ESPN Cutting Employees Today

Wireman

I see it as even more than cord cutters. People today get their entertainment in a lot more forms than they ever did in the past with all the technology, smartphones, media through their computer, etc. I still have cable but I watch less TV today than I ever have in my life and the bulk of TV programming I watch is live sports. I was a Sports Center groupie 10 years ago and I can't even remember the last time I watched a full sports center.
But if you have cable ESPN is getting your money to the tune of something like $6-$7 per month.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have DirecTV but I rarely watch ESPN unless there is an interesting game on or a 30 For 30. I haven't really "watched" ESPN in years. Independent of why the network purged dozens of employees, I simply lost interest in their brand. ESPN owns the rights to televise the NFL, NBA and MLB. A smart business model would be to cover and promote these sports through original tv/radio programming. I'm all for that but how they've done it hasn't helped their situation. When Derrick Rose went AWOL from the Knicks earlier in the season, I avoided the network for a while because they beat this dead horse of a story for days. I don't live in NY and I don't really care that Derrick Rose went AWOL without permission and I certainly don't want to be held hostage by ESPN with another story that they're determined to make me "care about" whether I want to or not. Think about it: how many other stories have they wanted you to "care about" over the last 12 months? Kaepernick, Phil Jackson, Lavar Ball, etc. etc. etc. My issue with them has been that they've wanted me to care about stories that don't deserve the attention. So in a way, they've kind of become MTV and stopped playing music videos.

I know what the difference is. The cord cutters is the main driver in this.

Butts in front of the tv has MUCH more to do with it I believe. A lot of people still have ESPN on their cable or satellite subscriptions, lots of those still around. However, fewer and fewer people are watching, even those that have it just don't tune in the way they use to. Advertisers know this and have the numbers to show it and aren't going to keep paying the per minute ad prices ESPN was once able to demand with dwindling viewership.

And the major sports leagues better get ready because the next round of tv contracts are going to take a hit, and that's going to affect what the pros are making.

Staggering subscriber losses for ESPN raise questions about the entire TV ecosystem

In 2013, ESPN's subscriber count topped out at 99 million; Disney's latest regulatory filings last month show it has lost 9 million subscribers since then. Reports this year by the ratings company Nielsen seemed to punctuate those losses, suggesting that ESPN lost a record-breaking 621,000 customers between October and November. Although ESPN disputed Nielsen's methodology, and Nielsen briefly withdrew its analysis, the firm later said it stood by the troubling numbers and released new estimates showing that an estimated 555,000 subscribers fled ESPN between November and December.

They are losing subscribers, nothing more nothing else. They need to cut some money.

Staggering subscriber losses for ESPN raise questions about the entire TV ecosystem

In 2013, ESPN's subscriber count topped out at 99 million; Disney's latest regulatory filings last month show it has lost 9 million subscribers since then. Reports this year by the ratings company Nielsen seemed to punctuate those losses, suggesting that ESPN lost a record-breaking 621,000 customers between October and November. Although ESPN disputed Nielsen's methodology, and Nielsen briefly withdrew its analysis, the firm later said it stood by the troubling numbers and released new estimates showing that an estimated 555,000 subscribers fled ESPN between November and December.

They are losing subscribers, nothing more nothing else. They need to cut some money.

Nah, it's definitely their liberal agenda.

Gotta love the irony in them laying off 100 people and then wondering just how much they paid the NFL to broadcast a 3 day draft. No draft should take 3 days when it is less than 10 rounds.

Viewers are being inundated with talking heads who have proven time and time again that they have no idea how to predict the future for the draftees.

ESPN is wearing it's viewers out with opinions! Opinions from so many people that it has become unwatchable for me.

I watched a special during the NCAA men's tournament where 5 college basketball experts gave their views on the upcoming games. All 5 picked Arizona to win the tournament. Later that day Arizona was heading home. Few days later the so called experts were back at it picking some other team to win.

ESPN should change it's name to ESON, Entertainment and Sports Opinion Network.

ESPN and it's constant barrage of opinions has become old and tired.

Out of curiosity. How come people don't like Michael Smith and Jemele Hill? If you don't like them how come you don't like them? They usually have opposing views from each other when it comes to talking about sports so I'm thinking it isn't because of their views on sports. Is it because they have always used their platform to address social issues near and dear to their heart and they were rewarded with the 6pm SportsCenter slot? I'm trying to figure it out because they are both very accomplished and respected journalists who have properly evolved in the evolving field of media. They are tuned in to pop culture in the same way Stuart Scott was, they know their stuff when it comes to sports, they are well respected and loved by all athletes they have encountered and are the face of sports media in the black community. Long story short, black people love them(except for Deuce) and white people can't stand them.

Why is that? What did they do or what have they done that is so egregious?

Out of curiosity. How come people don't like Michael Smith and Jemele Hill? If you don't like them how come you don't like them? They usually have opposing views from each other when it comes to talking about sports so I'm thinking it isn't because of their views on sports. Is it because they have always used their platform to address social issues near and dear to their heart and they were rewarded with the 6pm SportsCenter slot? I'm trying to figure it out because they are both very accomplished and respected journalists who have properly evolved in the evolving field of media. They are tuned in to pop culture in the same way Stuart Scott was, they know their stuff when it comes to sports, they are well respected and loved by all athletes they have encountered and are the face of sports media in the black community. Long story short, black people love them(except for Deuce) and white people can't stand them.

Why is that? What did they do or what have they done that is so egregious?

I just choose to tune out political and social commentary as much as possible. I guess I'd say I don't dislike them, I just don't have a use for them.

Two of my elderly neighbors were chatting yesterday afternoon and while walking the pup we stopped so ours could say high to theirs. Talked a little about the draft that was coming up and then ESPN got brought up. Both said that they've stopped watching it because its "too political".

These are two guys that would have no idea how to "cut the cord". We can pretend its not a factor in viewership, but it plays a part, while probably a small part, it's still part of the reason that people have stopped watching ESPN.