How much does this weekend's protests hurt the NFL?

ManOfTroy

The reason that I feel that way is because it is quiet and does not disturb others. It would not interfere with my enjoyment of the Anthem in any way. I've seen people chomp on gum loudly, rolling their eyes, but hey...at least they were standing, right? So, too, are those talking on their phones or watching videos. I could go on, but I won't.

Back to the forest. Are you bothered by the fact that there is a whole group of people that feel as though the American dream is less for them than for others?

Yes. I wish that something more would be done about it. My point all week has been that it is not being discuss because they chose to protest during the National Anthem which has turned it into a flag and anthem debate.

Also, I agree with you about others being disrespectful during the anthem and, as I think about it, an NFL stadium might be one of the worst place for this.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not exactly what he said is it? He didnt say all white supremacists that were protesting were fine upstanding people.

However, you've proven my point. Are they protesting Trump? Or police? Or racism?

:lol2: No, he didn't say all the white supremists were fine, upstanding individuals. I'm of the opinion that no one that thinks that the white "race" is better than any other race is a fine, upstanding individual.

They em are not protesting police. They are protesting police brutality. They are protesting systemic racism. They are protesting those that think that "some" white supremists are fine upstanding individuals, while black men quietly protesting are called profane names. Yeah, again, some had finally had too much. It was time to show solidarity, even if just that one day. There isn't only one answer to your question.

The irony is that those white supremists, some of which are so upstanding, were at a rally with Confederate and Nazi flags. Talk about things that dishonor and disrespect what our flag stands for! But, both are legal and these types of rallies are also protected forms of free speech. It just sure seems like a double standard the way some lose their minds over quiet kneeling, but think that those with Confederate and Nazi flags aren't doing far worse.

Yes. I wish that something more would be done about it. My point all week has been that it is not being discuss because they chose to protest during the National Anthem which has turned it into a flag and anthem debate.

Also, I agree with you about others being disrespectful during the anthem and, as I think about it, an NFL stadium might be one of the worst place for this.

And the counter point has been the same all along as well. It doesn't matter the form of protest. The other side would either continue to move the target or simply dismiss it as irrelevant as has been the case for over a century.

You have yet to produce this perfect form of protest that fixes racial injustice and inequality. Let's hear it...

The worst that I have seen was at a NASCAR race in Alabama. During the Anthem, the guy behind me was making comments about the young black woman who was singing the Anthem. He was very loud. I won't repeat what he said, but you can imagine. I turned around and gave him "the look." That did nothing but turn his anger toward me the whole first half of the race. Friends of mine went and told an usher, who saw what he was doing, who then got security. He was thrown out of the race.

And the counter point has been the same all along as well. It doesn't matter the form of protest. The other side would either continue to move the target or simply dismiss it as irrelevant as has been the case for over a century.

You have yet to produce this perfect form of protest that fixes racial injustice and inequality. Let's hear it...

Right, because there's one protest that fixes everything. What I do know is that this protest is not doing much to move us toward that because it has taken the focus off of those issues. From another thread discussion, what if all of these players were kneeling and praying? How would that work? What would you suggest?

Edited by ManOfTroy

The worst that I have seen was at a NASCAR race in Alabama. During the Anthem, the guy behind me was making comments about the young black woman who was singing the Anthem. He was very loud. I won't repeat what he said, but you can imagine. I turned around and gave him "the look." That did nothing but turn his anger toward me the whole first half of the race. Friends of mine went and told an usher, who saw what he was doing, who then got security. He was thrown out of the race.

I have not experienced a NASCAR race but I have experienced Alabama. I'm sure you are correct.

:lol2: No, he didn't say all the white supremists were fine, upstanding individuals. I'm of the opinion that no one that thinks that the white "race" is better than any other race is a fine, upstanding individual.

They em are not protesting police. They are protesting police brutality. They are protesting systemic racism. They are protesting those that think that "some" white supremists are fine upstanding individuals, while black men quietly protesting are called profane names. Yeah, again, some had finally had too much. It was time to show solidarity, even if just that one day. There isn't only one answer to your question.

The irony is that those white supremists, some of which are so upstanding, were at a rally with Confederate and Nazi flags. Talk about things that dishonor and disrespect what our flag stands for! But, both are legal and these types of rallies are also protected forms of free speech. It just sure seems like a double standard the way some lose their minds over quiet kneeling, but think that those with Confederate and Nazi flags aren't doing far worse.

Why are you laughing?

I don't think he said any white supremacists were good people. Did he? In fact, didnt he condemn them?

I dont know anyone who agrees with white supremacists or Nazis fwiw.

And while there are some issues with police brutality, the facts dont support an argument that its widespread or rampant. In fact the statistics and facts prove the opposite.

Really? Plato's Closet burns or throws away clothes? Because that's what my post was about. These people didn't sell their items to Plato's Closet. They burned them.

What's the difference? If you aren't donating, you aren't donating. They just didn't make any money off their old clothes.

This conversation has gotten so ridiculous. :lol2:

You've never sold anything in your life that could have been donated?

Nope. Don't do yard sales, don't have an e-bay or Craig's list, or such. If I can't use something or simply don't want it, I give it to someone, donate it, recycle it or junk it.

The NFL has become too homogenized. I wonder what the viewership would be if it were not for fantasy football. Maybe it will trend toward being like the NBA---where some fans don't get seriously interested until the playoffs.

This is a good point.

I know that by a huge majority the members of my golf club who watch NFL games watch them because they're playing in fantasy leagues. The ones who watch in the clubhouse do so while checking their phones for fantasy points earned by their player picks. Most of them wouldn't give the majority of televised games much more than an occasional glance if not for fantasy.

you've never heard of a yard sale? Really?

I stopped holding yard sales years ago.

All unwanted used clothing goes to Women's Crisis Center, thrift store operated by local mental health center (where I could have them itemize and give me a statement for taxes, but I don't), etc.

This is a good point.

I know that by a huge majority the members of my golf club who watch NFL games watch them because they're playing in fantasy leagues. The ones who watch in the clubhouse do so while checking their phones for fantasy points earned by their player picks. Most of them wouldn't give the majority of televised games much more than an occasional glance if not for fantasy.

Imaging how football viewership would be without fantasy leagues is like imaging what the sky would be like if it wasn’t blue. All sports have fantasy leagues, but football is by far the biggest. Fantasy football isn’t going anywhere soon...saying football wouldn’t have high viewership without it is kind of a pointless argument.

Imaging how football viewership would be without fantasy leagues is like imaging what the sky would be like if it wasn’t blue. All sports have fantasy leagues, but football is by far the biggest. Fantasy football isn’t going anywhere soon...saying football wouldn’t have high viewership without it is kind of a pointless argument.

I agree with your assessment to a degree.

Just trying to make the point that without fantasy league the guys I know wouldn't sit and watch the NFL games that are meaningless, especially after the season gets to the halfway point.

I agree with your assessment to a degree.

Just trying to make the point that without fantasy league the guys I know wouldn't sit and watch the NFL games that are meaningless, especially after the season gets to the halfway point.

I do too. To a certain extent, I watch a more football than ever, because of fantasy. Fantasy has definitely increased my consumption of the sport. Fantasy Football is now woven into the fabric of the sport.

What's the difference? If you aren't donating, you aren't donating. They just didn't make any money off their old clothes.

This conversation has gotten so ridiculous. :lol2:

My issue was the wastefulness. Selling and donating aren't wasteful.

I agree on the ridiculousness. I'm not sure why you've posted so many times about selling vs. donating. That was never the issue.