ESPN Cutting Employees Today

Wireman

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity. How come people don't like Michael Smith and Jemele Hill? If you don't like them how come you don't like them? They usually have opposing views from each other when it comes to talking about sports so I'm thinking it isn't because of their views on sports. Is it because they have always used their platform to address social issues near and dear to their heart and they were rewarded with the 6pm SportsCenter slot? I'm trying to figure it out because they are both very accomplished and respected journalists who have properly evolved in the evolving field of media. They are tuned in to pop culture in the same way Stuart Scott was, they know their stuff when it comes to sports, they are well respected and loved by all athletes they have encountered and are the face of sports media in the black community. Long story short, black people love them(except for Deuce) and white people can't stand them.

Why is that? What did they do or what have they done that is so egregious?

I don't think they've done anything egregious. I just don't think they work well together. The exchange seems so fake to me the few times I've watched it.

I've always liked Michael Smith on Around the Horn. Jemele Hill really has never done it for me, but I don't have anything against her. I guess you could say it's more the format and delivery than it is the two.

I don't think they've done anything egregious. I just don't think they work well together. The exchange seems so fake to me the few times I've watched it.

I've always liked Michael Smith on Around the Horn. Jemele Hill really has never done it for me

Agree with all this.

I've always liked Michael Smith on Around the Horn. Jemele Hill really has never done it for me, but I don't have anything against her. I guess you could say it's more the format and delivery than it is the two.

Interesting. I've always felt that they seem too cozy. I think they have great chemistry to the point that I wonder what Mike's wife thinks of their friendship. Their podcasts were always good stuff. Less of a filter on their podcasts. They are very very close.

Not they they should completely ignore it, but they killed it. They turned Kaepernick's peaceful protest into something that people got tired of hearing about because it was drilled into us on every network sports or non- sports. Discuss it for a day or two and be done with it. They discussed it for weeks upon weeks.

Didn't we do the same on this board?? They discussed it because it was newsworthy. You couldn't open your Facebook or Twitter page without seeing something about it almost the whole football season. ESPN talked about it because the whole country was talking about it.

Didn't we do the same on this board?? They discussed it because it was newsworthy. You couldn't open your Facebook or Twitter page without seeing something about it almost the whole football season. ESPN talked about it because the whole country was talking about it.

ESPN talked about for a good 2 months after it was irrelevant and nobody cared anymore. They killed the whole story.

I do enjoy the SC6 show. Good discussion. Good rapport between the two. I love the mix of sports, social issues, and entertainment.

Same here. Liked His and Hers, like them now. Don't always tune in, but enjoy it when I do.

Interesting. I've always felt that they seem too cozy. I think they have great chemistry to the point that I wonder what Mike's wife thinks of their friendship. Their podcasts were always good stuff. Less of a filter on their podcasts. They are very very close.

Maybe it's that their so close that it feels so fake to me? I don't know lol.

Out of curiosity. How come people don't like Michael Smith and Jemele Hill? If you don't like them how come you don't like them? They usually have opposing views from each other when it comes to talking about sports so I'm thinking it isn't because of their views on sports. Is it because they have always used their platform to address social issues near and dear to their heart and they were rewarded with the 6pm SportsCenter slot? I'm trying to figure it out because they are both very accomplished and respected journalists who have properly evolved in the evolving field of media. They are tuned in to pop culture in the same way Stuart Scott was, they know their stuff when it comes to sports, they are well respected and loved by all athletes they have encountered and are the face of sports media in the black community. Long story short, black people love them(except for Deuce) and white people can't stand them.

Why is that? What did they do or what have they done that is so egregious?

I don't find Smith to necessarily be all that bad, not great by any stretch and he's not someone who will make me "tune in", but I can't say he would necessarily be the reason I would "tune out" either. Hill? She's just not good tv or radio for me and there's something about her whole approach to what she does and her "aura" I find annoying/unlikable, not sure there is just one specific thing I can point to, just kind of the whole package. Now maybe I'm alone in that opinion, but after reading this thread I highly doubt it.

Edited by BigVMan23

For those that don't think politics is playing a part in lost ESPN viewership, take a few minutes to read the comments section on news articles discussing the layoffs. Many many many of the negative comments towards ESPN mention the "political angle" as a big reason for leaving. Now that is very anecdotal evidence I know, but if multiple dozens of people are feeling that way out of a couple of hundred commentators on a given article, then I think it's probably reasonable that think that opinion is held by many thousands of others as well, enough so to affect ESPN in a negative way.

Still don't understand the Greeny hate...

I personally don't like Greeny because of his uppity, snooty, above it all attitude. I get that it's his shtick and I hope he's not like that in real life, just like Golic is likely not the bumbling dumb jock in real life. However, despite my dislike for Greeny, I still listen almost every morning because it's the only game in town when I'm driving. I guess I'm a masochist.

For those that don't think politics is playing a part in lost ESPN viewership, take a few minutes to read the comments section on news articles discussing the layoffs. Many many many of the negative comments towards ESPN mention the "political angle" as a big reason for leaving. Now that is very anecdotal evidence I know, but if multiple dozens of people are feeling that way out of a couple of hundred commentators on a given article, then I think it's probably reasonable that think that opinion is held by many thousands of others as well, enough so to affect ESPN in a negative way.

Not enough for them to layoff 100 people and most of those people complaining about ESPN still pay for ESPN in their monthly cable/satellite bills.

I personally don't like Greeny because of his uppity, snooty, above it all attitude. I get that it's his shtick and I hope he's not like that in real life, just like Golic is likely not the bumbling dumb jock in real life. However, despite my dislike for Greeny, I still listen almost every morning because it's the only game in town when I'm driving. I guess I'm a masochist.

Greeny most definitely does not have an uppity attitude. I have no idea where you are getting that perception from.

I don't find Smith to necessarily be all that bad, not great by any stretch and he's not someone who will make me "tune in", but I can't say he would necessarily be the reason I would "tune out" either. Hill? She's just not good tv or radio for me and there's something about her whole approach to what she does and her "aura" I find annoying/unlikable, not sure there is just one specific thing I can point to, just kind of the whole package. Now maybe I'm alone in that opinion, but after reading this thread I highly doubt it.

You're definitely not alone. I'll always love Jemele Hill. I love a woman who can hold her own in an conversation about sports and her passion about sports is always clear when she discusses things. I think she does her best work on Sports Reporters when the vibe is a more serious vibe. Tons of people can't stand her and I've never understood why because she doesn't say off the wall stuff like Skip and Stephen A do just to be noticed and her opinions are always informed and thoughtful opinions. I've been jealous of Michael Smith since the first time I watched him on ESPN. I'll always be a big fan of his and hers. No pun intended.