uk#1fan

Who do you think wins?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about this talk of guys playing both ways is the offensive players moving to defense. I can think of at least 3 defensive guys that could be some nice pieces to have on the offensive side of the ball, but do not see that happening.

Agree with your comment of some of the defense moving over as well. The "playmakers" I am alluding to are already on defense!!! I'd like to see them on offense! I understand the defense is getting hit with some points, but I think a major contributor to that is we can't keep them off the field because lack of production on offense and turnovers. Against any good team, we have not shown the ability to sustain an offensive drive yet. I do see things getting cleaned up and improving, but that's where I think their opportunity is.

The funny thing about this talk of guys playing both ways is the offensive players moving to defense. I can think of at least 3 defensive guys that could be some nice pieces to have on the offensive side of the ball, but do not see that happening.

Saw a FB post from a defensive player that said only "Changes are coming!!! Go ______!!!"

(Read this with a Law & Order donk donk in your mind **names excluded to protect the innocent and guilty**)

Doesn't indicate what changes...

Friday will be interesting no matter how you look at it...

For schools with large rosters, playing your best athletes in spot situations on the other side of the ball is a great idea, but two-way starting is not IMHO. It seems like even T has done a very limited amount of 2-way situational substituting in some years. I look for a great and close game Friday night coming down to the same things that seem to decide every close game - big plays, turnovers, costly penalties. Good luck to all involved.

In my experience, the order of preference is as follows:

A: 2 platoon - when you have the horses & depth to allow a potentially less athletic / talented player(s) to excel due to more individualized training & practice (i.e., Jimmy might not be as good a LB as Joe, but the falloff is not significant & Joe is a better RB when he doesn't have to split time at practice between O & D and both are fresher during game in a 2 platoon situation

B: Spot 2-way players (the Collins 2013 approach): The falloff is a bit more than you want, so Joe plays a few snaps at LB in certain situations, but Jimmy plays most of the snaps

C: 2-way players: The dropoff is severe. Play Joe as many snaps as he can safely play because Joe at 75% is better than Jimmy at 100%. Jimmy fills in only when Joe absolutely has to have a break. When he's ready to go back in, Joe goes back in.

Evaluate / develop your talent toward A. Go to B when you need to. Try to avoid C (unless you're a small school trying to build a program).

In the few games so far this year, I have seen several opportunities for Highlands to either score or pick up a short first down if only they had a fullback to bull through and pick up a yard or two. I know there is a defensive player that played running back as a frosh, who is very capable of filling this role. If he is allowed to play both sides, short yardage situations become an entirely new ballgame for the Birds.

In the few games so far this year, I have seen several opportunities for Highlands to either score or pick up a short first down if only they had a fullback to bull through and pick up a yard or two. I know there is a defensive player that played running back as a frosh, who is very capable of filling this role. If he is allowed to play both sides, short yardage situations become an entirely new ballgame for the Birds.

I'll even throw the name out there... Stick Doherty back there for a limited number of plays... Even if he doesn't carry every time, he definitely will clean someone's clock and open some holes. Reminds me a little of Mike Herrmann, RIP, with his defense but if we needed a hole opened all 160 lbs (minus the six inch neck roll) would do it.

Good points fellas, but it ain't going to happen any time soon although I am sure that he would relish the opportunity.

The better question might be that if this game comes down to a FG, who kicks it? Johnston, Schultz or the frosh Bowman?

Are they dressing Bowman? I haven't seen him yet, but have heard he has a nice leg. Who will kick extra points.