Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

6 Classes?

Featured Replies

Some other states ...

 

Indiana ... 5 classes, 313 schools, 62.6 per class

Illinois ... 8 classes, 549 schools, 68.6 per class

Missouri ... 6 classes. 326 schools, 54.3 per class

Tennessee ... 5 classes, 294 schools, 58.8 per class

Mississippi ... 5 classes, 238 schools, 47.6 per class

Alabama ... 6 classes, 381 schools, 63.5 per class

Georgia ... 5 classes, 403 schools, 80.6 per class

Florida ... 6 classes, 499 schools, 83.2 per class

Louisiana ... 5 classes, 270 schools, 54.0 per class

Texas ... 5 classes, 1006 schools, 201.2 per class

Oklahoma ... 6 classes, 257 schools, 42.8 per class

Ohio ... 6 classes, 733 schools, 122.2 per class

Michigan ... 4 classes, 624 schools, 156.0 per class

Wisconsin ... 7 classes, 411 schools, 58.7 per class

Iowa ... 5 classes, 317 schools, 63.4 per class

Pennsylvania ... 4 classes, 602 schools, 150.5 per class

West Virginia ... 3 classes, 125 schools, 41.7 per class

Virginia ... 3 classes, 299 schools, 99.7 per class

North Carolina ... 4 classes, 344 schools, 86.0 per class

South Carolina ... 4 classes, 190 schools, 47.5 per class

 

Missouri split up its 5A few years ago ... there are 36 schools in 5A and 32 in 6A. Oklahoma has 32 teams apiece in the upper four classes.

 

The Tennessee figures are for Division I, not counting the separate private-school division. Same goes for Mississippi, Texas and Louisiana, which have separate sanctioning bodies for private schools.

 

These numbers may be a little misleading...I know Texas and Virginia have multiple divisions WITHIN their classes...so in Texas, somehow there are 5 classes, but 10 state champions (according to one of our coaches that had to go down there to work with the Corps of Engineers after this season).

 

Also, in Texas, there are many schools that play 8-man football who I believe are included in the overall count of how many schools play football, but not involved in a "class."

 

We were told about Virginia splitting their classes at our statewide coaches meeting two years ago.

  • Replies 182
  • Views 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You're the one saying that new programs will spring up with a move to six classes. I just don't see it. If you know of any, who are they?"- westsider

Sorry don't know how to use all of the tools yet.

 

I believe we have 2 new ones coming up. Walton-Verona and Bishop Brossart. Don't think for a second that they didn't check things out with the KHSAA

For comparison sake, OH has between 116 and 124 teams in each class.

 

You like Ohio's playoff system?

These numbers may be a little misleading...I know Texas and Virginia have multiple divisions WITHIN their classes...so in Texas, somehow there are 5 classes, but 10 state champions (according to one of our coaches that had to go down there to work with the Corps of Engineers after this season).

 

Also, in Texas, there are many schools that play 8-man football who I believe are included in the overall count of how many schools play football, but not involved in a "class."

 

We were told about Virginia splitting their classes at our statewide coaches meeting two years ago.

 

Florida has eight classes.

MoDawg,

 

Watered down ... yes. 54 teams in a class vs. 36 per class. That's the epitome of watered down.

 

You're the one saying that new programs will spring up with a move to six classes. I just don't see it. If you know of any, who are they?

 

I wasn't talking about good teams playing bad teams. Bad programs will just seek out other bad programs, and I don't know if that's much of a prescription for improvement.

 

And I just don't see more teams in the playoffs getting more kids recruited. The colleges already know which kids can play.

 

Colleges don't always know the good players. There are sleepers all over the place. Surely, you don't disagree that it's possible for a recruiter to go to a game, see a one vs. four, the one's got the stud recruit, but they go away impressed with an athlete from the four team?

 

You see watered down, I see more even classes.

 

Programs have to have some sort of success to build.

These numbers may be a little misleading...I know Texas and Virginia have multiple divisions WITHIN their classes...so in Texas, somehow there are 5 classes, but 10 state champions (according to one of our coaches that had to go down there to work with the Corps of Engineers after this season).

