6 Classes?

cshs81

If I remember correctly in the original discussion of 6-class football, there are not going to be many teams that do NOT make the playoffs. If that's the case, we might as well do like Indiana and invite everyone rather than simply exclude a few.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea has always been what is best for the kids and for KY football. In KY everyone goes to the district tournament in basketball, that means everyone gets a post season, a second chance at a title, be it one title, but still everyone gets a shot. In football you might be in a 8 or 9 team district, win 6 games and not have any chance at a post season. While the sister district in the region can have a team win 1 game or even go ofer and make the playoffs. That is fair???? NO it's not. A horrible team gets in and a good one watches the playoffs. A six class system might be what is best, it might not but the majority of coaches in this state feel it is the best decision at this time. The fact is what we have now is not the best system FOR THE KIDS and does need revision.

In Indiana everyone goes to the playoffs. Don't see them wishing it were like it is in KY. I am not saying everyone should go to the playoffs, but in my humble opinion a decent team shouldn't be kept out because they are in a severly overloaded district.

If I remember correctly in the original discussion of 6-class football, there are not going to be many teams that do NOT make the playoffs. If that's the case, we might as well do like Indiana and invite everyone rather than simply exclude a few.

I know all 4 teams in Highlands district go regardless of record. Home field advantage is what they play for.

I know all 4 teams in Highlands district go regardless of record. Home field advantage is what they play for.

Under the initial thinking (subject to change) and the initial class and district breakdowns, there are about 30 teams in the ENTIRE state that would not make the playoffs.

If you're going to have that many make it, why not invite the other 30?

The idea has always been what is best for the kids and for KY football. In KY everyone goes to the district tournament in basketball, that means everyone gets a post season, a second chance at a title, be it one title, but still everyone gets a shot. In football you might be in a 8 or 9 team district, win 6 games and not have any chance at a post season. While the sister district in the region can have a team win 1 game or even go ofer and make the playoffs. That is fair???? NO it's not. A horrible team gets in and a good one watches the playoffs. A six class system might be what is best, it might not but the majority of coaches in this state feel it is the best decision at this time. The fact is what we have now is not the best system FOR THE KIDS and does need revision.

In Indiana everyone goes to the playoffs. Don't see them wishing it were like it is in KY. I am not saying everyone should go to the playoffs, but in my humble opinion a decent team shouldn't be kept out because they are in a severly overloaded district.

I think you may be getting ahead of yourself by saying a majority of the coaches in the state think it is the best decision at this time. The Coaches Advisory Committee, which is comprised of a very small number of the coaches in the state, thinks its a good idea (and even then, I don't think the Committee was unanimous in support of 6 classes). To the best of my knowledge, no survey of the entire head coaching rank has been conducted. CoachJ, am I correct? I agree with your point that it is silly that some districts have 8 schools and only four make it and other districts have only 4 schools and all 4 of course make it. But there are other ways to resolve that problem than watering down the championships. And if its all about giving more teams the opportunity to say they made the playoffs, lets let every team in like Indy does, shorten the regular season by a game, eliminate the bye week and tee it up. But be ready for the first two rounds to have some complete blow outs.

I have heard for a fact that St. Marys would never start football because the district was sewn up with with Mayfield and Murray High. They could never be competitive. Now you take a district with the Fultons in it, and St. MAry's could be able to compete in a few years.
I live in Paducah, and I've never once heard that St. Mary was ever considering adding a football team to its athletic program.

Schools add sports because their communities express an interest in fielding a team and to give their students another program in which to participate. Any school that would not add a sport because it felt the "district was sewn up" is taking a very shortsighted approach.

I like the system the way it is now. 4 teams making the playoffs is good for the fact that playoff spots are not decided until the last week...keeps teams, schools and fans into the entire season instead of being out of playoff hunt week 6 or 7.

I dont think 6 classes will hurt Kentucky football at all......

WHAT does eveyone else think about taking top 3 teams with 1 seed getting a bye week 1 in playoffs....I think there a pros and cons to a bye week...if your team has some injuries you can heel up and scout...benefit of being a 1 seed....if you think your team is on a roll a bye may not be a good thing......

Checks and balances my man. :thumb: Not everybody is going to agree with each other. I would be curious to see the breakdown of the 6 classes. I think it was on here about 6 months ago.

Proposed 6A

Paul Dunbar 2187 Avg students

Henderson Co

Henry Clay

Lafayette

PRP

DuPount Manual

Eastern

Scott Co

Daviess County

Senecca

Ballard

tates Creek

Male

Butler

Madison central

Central Hardin

Trinity

St. Xavier

George Rogers Clark

Conner

Nelson Co.

Shelby co.

Ryle

Campbell County

Meade Co

Boone Co.

Marshall Co.

Greenwood

Apollo

Simon Kenton

North Hardin

Fern Creek

Southern

Graves County

Bryan Station

Christian County

John Hardin 1293.5 Avg students

Proposed 5A

South Laurel 1290 Avg students

southwestern

North Laurel

Oldham Co.

Bullitt Central

Dixie Heights

Grayson Co.

Iroquois

Barren Co.

Whiltley Co.

Woodford Co.

Montgomery Co.

Lincoln co.

Scott

Ohio County

doss

Warren Central

Waggener

Grant Co.

Anderson Co

Clay Co

Madisonville North Hopkins

Owensboro

Bowling Green

Pulaski co.

