Tennessee 82 Kentucky 78 (SEC Tournament Semifinals)

16thBBall Fan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason Quickley shouldn't have played more than 9 minutes in this game. Especially when you are up 8 with less than 5 minutes and you make a decision to slow things down. This team is just not good at that, give me all the ball handlers you have out on the court.

Who do you take out then?

Sorry for coming into this discussion so late.

What I saw yesterday, was a veteran team tightening up and focusing late in the game. And a young team (again) having some adversity and wilting and losing focus late in the game.

This is, and probably will be the story every year with Kentucky. We will see this in the SEC semi-finals and the NCAA tournament each year. The Kentucky model is not one to win championships. When these super talented freshman face pressure and adversity, they are often times not experienced enough to focus and handle it.

Cal has a very nice team this year with lots of good parts to it. But.....I just don't see the opportunity to make a run at a championship, which is the standard at Kentucky.

2011 UK couldn't win a road game. Yet in the tournament beat all the experience teams in crunch time to make first final four since 1998. 2012 they won it all. 2014 I think was youngest in nation and knocked off all experienced veteran led squads by making plays at the end to win it. 2016 young team and took the eventual national champs UNC to the very end where it took a last second shot to beat UK.

So I think your theory of Cals young teams not being able to handle the pressure of the tournament has already been shown to not be true.

Nobody ever mentions the fact that Ky never scores on out of bounds situations and possessions out of timeouts. All good teams do this time after time. Never a timeout used to slow down a run made by the opposition and never a timeout used to set up a last second crucial shot. Ky cannot win championships with this type coaching. Please watch other guys work the game situations necessary to succeed Cal and quit your stubborn attitude. Take your players success first in mind and drop the attitude.

Cal usually always calls timeouts when teams make runs, so not sure what you are talking about there. As for out of bounds plays you are correct, they rarely score out of out of bounds plays, because they dont really try to score on out of bounds plays. With that said during Cals tenure they have also rarely if ever turned the ball over on out of bounds plays from anywhere on the court. That is why that turnover by Herro on the Walk on the out of bounds plays is so rare.

As for end of games situations every coach has different philosophies. Roy Williams for UNC rarely calls timeouts at end of games and he has won titles doing it that way. Jay Wright at Villanova won a championship on the last shot of the game doing it that way by not calling timeout.

So just because your philosophy may differ doesn't mean his philosophy is wrong. It has also been proven to work too. Shoot both the 2011 and 2014 tournament runs came on plays at end of games that UK won by not taking timeouts.

I think the committee will take the 2 wins without Zion and couple it with the 1 point loss with Zion and it will be more than enough. I agree Duke will be the top overall seed. If the committee agrees with that, then I don’t see how they also wouldn’t think UNC is right behind Duke. UK was the SECs only shot a 1 seed. I just don’t think Tennessee has a strong enough resume to get that one seed.

It will be interesting to see how the committee uses the NET rankings and quad system if Tennesee wins. Net rankings Tennesee is two spots ahead of UNC. If Tennesee wins today. Tennesee will have the same amount of quad one wins as UNC. Strength of schedule Tennesee is right behind UNC and would have 2 less losses. So if they truly go by net and quad wins Tennesee will be a 1 over UNC. With that said that would also mean Virginia would be the top overall seed. So will be interesting to see in what ways they use their ranking to determine things. Should give a better idea for future years.

Tennessee had only 6 turnovers yesterday and have already committed 9 today in the first 12 minutes. Unreal

I'm thinking they may be a bit drained from last night. They still have plenty of time and talent to win the game but they don't want to get much further behind.

I don't think UK would have beat Auburn with the way they are shooting the ball today. Could the loss to UT yesterday be a blessing for UK? UK and UT both a #2 seed, I would think UT would be in the south over UK and would put UK in with Gonzaga in the west maybe?

When Travis went to the bench, Quickley comes in. PJ is the only big with Herro, Hagans, Johnson and Quickley.

The only time they have used that lineup was when Reid Travis was hurt. Plus at that time Washington already had 4 fouls. So leaving him in as the only big guy against Tennesees big guys would have increased his chances of also fouling out.

That's why I asked who he would have wanted taken out for Quickley to come in.