KHSAA Football Finals Moved to UK for 2017 & 2018

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the better availability of close parking will be a nice thing at CWS. Parking at WKU wasn't ever terrible, but UK has a lot of spaces that are much closer. And when it's the first weekend in December, I'm all for not having to walk that far outside.

Russell Athletic contract will be voided. No sponsor for the event was announced. Given the minimal cost for the event at WKU and the sponsor loss, forces a lot more ticket revenue to be in place for the event in Lex. The FB finals revenue is based largely on WHO is in the finals. NKY/EKY schools will certainly sell more tickets in Lex. KHSAA did benefit from finals appearances from South Warren, Franklin-Simpson, Allen Co-Scottsville, and Bowling Green during their time at WKU.

Just a suggestion, but they need to block off the top & endzones of the stadium with those covers... Make everybody sit in the bottom. It will look like a crowd at a freshmen game...

Yeah that's the big negative I see with the move, any fan attendance will be swallowed by the size of the stadium, no matter how many people show up, the noise and the excitement will get lost.

Also I think you will get WAY more casual fans in Lexington than you ever did in BG. Attendance will go up.

It would be great for HS Football in KY if you are correct. However, if games are played is some of the weather that was endured in BG, I doubt it. Also remember that the Saturday games will battle Conference Championship TV games. The "casual fan" may rather sit at home and watch Alabama vs. Georgia.

With the girls Sweet 16 moving to Lexington how many championships will be contested in other parts of the state? Gotta be honest, my feelings towards UK aside I'm not a fan of this move. I've been on the sideline for championship games at Old Cardinal Stadium, PJCS and WKU. The atmosphere at WKU was the best and I do think it makes a difference. But as others have stated as soon as the Grocery Bag put in turf it was inevitable.

Could be, but I remember Papa John's feeling empty for most of the games.

Let's ask the players whether they'd rather play at WKU or UK/UL. None of the stadiums have ever been full, and I've never been to a state final where the "atmosphere" was so pronounced that it was even remotely impactful on the game.