How much does this weekend's protests hurt the NFL?

ManOfTroy

The whole protest thing is already played out in my opinion, also I feel the vast majority are doing it bc its the new "cool" thing to do. The arrogance of the NFL and its players I feel is hilarious. Do they really think anyone outside of the football (fans) world care what they are doing? Protesting social inequality? What about all the other minorities in the US of A? How come they are protesting social inequality in their areas of our great country? Kapernick doing it for a reason, most just bc its trendy. How many are actually acting on perceived social injustices. Id tell my teammates and coach to pound salt and not apologize.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole protest thing is already played out in my opinion, also I feel the vast majority are doing it bc its the new "cool" thing to do. The arrogance of the NFL and its players I feel is hilarious. Do they really think anyone outside of the football (fans) world care what they are doing? Protesting social inequality? What about all the other minorities in the US of A? How come they are protesting social inequality in their areas of our great country? Kapernick doing it for a reason, most just bc its trendy. How many are actually acting on perceived social injustices. Id tell my teammates and coach to pound salt and not apologize.

Or maybe they are kneeling to join a cause, because collectively their their actions are more impactful. Why is it that so many spend so much time and effort trying to minimize and brush off what these players doing and trying to accomplish? Athletes have always been among the most charitable and socially conscious because they have a big platform and are highly visible. It just amazes how so many feel they shouldn’t have a voice or opinion at all because of their profession or income.

So, let's dig a bit deeper on this one. What's your "correct" form of protest???

Robust reaction tonight when the Cowboys took a knee BEFORE the anthem. Almost makes it feel like the flag and the anthem aren't the real issue at hand. Probably just me though. Carry on...

The flag and the anthem are NOT the real issue. That is why I wish they would use another form of protest because what they have done has made the flag and the anthem the issue and that's not what they're upset about. This has been my point all along.

I'm in the minority and I understand that, but I just love football. I don't really care what the players do off the field or pregame as long as it doesn't affect the play on the field. I don't really understand how someone can say they are going to stop watching because of this. What are you going to do start watching Bowling on ESPN on sundays? Haha

I agree, a majority of fans are not going to stop watching but there are fringe fans who are being driven away. The casual fan that watches the hometown team only but isn't going to watch every Thursday, Sunday and Monday night. Maybe they stop watching.

I was out yesterday and overheard 3 old men discussing the Bengals and 2 of them said that they were not going to watch anymore. One said, "The whole taking a knee thing. Makes me sick." There are people upset by this and some off them are turning the NFL off.

Robust reaction tonight when the Cowboys took a knee BEFORE the anthem. Almost makes it feel like the flag and the anthem aren't the real issue at hand. Probably just me though. Carry on...

I disagree with this post . No one knew they were going to stand. People were booing because they thought they would continue to kneel. When they stood booing quit. If cowboys do this again we won't hear many boos.

Steelers owner wrote letter to fans pretty much begging them for support after some sent him videos of them burning the jerseys. Can you say backfire.

He even said they weren't trying to protest, what a joke.

I didn't get to watch one game and was perfectly happy.

I saw Directv offering refunds for their NFL package. Not sure if NFL gets a %, but that is one thing that will get their attention. I know USAA is a big NFL sponsor and I would think they would be taking some heat. I believe I saw a Reuters poll 72% are against the kneeling. When it affects the bottom line, NFL will have to make changes. My guess, they'll go back to pre 2009, and not have the teams come out for the anthem.

No one understands why they are protesting? I do. Very clearly. It is also very clear to me that they are not protesting/disrespecting the anthem or flag. Both things are also exceedingly clear to my Vietnam veteran father. While neither of us would choose to protest in this way, we both understand and support the rights of those that do.

For those that complain about other minority groups not protesting, is it only okay for a minority to protest if all minorities are doing so?