Trinity 56 Lafayette 21 - 6A State Championship

theguru

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations Trinity on another state championship. Congratulations Lafayette on another great season.

Obviously a lot to be made of the no hand shaking after the game. Based on the way things were going, probably a better decision then having a fight break out during an extremely emotional time. Unfortunate, but not horrible.

Okay -- I was there tonight.

First of all, much of the game was entertaining to watch. At the beginning of the 3rd it was something like 27-21 Trinity. I don't think most would have predicted it would be that close at that point in the game.

It was a little chippy up to that point, both teams trading unsportsmanlike's and personal fouls. I've been to almost all of LHS's games this year and I've seen some of that from them, but I don't recall seeing T getting called for so many in their past meetings. Let's be clear though... the jawing was not one-sided.

In the 4th, Walker Wood got hit on, what appeared to me to be, a late hit. It wasn't called, but the replay they showed on the scoreboard sure seemed to confirm that. Either way, I'm sure the game is online somewhere if anyone cares to look it up. After they assisted him off the field, the tone of the game took a turn for the worse. More trash-talk started coming and the T student section started chanting "Where is Walker?" which didn't help.

Check out the tweets from Herald Leader's Josh Moore for more info there: Josh Moore on Twitter: "When your students start chanting stuff like "Where is Walker?" its easy to understand why folks have hard time appreciating your greatness."

At one point, one of Lafayette's players was ejected and I was told one of T's was as well -- didn't see that personally though. At the end of the game, one of Lafayette's players flipped the referee's hat off of his head. The teams did not shake hands at the end of the game for fear of escalation. I believe that was Coach Shaw's decision, and probably the correct one. There wasn't a lot of sportsmanship being shown from either side and there's no sense in allowing a situation that might make things worse.

When the trophies were handed out, T's fans booed the person receiving Lafayette's and then the remaining Lafayette fans booed T's presentation. I was very sorry to see the behavior from individual students and fans on both sides.

But don't fool yourself into thinking the blame here lies on one side, because it most certainly does not.

Sick to my stomach as to how this in-game and post-game conduct deteriorated to the level it did. Lafayette's conduct was unfortunately predictable and as many expected; but, Trinity's sinking to those same levels was something of surprise in a Beatty coached team. Hope all Supts., ADs, Principals, and HCs plus assistants meet within their schools to agree to "never again" allow a football game conduct destroy all that is great in young athletes meeting on the field of competition. Just sick over this, it is not why we play the game.

Has this always been an issue for Lafayette in prior years or is this type of behavior relatively new?

Lafayette and LexCath had a series after the public-private peace accord a few years ago. There was no 'bad boy' attitude and no incidents on or near the field that I can recall. Just normal football.

The reputation grew this year. Here is an article that gives a somewhat objective view since this rep was out in the open.

Kentucky high school football: Lafayette vs. Scott County preview, Nov. 23, 2

If Trinity was a business the federal government would break them up for being a monopoly! It is a shame that public 6A schools in this state have no chance to win a state title. The team they played has a QB who might be on the field next year a UK and a tackle that is going to Alabama and CANT WIN A STATE TITLE IN KENTUCKY!!! We aren't talking about Texas we are talking about Kentucky, if you have 2 SEC players on one team you should walk through this state. Maybe even give you the trophy at the start of the year. It is just a shame to me that public schools really have no shot and don't give me the crap about Scott Co. winning one or GRC in 1991. The khsaa needs to do something about this.

Every time Trinity and Lafayette have played over the last couple years, Lafayette has showed little to no sportsmanship, especially once they got down big. Maybe the Trinity kids just got tired of turning the other cheek?

As for the chanting from the students, Trinity's administration should have been on that and ended it, maybe they did. Obviously that's not cool, but I've heard FAR worse from a student section, and to push the narrative that Trinity is classless because of that, especially with their track record, is nothing but lazy.

If Trinity was a business the federal government would break them up for being a monopoly! It is a shame that public 6A schools in this state have no chance to win a state title. The team they played has a QB who might be on the field next year a UK and a tackle that is going to Alabama and CANT WIN A STATE TITLE IN KENTUCKY!!! We aren't talking about Texas we are talking about Kentucky, if you have 2 SEC players on one team you should walk through this state. Maybe even give you the trophy at the start of the year. It is just a shame to me that public schools really have no shot and don't give me the crap about Scott Co. winning one or GRC in 1991. The khsaa needs to do something about this.

Chuckle, given that public schools have won 2 of the past 4 6A state titles I do have a somewhat difficult time believing that. And as shown, you need more than two superb players; games are won by teams.

Edited by psychicscubadiver