How much does this weekend's protests hurt the NFL?

ManOfTroy

Since the NFL is condoning the players protest of the flag, I see this escalating. I can even see Trump threatening the leagues anti-trust exemption.

I've yet to hear any knee-takers claim this to be their intent.

How is it that so many insist on painting it as if it was?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The die hard fans, like myself, will always watch. The casual fans are the ones that will stop from watching.

It's their right to kneel or protest and it's my right to think they are stupid for doing it.

Also keep in mind that every time our President goes off on one of these tirades, he always has more support then people assumed he would have had.

I know, right?

Scary, isn't it?

"I don't know anyone who isn't watching" is like a Democrat saying "I don't know how Hillary lost, everyone I know voted for her."

"The bad team's fans aren't watching" doesn't make sense either. There are many bad teams every year. Ratings are down and are likely to drop more.

"Cutting the cord" excuse doesn't explain it either. All but one game every week is on network television.

"I don't know anyone who isn't watching" is like a Democrat saying "I don't know how Hillary lost, everyone I know voted for her."

"The bad team's fans aren't watching" doesn't make sense either. There are many bad teams every year. Ratings are down and are likely to drop more.

"Cutting the cord" excuse doesn't explain it either. All but one game every week is on network television.

I don't know the answer to this. Perhaps you or someone else does. How are ratings for other cable focused channels over the past few years (compared to ESPN)?

How are ratings on NFL games on FOX, CBS and NBC compared to ESPN games? On this question, I believe ratings are down on all the channels, which would say it is not specifically an ESPN problem.

It absolutely works. I can't watch any game that is on CBS. And I can only watch Fox games because my antenna picks it up. If you cut the cord and go with a streaming service, you can't watch CBS or Fox live without an antenna.

"Against the flag"... good heavens. You guys can't even be bothered to listen to them about the nature of their protests. The Patriotism Police are out in full force and the PC Police have nothing on you folks.

You’re friends are choosing to use the flag as a platform to protest. And thank you for calling me the Patriot police. I couldnt receive a better compliment. I love this country and respect those who come home with a flag draped over them, so I can watch grown men play games.

@richarddeitsch

CBS says its NFL games were up four percent over last year's Week 3 games. GB-CIN is the highest rated game of the week so far.

CBS said The NFL Today yesterday had its highest overnight rating since 2010 (3.2 rating).

So, this didn't have any impact on the league. Pretty much what I figured.

SNF was down 10% from last year.

It absolutely works. I can't watch any game that is on CBS. And I can only watch Fox games because my antenna picks it up. If you cut the cord and go with a streaming service, you can't watch CBS or Fox live without an antenna.

That is what "cutting the cord" means!!!! I was totally confused.

I didn't know that was an issue. My parents got a digital box when they said you had to get one and their channels were fine. I assumed you got them all.

Falcons vs. Saints of 2016 is definitely more entertaining than Raiders vs. Redskins of 2017.

I'd disagree. At the beginning of the year, the Falcons weren't on anyone's radar as a Super Bowl contender and the Saints are a smaller market. The Raiders are contenders and the Redskins are an east coast team in a huge market.

With that said, I think comparing weekly ratings from year to year is irrelevant. The Cin-GB game had little competition, there were only 3 late games. The overall ratings are down.