KHSAA Football Finals Moved to UK for 2017 & 2018

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While in the 1960s and early 1970s the KHSAA used to play the A and AA championships in Lexington and the AAA in Louisville, I can't imagine a modern situation where the state finals would be split between venues.
I agree. I think the only reason it was split then is that AAA was made up of Jefferson County schools exclusively.

After WKU entered C-USA, that weekend became a big problem due to Western hosting the conference title game a couple times. Made the schedule a real pain. This was inevitable.

This

I hate it though, way to big and worst of all it will mean I have to drive a lot further

I live in Bowling Green and hate to see it go, but I didn't like the three days of games​. Losing the Russell sponsorship was the nail in the coffin. It doesn't matter, I would go watch it if it was played in Whitesburg.

They didn't LOSE the Russell sponsorship. The KHSAA voided the contract.

While in the 1960s and early 1970s the KHSAA used to play the A and AA championships in Lexington and the AAA in Louisville, I can't imagine a modern situation where the state finals would be split between venues.

I actually think some states might have 2 different venues.

For some reason, North Carolina sticks out as one. I think they play half the games at Wake Forest and the other half at NC State.

Long time reader here, and registered for this site today just so I could comment on this thread (and more in the future, of course).

I somewhat understand the argument of the C-USA CCG being a factor in moving the site. However, I doubt that it hindered attendance very much at all. If you were going to watch the championships, you were going to go one way or another. Additionally, you got to watch great football in WKU while you were in town. Bonus football.

Second, a local beat writer for WKU posted on twitter earlier that a big factor in moving the championship was also that they wanted to "spread the championships around." If by spread, he must of meant consolidate, because now UK has MBB, WBB, and FB championships for the next few years. I believe this has little to do with fans/athletes, and more to do with this pervasive bias towards UK that has infected this state. Why give WKU/NKU/EKU anything, when they can benefit UK?

Lexington is not more centrally located than BG. BG is virtually the same distance to the geographic center of KY than is Lexington. The geographic center is Lebanon, KY. 20 miles difference between Lex to Lebanon and BG to Lebanon.

However, I guess it is nice that the KHSAA is allowing a championship game to be played at UK. After all, it has never happened in the history of football.

And, yes I am clearly salty. :isurrender:

Long time reader here, and registered for this site today just so I could comment on this thread (and more in the future, of course).

I somewhat understand the argument of the C-USA CCG being a factor in moving the site. However, I doubt that it hindered attendance very much at all. If you were going to watch the championships, you were going to go one way or another. Additionally, you got to watch great football in WKU while you were in town. Bonus football.

Second, a local beat writer for WKU posted on twitter earlier that a big factor in moving the championship was also that they wanted to "spread the championships around." If by spread, he must of meant consolidate, because now UK has MBB, WBB, and FB championships for the next few years. I believe this has little to do with fans/athletes, and more to do with this pervasive bias towards UK that has infected this state. Why give WKU/NKU/EKU anything, when they can benefit UK?

Lexington is not more centrally located than BG. BG is virtually the same distance to the geographic center of KY than is Lexington. The geographic center is Lebanon, KY. 20 miles difference between Lex to Lebanon and BG to Lebanon.

However, I guess it is nice that the KHSAA is allowing a championship game to be played at UK. After all, it has never happened in the history of football.

And, yes I am clearly salty. :isurrender:

Great first post!

Welcome aboard @CyrusJS

I've been on the WKU Bandwagon for years because it was a great venue for the State Football Finals. However, like mentioned above, once WKU starting hosting Conference Championship Games on the same weekend it totally disrupted the natural flow of the State Final Games and I support the move.

Additionally, even though UK stinks in football and should be embarrassed by their lack of success, UK is still recognized as our Crown Jewel and I think playing the State Championships at UK is a really nice move.

Hopefully the games will be supported by larger crowds at UK.

I've been on the WKU Bandwagon for years because it was a great venue for the State Football Finals. However, like mentioned above, once WKU starting hosting Conference Championship Games on the same weekend it totally disrupted the natural flow of the State Final Games and I support the move.

Additionally, even though UK stinks in football and should be embarrassed by their lack of success, UK is still recognized as our Crown Jewel and I think playing the State Championships at UK is a really nice move.

Hopefully the games will be supported by larger crowds at UK.

Like I said, I totally understand how the CCG was a factor. Big reason it moved from UofL. Not sure if UK is considered the Crown Jewel. I'd lean more towards UofL recently, although it is impossible to say when Western can't get a spot in this "Governor's Cup" thing.

Kids from all over KY grow up being UK fans. I could see how a player might think it would be more exciting to play at Kroger Field than Smith Stadium. UK is still SEC. However, the game experience is going to be severely less fun with how much the tiny crowds will get swallowed whole. WKU was a nice size.

Most games were in the 4-8k attendance range, and Western hold 24k, whereas Kroger holds nearly 68k. I went to many games while it was here in BG, and I just don't think it can be overstated how terrible the atmosphere is going to be the next couple years.