How much does this weekend's protests hurt the NFL?

ManOfTroy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The protesters are not against the flag or the national anthem (and I agree that they are not), so why protest the anthem and the flag? (I guess you'll say to get everyone's attention). That's fine but their form of protest has turned the issue from what they want it to be to an issue on the national anthem and the flag.

Right. But only because shifting the focus is easier than having the uncomfortable conversations needed to fix racial inequality in this country. Find a different method, and they will find a different way to shift away from the real issue. Has been happening here for a solid century plus...

Right. But only because shifting the focus is easier than having the uncomfortable conversations needed to fix racial inequality in this country. Find a different method, and they will find a different way to shift away from the real issue. Has been happening here for a solid century plus...

You're right. If people don't want to deal with it then they will shift the focus. If that is happening here then that is a problem. But, I do think that the form of protest is the opportunity for them to change that focus.

Except for the small detail that they DIDN'T degrade the flag or the anthem. One of the pillars those two things stand for is the ability to live in a democracy and speak out peacefully against inequality and injustice. This isn't that hard, people...

You can spin it anyway you want but they're using a cherished and honored symbol to make their point. In my opinion that's degrading, especially to our military and its members, both past and present.

You can spin it anyway you want but they're using a cherished and honored symbol to make their point. In my opinion that's degrading, especially to our military and its members, both past and present.

Did you know that peaceful protest isn't considered a sign of disrespect according to the articles of the flag? I'd say that is a pretty good starting point on the topic...

But it's not degrading when people continue to walk through the concourse, text on their phone, carry on a conversation, etc. during the anthem at games?

Does anyone know anybody personally that isn't watching the NFL because guys are kneeling? I don't.

I personally don't care if players stand, kneel, hang out in the lockerroom. I just care if my fantasy players beat their projections.

NFL ratings being down has more to do with the Red Zone, Cord Cutters, and people's teams being bad.

I know a few.

I know of no one. A couple talk a good game, but they will watch.

I know of a few, but I agree with you that most people are more talk. I am going to tell you a story. My parents were huge baseball fans. My mom retired in 94' and part of her retirement present, we bought her and dad a train ticket to Chicago, and tickets to all 3 games of a weekend series with the Cubs. About a month before they were to leave, MLB went on strike and the rest of the season was cancelled. They took the train and enjoyed Chicago, but to this day, neither one of them has watched another baseball game live or on TV.

The NFL players IMO are going about it all wrong. Just like the movie stars bashing Trump every chance they get it just doesn't make any sense. Don't they realize that the fans pay their salary and ticking them off is not good for business. There is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar these days, and let's face it, an NFL ticket is not cheap. It's down right disrespectful to dishonor our flag by kneeling, or in some cases burning it. Speak out all you want, or go to the cities where the racial inequality is and do something about it. Help improve the communication between the people and the police. Peacefully protest, but please don't disrespect the flag and all that have died for our freedom. As Merle Haggard put it, "That's walking on the fighting side of me."