Sweet 16 at NKU

I took in the Wednesday night session for the dual purpose of seeing this Trimble County Team that beat Simon Kenton (It was a miracle), and to see the layout of the facility, particularly accommodations for the press which has been GROSSLY lacking in the past.

I was pleasantly surprised. They removed the entire lower section behind the scorers table (about 8 rows) and installed flat tabletop press areas - three rows of them, which is probably overkill, but rather be safe than sorry. My only other question is 1) Did they provide phone lines 2) Did they provide Ethernet connections.

LB13 has stated that the KHSAA has provided secure Wi-Fi, but most of your radio stations go out via phone or cell phone.

There was a huge crowd, basically filling the lower arena, but two and a half local teams were playing. I still thought that at $13 a pop, it was a good turnout for a pair of "girls" games.

To the best of my knowledge parking was not a major issue. I got in early and left after the 3rd quarter of the Holmes/Russell game. Quick in/Quick out.

It seemed strange to see Morehead State U advertising at NKU, but I'm sure the same sponsors do both the boys and girls tournaments as a package deal.

So overall, passing grades from this critic for Day 1.

This is what needs to happen for the 9th Region Tourney, push that section back some and set the Media at mid-court. KHSAA provides both phone lines & Ethernet connections. They also provide their own WiFi network, and turn off the NKU Public WiFi.

The best part..........they have assigned seats for the ENTIRE tourney for each Media outlet......an I'm set up damn near mid-court. Got there tonight at halftime of the 1st game and MY seat was waiting for me......no need to get there early to pick the best seat.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling attendance numbers will go down. I really wish girls basketball had the drawing power that boys basketball does so they could use Lexington or Louisville instead for a more central location. If only Campbellsville or Lindsey Wilson were bigger universities with bigger arenas. That would be as close to centrally located as you could get.

Marion County is the geographical center of Kentucky, so something as close to that area with the accommodations to handle a state tournament.

It is not NKU's job to promote this event, that falls on the KHSAA. No television or newspaper advances locally on the state tournament is a reflection of the KHSAA and how they mishandled the promotions/PR ops. I saw nothing the past week on TV or the local newspaper about this event. Where was the KHSAA people?

The effort by the KHSAA is shown in the fact that they use the same video in pregame for how long? No disrespect to champions from long ago but they certainly ignore more recent champs. Opportunity missed....

This is what needs to happen for the 9th Region Tourney, push that section back some and set the Media at mid-court. KHSAA provides both phone lines & Ethernet connections. They also provide their own WiFi network, and turn off the NKU Public WiFi.

The best part..........they have assigned seats for the ENTIRE tourney for each Media outlet......an I'm set up damn near mid-court. Got there tonight at halftime of the 1st game and MY seat was waiting for me......no need to get there early to pick the best seat.

Said it last night myself. Even if it was just 1 row, which is all that is needed. There would be enough room for EVERYONE. REALLY NEED TO LOOK AT THIS.

I wonder how many times tonight, I would have said, "This is bad basketball - This is REALLY bad basketball."

The second half of the CCo/Trimble Game would have been excruciating to call. Trimble County went over nine minutes without scoring.

And we're wondering why there isn't more 'buzz' about this event?

yes this does need to happen

Where are teams staying?..it's not like there are any hotels close to BB&T. Are the 2 in Wilder booked?

They are staying at the 2 in Wilder, at 1 in Bellevue. Rest of the teams are at the airport hotels and the hotels on 75 in Florence down to Richwood.

They are staying at the 2 in Wilder, at 1 in Bellevue. Rest of the teams are at the airport hotels and the hotels on 75 in Florence down to Richwood.

That's not super convenient..and also spreads out over 3 counties whatever economic impact may or may not be occurring.

Another "hidden gem" of a restaurant for you visitors is the 'Knotty Pine on the Bayou'. It's located on Route 915 which is just off the AA Highway. Very near the Wilder exit from 275 and literally no more than 10 minutes from BB&T. AWESOME Cajun food!

Coaches from those teams having Late night film sessions at Longnecks on the AA ?