Sweet 16 at NKU

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High $ but those are literally chairbacks sitting on the edge of the court. Don't think I'd pay that much, but they are premium seats.

So does Rupp but they are not near that high. Lower arena seats for the entire tourney for $124. Those seats would be like $245. Big difference.

You are absolutely right on this. It's sad. Drove south on 471 into the Highland Heights late this afternoon and expected to see something, anything. NKU didn't even have a sign set up (other than their normal marquee that flash the tourney and dates along with other events) saying anything about the Sweet 16. There was a temporary mobile sign sitting next to the marquee, but it was not working. Honestly, the traffic wasn't even that bad. Does anyone outside of the schools participating and the more than casual basketball fans even know this event is going on?????

It is not NKU's job to promote this event, that falls on the KHSAA. No television or newspaper advances locally on the state tournament is a reflection of the KHSAA and how they mishandled the promotions/PR ops. I saw nothing the past week on TV or the local newspaper about this event. Where was the KHSAA people?

I'm game.

I wonder how many times tonight, I would have said, "This is bad basketball - This is REALLY bad basketball."

The second half of the CCo/Trimble Game would have been excruciating to call. Trimble County went over nine minutes without scoring.

As I drove through HHeights/Cold Spring today, I saw nary a sign welcoming the "Sweet 16." Plenty now hiring, and promoting sales, but none making the Sweet 16 feel welcome.

When I asked a half-dozen residents randomly what major event was happening in the community this week - they didn't know.

When I hit the search button on my truck radio, it went through both the AM and FM stations without a local broadcast of the Sweet 16 Girls games.

The closest thing to a Sweet 16 related sign was "Go Camels at State."

This event is on a two-year contract. In order for the contract to be renewed, several things have to happen. One the facilities/housing will have to prove satisfactory. The event will have to make as much, or nearly as much as in the past at WKU, and third it must have the support of the local community.

You are assuming the BB&T people will want to continue hosting it. The attendance for the first day was less than people believed it would be. The local support will last as long as there are local teams involved. The Holmes crowd this evening was a big disappointment. They are right across the river but had an average following for a state tournament game.

The place was near packed for the first game tonight, about 1/2 left afterwards. So it went from 6-7000 to 3500-3000.

How was the first session. I thought everything went like clock work. I sat in the upper deck for part of the 1st game (I move around) and the e'town staff and players loved the arena and atmosphere, as well as, a UC coach. I believe the coach more liked the fact she didn't have to drive a long way.

I just don't get the non-love with the place. I've been to EKU, WKU and Frankfort Civic Center for these things and NKU beats them by a lot IMO. I think it is a great basketball venue.

Prior to the CCo/Trimble Co game I ate at the Frisches at US27 and I-471 - Literally across the street from the BB&T entrance. There were a good number of "Sweet 16" connected fans dining there also.

When the manager checked me out, I asked him if he was aware that there was a major sporting event in town through Sunday. WIthout flinching, he said, No, but we are equipped to handle it.

I point my finger at the NoKy Chamber of Commerce. It is NoKy's tournament to lose. The KHSAA will go where the highest bidder takes it. Possession is 90% of the law, and right now it is in our town. Somebody or somebodies have dropped the ball.

Prior to the CCo/Trimble Co game I ate at the Frisches at US27 and I-471 - Literally across the street from the BB&T entrance. There were a good number of "Sweet 16" connected fans dining there also.

When the manager checked me out, I asked him if he was aware that there was a major sporting event in town through Sunday. WIthout flinching, he said, No, but we are equipped to handle it.

I point my finger at the NoKy Chamber of Commerce. It is NoKy's tournament to lose. The KHSAA will go where the highest bidder takes it. Possession is 90% of the law, and right now it is in our town. Somebody or somebodies have dropped the ball.

This!

I took in the Wednesday night session for the dual purpose of seeing this Trimble County Team that beat Simon Kenton (It was a miracle), and to see the layout of the facility, particularly accommodations for the press which has been GROSSLY lacking in the past.

I was pleasantly surprised. They removed the entire lower section behind the scorers table (about 8 rows) and installed flat tabletop press areas - three rows of them, which is probably overkill, but rather be safe than sorry. My only other question is 1) Did they provide phone lines 2) Did they provide Ethernet connections.

LB13 has stated that the KHSAA has provided secure Wi-Fi, but most of your radio stations go out via phone or cell phone.

There was a huge crowd, basically filling the lower arena, but two and a half local teams were playing. I still thought that at $13 a pop, it was a good turnout for a pair of "girls" games.

To the best of my knowledge parking was not a major issue. I got in early and left after the 3rd quarter of the Holmes/Russell game. Quick in/Quick out.

It seemed strange to see Morehead State U advertising at NKU, but I'm sure the same sponsors do both the boys and girls tournaments as a package deal.

So overall, passing grades from this critic for Day 1.

No problems driving in at 6:30 (miss exactly 3 minutes of first quarter) or leaving after the Holmes game.

Nice crowds from Trimble Co and Russell and Camels. Holmes crowd was decent but they never have a large following like some NKY schools.

Arena looked nice and heard a few players remark how nice it was to play in.

You are assuming the BB&T people will want to continue hosting it. The attendance for the first day was less than people believed it would be. The local support will last as long as there are local teams involved. The Holmes crowd this evening was a big disappointment. They are right across the river but had an average following for a state tournament game.

:stop: The crowd for this afternoon's games were very respectable, well above my expectations. I would say more folks than you saw for any 9th Region boys quarterfinals this year, & close to semifinals numbers.

The place was near packed for the first game tonight, about 1/2 left afterwards. So it went from 6-7000 to 3500-3000.

How was the first session. I thought everything went like clock work. I sat in the upper deck for part of the 1st game (I move around) and the e'town staff and players loved the arena and atmosphere, as well as, a UC coach. I believe the coach more liked the fact she didn't have to drive a long way.

I just don't get the non-love with the place. I've been to EKU, WKU and Frankfort Civic Center for these things and NKU beats them by a lot IMO. I think it is a great basketball venue.

Agree 100% @Bengal Maniac, I would say attendance for the 1st game tonight was the largest for ANY high school game EVER in the arena's history.

I will have to disagree somewhat on the Frankfort Civic Center comment, I absolutely love that venue....not a bad seat in the house and you are right on top of the court.