (again and again and again)?

Cal's 11th year has yielded some very talented teams, yet just one championship...the level of expectation for the University of Kentucky.

Experience is the obvious missing factor each year.

So you are ok with UK's young teams making the Sweet Sixteen and then bowing out? Moral victory for the youngest team in the country (again and again and again)?

Cal's 11th year has yielded some very talented teams, yet just one championship...the level of expectation for the University of Kentucky.

Yep the 2012 title team is remembered mainly for Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, but they don’t win it without Darius Miller.

I hope they can at least get some more grad transfers like Reid Travis in the future because UK won’t have many home-grown upperclassmen that get any minutes.

They’ve won 8 championships in 80 and 5 since 1951. And the great Adolph Rupp made it to two Final Fours in his last 21 seasons. They don’t grow on trees.

Im not sure where you came up with your sweet 16 thing. Especially since obvious you liked to ignore the last post that basically went against your them being inexperienced hurting them and getting knocked out by sweet 16. UK has knocked off many top teams with more experience than them in the tournament.

In fact I am not sure if there really has been any game they lost in the tournament under Cal where you can say yeah experienced cost them. 2010 weak spot all year was shooting, and that cost them. 2011 inexperience didnt hurt them. They knocked off top experienced teams like OSU and UNC to make the finals. 2012 was younger than this years Cats and they won the title. 2014 beat 3 teams who made final four the year before with most of their teams back in Louisville, Michigan, and Wisconsin to make the finals.

It's very simple winning the NCAA tournament is hard. Shoot coach K has had arguably a top 5 team in the country almost every year for the last 30 years. So you would think would have even more than I believe the 5 he has. It simply a hard tournament to win. There really isnt a single game they lost where can say yeah experience cost them. They have beat more top teams with experience, than they have lost because of being young.

The only time they have used that lineup was when Reid Travis was hurt. Plus at that time Washington already had 4 fouls. So leaving him in as the only big guy against Tennesees big guys would have increased his chances of also fouling out.

That's why I asked who he would have wanted taken out for Quickley to come in.

I still think it is the move. Washington was in the game anyway so no difference leaving him in. Tennessee didn't have any bigs in the game. They went small. We go small. Put Johnson on Williams. At that point it isn't about offense. It is about taking care of the ball, running clock and shooting free throws if you keep the lead. That small lineup actually was probably a better matchup defensively too with Tennessee spreading the floor and shooting threes.

I still think it is the move. Washington was in the game anyway so no difference leaving him in. Tennessee didn't have any bigs in the game. They went small. We go small. Put Johnson on Williams. At that point it isn't about offense. It is about taking care of the ball, running clock and shooting free throws if you keep the lead. That small lineup actually was probably a better matchup defensively too with Tennessee spreading the floor and shooting threes.

Exactly, give me another ball handler and someone that can knock down free throws.

I dont get the whole game change once Tennesee went zone comments. It didnt change. Shoot UK actually went up to the 8 point lead with 3 minutes left with UT in the zone. UT didnt play the zone again after UK went up 8. UT got a bucket. Then the Herro travel on the inbounds against man to man press. Next possession was against man to man to when Tennessee made Hagans turn it over at mid court.

So I'm not sure where the whole game changed when they went zone comments are about. UK got to the 8 point lead when UT was in zone. Then UT was in man during that last 3 minutes in their run to end the game.

You are right coach about the zone. went back and looked at it. Before TN erased the lead, Ky had five trips vs the zone. One was the TO in backcourt. The other was KJ TO. Cats scored twice vs that zone in those last three minutes.

Are you saying that 40% (2 of 5) of UK's possessions against the zone resulted in turnovers? Obviously that is not good. (Maybe I am not understanding your post correctly.)

The backcourt by Herro had nothing to do with the zone. So it’s really more like the Cats were 2-4 in scoring vs the zone in that segment.

Edited by bugatti

Then I look at the shot PJ got on that last possession and it is hard to say they could have gotten anything better with a time out.

In that situation, if fans were told they get two options...

1) P.J. gets two looks, with one of them being a 1-footer.

2) Call a timeout.

...I can't imagine any would select choice #2.