 

Also, in Texas, there are many schools that play 8-man football who I believe are included in the overall count of how many schools play football, but not involved in a "class."

 

We were told about Virginia splitting their classes at our statewide coaches meeting two years ago.

 

Also, Michigan has 4 classes for all sports except football. They have eight divisions for football. And they have a point system for qualifying for the playoffs for football. They then take the 256 teams and order them according to size. The first 32 are Division 1, next 32 are Division 2, etc.

Sorry don't know how to use all of the tools yet.

 

I believe we have 2 new ones coming up. Walton-Verona and Bishop Brossart. Don't think for a second that they didn't check things out with the KHSAA

I can't speak for those schools, but I assume they're starting football to offer their kids more athletic opportunities ... not because Kentucky may go to six classes, giving them a better chance to win a state title.
These numbers may be a little misleading...I know Texas and Virginia have multiple divisions WITHIN their classes...so in Texas, somehow there are 5 classes, but 10 state champions (according to one of our coaches that had to go down there to work with the Corps of Engineers after this season).

 

Also, in Texas, there are many schools that play 8-man football who I believe are included in the overall count of how many schools play football, but not involved in a "class."

 

We were told about Virginia splitting their classes at our statewide coaches meeting two years ago.

Even so, splitting their classes would ensure there are still well over 54 per class, not to mention 36.

 

I'll stand by my assertion that most of the six-class proponents are operating on rather selfish, self-serving reasons.

Most of the schools I can think of that would be starting football and would benefit from the 6 class system are smaller 1A schools, and several are private. In Western KY, you could see schools like St. Mary's, Community Christian Academy, and Christian Fellowship, Providence high school, Dawson Springs, etc... start programs. I have heard for a fact that St. Marys would never start football because the district was sewn up with with Mayfield and Murray High. They could never be competitive. Now you take a district with the Fultons in it, and St. MAry's could be able to compete in a few years.

 

But the Irony here is that the schools who will be adding football would be mainly privates.

Even so, splitting their classes would ensure there are still well over 54 per class, not to mention 36.

 

I'll stand by my assertion that most of the six-class proponents are operating on rather selfish, self-serving reasons.

 

As opposed to everything staying the same, with basically the same teams doing the same...?

Even so, splitting their classes would ensure there are still well over 54 per class, not to mention 36.

 

I'll stand by my assertion that most of the six-class proponents are operating on rather selfish, self-serving reasons.

And I believe the opponents of it are as well.

Even so, splitting their classes would ensure there are still well over 54 per class, not to mention 36.

 

I'll stand by my assertion that most of the six-class proponents are operating on rather selfish, self-serving reasons.

I've always respected your thoughts and you very well could be right about some people whoever there are a lot that I know like it for the right reasons. There will be people that want the change for their own good just as there will be people fighting it for their own good. I think the majority have the right mentality when approaching the issue though.

20 years from now nobody is gonna care how many classes there when their team won the state championship,The trophies will shine no less,The rings will still be as big, and the achievment no less extraordinary, no college scouts are going to be doing long division to see how many schools are in each class before they watch a player form any class play. And regardless of how long we argue about it its till going to happen. So, like Richard Pryor used to say,"You may as well get some sunshine on your face"

20 years from now nobody is gonna care how many classes there when their team won the state championship,The trophies will shine no less,The rings will still be as big, and the achievment no less extraordinary, no college scouts are going to be doing long division to see how many schools are in each class before they watch a player form any class play. And regardless of how long we argue about it its till going to happen. So, like Richard Pryor used to say,"You may as well get some sunshine on your face"

 

 

Aah, but there's where you are wrong...the acheivement will be less extraordinary. And how far do we go down this slippery slope of making it easier to win a state championship. Does it become 10 state championships in a few years? Maybe 15 in 20 years? I think we should look at the sizes of the classifications in the other states to use as a barometer. And from what was posted above, it doesn't seem like any of the listed states have classifications with as little as 36 schools. That's just too small in my opinion and the fact that no other state has such small classes would lead me to believe my opinion is a valid one.

  • Author
You like Ohio's playoff system?

 

Do I like Ohio's system? I guess I'll answer with a question: What is there not to like about it?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.