Johnson central

North Bullitt

Jeffersontown

Atherton

Perry Co. Central

Hopkinsville

Central

Logan Co.

South Oldhman

Letcher co. Central

Hopkins Co. Central

Ashland Paul Blazer 975 Avg students

Proposed 4A

Madison Southern 972.5 Avg students

West Jessamine

Boyd co.

Harrison Co.

Holmes

Bullit East

East Jessamine

Franklin co.

Allen Co. Scottsville

Covington Catholic

Rowan Co\Calloway Co.

valley

Rockcastle Co.

Greenup Co

Knox Central

Marion County

Franklin Simpson

Pendleton CO

Russell Co.

Mcreary Central

Boyle co.

Lexington Cath.

Bell County

Western

Loan Oak

Breckinridge Co.

Warren East

Fairdale

Muhlberg North

Bourbon Co.

Lawrence Co.

Taylor Co.

Highlands

Mason co.

Paducah Tilghman

Adair co

Larue Co. 747.5 Avg students

Proposed 3A

Fleming Co. 745 Avg students

North Oldham

East Ridge

Powell Co

Union co.

Hart Co.

Moore

East Carter

Cawood

Garrard Co

Mercer Co

Wayne Co

Western Hills

Casey Co

Estill Co

Magoffin Co

Pike Co Central

Belfrey

West Carter

Breathitt Co

Spencer co.

Butler Co

Lewis Co

Russell

Muhlenberg

Morgan Co

Jackson Co

Knott Co. Central

corbin

Henry county

Sheldon Clark

Prestonburg

Edmonson co

Caldwell co

LLoyd Memorial

Shawnee

Leslie Co. 618.5 Avg students

Proposed 2A

Lou-Christian acadamey 615 Avg students

Trigg Co

Washington Co

Heath

Shelby Valley

Owen Co

Fort Campbell

Webster Co.

Todd Co. Central

Bath Co.

Newport

Monroe co.

Glasgow

Reidland

Danville

Middlesboro

Bardstown

Carroll co

Murray

Fort Knox

Owensboro Cath

Green Co.

Somerset

McLean Co.

NCC

Trimble Co

Metcalfe

Clinton Co

Betsy Lane

Holy Cross Cov.

Gallatin

Ballard Memorial

Allen Central

Lexington Christian

Mayfield

Crittendon Co

Bishop Brossart 404 Avg students

Proposed 1A

Bracken Co. 379 Avg students

Pikeville

Evarts

South Floyd

Russleville

Lynn Camp

Campbellsville

Nicholas Co

Walton Verona

Frankfort

Berea

Holy Cross Lou

Beechwood

Cumberland

Desales

Hazard

Ludlow

Dayton

Raceland

Phelps

Belleview

Bethlehem

Fairview

Fulton Co

Paintsville

Ky. Country Day

Harrodsburg

Caverna

Harlan

Williamsburg

Paris

Eminence

Jenkins

Pineville

Fulton City

Beth Haven

Evangel Christian 103 Avg students

Here you go

OK, let me try another spin on this. 4A and 1A are the problem right? Well at least that is the consensus of those proposing this change. Lets examine the disparity a little. In the new 1A, Beechwood and Pikeville would still be in it no matter how you slice it up, how is that helping someone else win a title? The new 6A is still trinity and X's advantage, but the 5A class is kinda interesting. It looks to me that 1A and 2A will just allow the best present 1A teams in a given year to get a title without facing down the next best. But 5A is interesting.

There is very little wrong with the current system. Six classes is not an improvement.

Really? How many titles have been won by two of the largest schools in 4A since it's creation? How many of the bottom 25 schools have ever made it to the finals, let alone won? I know, do you?

I think you may be getting ahead of yourself by saying a majority of the coaches in the state think it is the best decision at this time. The Coaches Advisory Committee, which is comprised of a very small number of the coaches in the state, thinks its a good idea (and even then, I don't think the Committee was unanimous in support of 6 classes). To the best of my knowledge, no survey of the entire head coaching rank has been conducted. CoachJ, am I correct? I agree with your point that it is silly that some districts have 8 schools and only four make it and other districts have only 4 schools and all 4 of course make it. But there are other ways to resolve that problem than watering down the championships. And if its all about giving more teams the opportunity to say they made the playoffs, lets let every team in like Indy does, shorten the regular season by a game, eliminate the bye week and tee it up. But be ready for the first two rounds to have some complete blow outs.

Doesn't the Coaches Advisory Committee represent the coaches in their respective regions? My district was asked thier opinion and our represenative expressed our majority opinion.

The first two rounds now have complete blowouts, but upsets also occur (if you mention the negative try to point out the positives as well...no matter how small in number they are). But again I never mentioned going to Indiana's playoff system, I just pointed out they are not having the same dispute.

6 classes is not "watering" down the championships, it only acknowledges the disparity in enrollments based on the four classes. Take a peak at the enrollment numbers and notice the disparity in the top vs. the bottom in each class. Like I said, it's about the kids.

Really? How many titles have been won by two of the largest schools in 4A since it's creation? How many of the bottom 25 schools have ever made it to the finals, let alone won? I know, do you?
I didn't say the system was perfect. In fact, I have suggested that if we have to do something to help the smaller 4A schools, the creation of a 5A class with somewhere between 16-32 schools would be an equitable solution.

Nothing will change the dominance of the two schools to which you are referring. If the KHSAA goes to six classes, they will also dominate 6A.