KHSAA Football Finals Moved to UK for 2017 & 2018

Like I said, I totally understand how the CCG was a factor. Big reason it moved from UofL. Not sure if UK is considered the Crown Jewel. I'd lean more towards UofL recently, although it is impossible to say when Western can't get a spot in this "Governor's Cup" thing.

Kids from all over KY grow up being UK fans. I could see how a player might think it would be more exciting to play at Kroger Field than Smith Stadium. UK is still SEC. However, the game experience is going to be severely less fun with how much the tiny crowds will get swallowed whole. WKU was a nice size.

Most games were in the 4-8k attendance range, and Western hold 24k, whereas Kroger holds nearly 68k. I went to many games while it was here in BG, and I just don't think it can be overstated how terrible the atmosphere is going to be the next couple years.

Atmosphere, which was GREAT at WKU, is more of a fan thing. Once you are down on that field playing I think "atmosphere" is extremely overrated.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody is angry over this!

I felt like this was in the works the first year the schedule had to be adjusted.

With the teams who were in the finals this year, UK was the shorter average distance than WKU or UofL. And it was by something like 50 miles 1 way. UK is ultimately a more centralized location.

At the end of the day the teams, players coaches, fans and parents could care less where the game is played. There will be excitement in the air for all fanbases to make the trip to any Stadium in the state.

Due to the size of the stadium, khsaa and the UK peeps simply need to block off as much at the stadium as possible. Everyone should be able to sit from the 20 to the 20 with no problem.

I actually think some states might have 2 different venues.

For some reason, North Carolina sticks out as one. I think they play half the games at Wake Forest and the other half at NC State.

Several states do. I don't think Kentucky ever will.

Long time reader here, and registered for this site today just so I could comment on this thread (and more in the future, of course).

I somewhat understand the argument of the C-USA CCG being a factor in moving the site. However, I doubt that it hindered attendance very much at all. If you were going to watch the championships, you were going to go one way or another. Additionally, you got to watch great football in WKU while you were in town. Bonus football.

Second, a local beat writer for WKU posted on twitter earlier that a big factor in moving the championship was also that they wanted to "spread the championships around." If by spread, he must of meant consolidate, because now UK has MBB, WBB, and FB championships for the next few years. I believe this has little to do with fans/athletes, and more to do with this pervasive bias towards UK that has infected this state. Why give WKU/NKU/EKU anything, when they can benefit UK?

Lexington is not more centrally located than BG. BG is virtually the same distance to the geographic center of KY than is Lexington. The geographic center is Lebanon, KY. 20 miles difference between Lex to Lebanon and BG to Lebanon.

However, I guess it is nice that the KHSAA is allowing a championship game to be played at UK. After all, it has never happened in the history of football.

And, yes I am clearly salty. :isurrender:

You definitely are Salty...

To say that the rescheduling doesn't affect attendance is not being realistic. I can assure you it does. Just those I'm related accounted for 10-12 less people in both 2015 and 2016. Not just due to rescheduling, but just the possibility of rescheduling and things being up in the air. Hotels are also another factor. For those driving 3+ hours, the rescheduling either means scrambling to find a hotel room for a different night or the difference between having to stay overnight or it being a day trip.

Wasn't the Women's Sweet 16 at NKU this year and Next?

Article I read stated "Move to UK in 2018" is there an official press release?

The KHSAA hasn't put out a news release yet, but here is an article from @Jason Frakes in the Courier-Journal. It includes a couple small comments about it from Commissioner Tackett. According to Frakes, the move is for 2017 and 2018.

KHSAA moves football championships from WKU to UK, girls Sweet 16 basketball to Rupp Arena

Let's ask the players whether they'd rather play at WKU or UK/UL. None of the stadiums have ever been full, and I've never been to a state final where the "atmosphere" was so pronounced that it was even remotely impactful on the game.

You obviously weren't at the Boyle County/Lone Oak game in 2009 when Boyle County came back from a 3 TD deficit to win the game and you obviously weren't at the Boyle County/Allen County-Scottsville game when the entire town of Scottsville showed up and roared mightily the whole game in what turned out to be a much closer game than expected.

You obviously weren't at the Boyle County/Lone Oak game in 2009 when Boyle County came back from a 3 TD deficit to win the game and you obviously weren't at the Boyle County/Allen County-Scottsville game when the entire town of Scottsville showed up and roared mightily the whole game in what turned out to be a much closer game than expected.

Cool.

Two games out of how many dozen?

Has zero affect on the game.

Maybe, maybe not but discussion about this has always focused on people's selfish intentions around the location. I'm definitely getting my selfish intentions out in the open as well. If I am going to take time out of my day to spend time and money on an event I want it my way or my money stays in my pocket.