Trinity 56 Lafayette 21 - 6A State Championship

theguru

. After the kneeldown a Lafayette player already thru the line is close to the white hat, and steps up and knocks his hat off by flipping it off his head by the brim. Didn't punch or shove him, very juvenile and disrespectful but not an assault charge or anything as serious as when refs actually have gotten hit.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished watching the replay of this one.

Eric Shaw should be suspended for letting his team get out of control and show such poor sportsmanship

Trinity should be ashamed of themselves for how they acted as well and their student section needs to be reprimanded for their chants. I dont fault Trinity because most of this seems instigated by Lafayette, but act like you been there before.

That's all I have to say on that.

Spencer Blackburn is much better than I gave him credit for and Trinity is the best team in KY. Lafayette didn't impress me.

And I have to eat some crow, you were right on their ability to score. They did improve more than I thought. 21 against the Rocks D is not an easy task.

'Endless resources' :lol2:

If only, then we'd have gotten air-conditioning before the turn of the millennium.

Also, I have a hard time believing we've got 22 coaches. That would make the sideline even more crowded than it already is.

If T doesn't have 22 on their staff I bet it's not far from it. May not be "paid" but I'd like to see the actual number! Not that it matters. Just like to know! I know 1A schools with a DZ and 4A schools with 15-16. Only stands to reason! Still does not take away from how powerful this program is. It's impressive non the less.

. After the kneeldown a Lafayette player already thru the line is close to the white hat, and steps up and knocks his hat off by flipping it off his head by the brim. Didn't punch or shove him, very juvenile and disrespectful but not an assault charge or anything as serious as when refs actually have gotten hit.

Which is what the radio guys for T indicated too, didn't seem like a punch. Not violent, but not appropriate either way.

Neither does Trinity. They don't have to.

I would have to agree with that! ^ Them being in the area they are and who they are, players come to them. Just like UK basketball. Kids want to go where they will win! T defiantly offers that! If I was 17 living in that location I would!

That is true but situations like this one makes it tough when talking coach talk. Obviously Beatty is a solid coach! Just say'n! It's a program that can get your record up fairly easy with. Just seems more impressive when you realize where like Haywood has been coaching! A Small remote area with much less resources. Im not knocking a BIG school like T. I understand every school has to play the hand your dealt just say'n! Similar with Beechwood! Located where they are is a great luxury just like T and any coach would love to have the benefit of Plenty to choose from! After 3 state titles they should swap HC positions around! You may go from Trinity to Phelps or from Ashland to BG! Lol. THAT would make it a bit more interesting! lol

While Beatty may not be as successful if you put him somewhere other than T, I have no doubt he would still be successful. Prior to his first title it was a 7 year gap between T titles and in 1995 a first round playoff exit at the hands of Doss. Not to mention a number of years as a middle of the pack team until Beatty took T to their potential. I know that a 7 year gap seems like we're spoiled, since many schools wait as long if not longer between titles, but for a school that had 12 titles prior to his arrival and the state's record 50 game winning streak a 7 year gap is an eternity. So to my initial point Haywood would probably be successful at T and Beatty I'd wager would be successful at Belfry. Would either be able to match the other's? No idea, but it is a fun exercise in speculation. :thumb:

Yes Trinity has pretty much a bottomless budget. Anything Coach Beatty needs I'm sure he gets. If the school doesn't provide it I bet there is a booster a phone call away. I am not griping because I think it's great for their school and program. I'm just saying it's a huge advantage. Someone told me they had 100 freshman on their freshman team this year. I bet it's very cheap to field a team of 100 freshman, plus JV, and plus varsity!!! Trust me they have no worries financially. I bet other schools wish they could have their "tough" budget crisis.

Yes Trinity has pretty much a bottomless budget. Anything Coach Beatty needs I'm sure he gets. If the school doesn't provide it I bet there is a booster a phone call away. I am not griping because I think it's great for their school and program. I'm just saying it's a huge advantage. Someone told me they had 100 freshman on their freshman team this year. I bet it's very cheap to field a team of 100 freshman, plus JV, and plus varsity!!! Trust me they have no worries financially. I bet other schools wish they could have their "tough" budget crisis.

T and X both have Frosh teams in the 75-100 range for over 25 years or so. We use to play them both twice as freshman. I agree I'm sure they want for nothing. That hasn't always been true. Their weight room back in the 80s and early 90s I'm pretty sure was subpar. At least that is how it was described to me. They are of course less restricted than a majority of schools as far as how they are allowed to spend money.

Per the KHSAA program, Trinity's enrollment is 1,189 (all boys) and Lafayette's is 2,099 (approximately 1050 boys). Not an extreme difference.

The extreme difference is Lafayettes players come from 1 particular geographic neighborhood in Lexington while Trinitys comes from the entire city and surrounding counties and states with 90% of their teams players coming to that school specifically to play football there. The scholastic benefit is helpful, but, if that were the primary draw, most could find a private school with equal educational benefits closer to home..