6 Classes?

cshs81

I didn't say the system was perfect. In fact, I have suggested that if we have to do something to help the smaller 4A schools, the creation of a 5A class with somewhere between 16-32 schools would be an equitable solution.

Nothing will change the dominance of the two schools to which you are referring. If the KHSAA goes to six classes, they will also dominate 6A.

I agree, and while some might think the change will help the 1A situation, it won't. Beechwood and Pikeville will still be there and it will be easier for one of them to win state. As far as 4A goes, I like the 5A proposal. That is the only class you can hope to help IMO , their are simply not enough very small 1A schools to help them out if you create a new smaller 1A and have it change anything.

4A however is a totally different story however.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the purpose, the good teams now would likely still succeed in a 6 class system. One A becomes a three horse race, AAA mirrors today's AA, AAAA is a bear, loaded with current powers, AAAAA is thin and AAAAAA is still ruled by L'ville. What's the point?

Aah, but there's where you are wrong...the acheivement will be less extraordinary. And how far do we go down this slippery slope of making it easier to win a state championship. Does it become 10 state championships in a few years? Maybe 15 in 20 years? I think we should look at the sizes of the classifications in the other states to use as a barometer. And from what was posted above, it doesn't seem like any of the listed states have classifications with as little as 36 schools. That's just too small in my opinion and the fact that no other state has such small classes would lead me to believe my opinion is a valid one.

It will be less extraordinary to you but not to those kids who win it. What do you propose? putting a Roger Maris asterisk* beside every team that wins state under this new system? This could help teams play better competition if the disrticts are downsized because it frees them up to play more non-district games. So teams could actually be (Gasp) better football teams playing under this sytem than under the current one. Sure youll have coaches scheduling some "cupcakes" but that wouldve happened anyway. So I say whats the big deal?

I think this is a good idea. There is always going to be a gap between numbers and the teams with the lowest numbers in a class are going to be shafted but that will happen no matter what system. As far as the whole public/private thing goes.. it's a joke I think with a lot of assumed information. I could stand in the grocery line and read Star magazine or the Enquirer. I could then go out and spread everything I read on a message board and if I read it, it must be true! I see this Private schools recruit junk all the time. It's not like these coaches are hanging around middle schools or youth leauge games getting into the kids ear to get them to come to their school. If you do a little research on a team that was in the championship this year that wasn't a private school you would see that they have quit a few kids on their team that are not in their District but can leagally go to school there. If you look at some champs in the recent past then you will see that they had a lot of players from another state move over and play for them. The biggest misconception in the whole Private/Public thing to me is shear numbers. You have a couple of schools that are always going to have more numbers. The easiest way to close that gap is the 6 class system!

1. In 6A if the teams are going to complain about Trinity and X then that is fine but you won't get a lot of remorse because your numbers aren't far off from them. They will always have a numbers advantage but now that advantage isn't so big.

2. 5A The old schools that barely had enough to play 4 A will now be lumped in with a group that is similar to their school size. The small 4A and big 3A schools will be here which makes for some nice competition.

3. 4A I don't remember the numbers but I would say this group would be loaded with competition!

3. 3A now your small 3A schools and large 2A schools are in together. That should make for some nice competition between the small schools.

4. 2A This would take your bigger 1A schools and put them in with the small 2A schools. The little 2A schools should reap the benefits from this and make some of those programs much stronger. For the large 1A this should raise the bar some. Your rivalries that have teetered between the schools that move up to 2A and drop too 1A will now be intact.

5. 1A Schools that no matter how hard they worked didn't really have a chance, now have one! This could be a great thing for the small towns around KY! When your football team is rolling these small towns really come out to support. The effect this could have on small communities around the state could be HUGE IMO!

6. I agree that there could be some travel issues but I really think the positives outweight the negatives right now. I know that there are leaders in the coaches asscociation that are trying to keep moving KY High School Football in the best direction possible.

7. More teams make the playoffs which is a great thing. Kids have more to work for. This isn't an adult sport and some people need to realize that when you can motivate kids to do the right things and keep their time occupied with something like football instead of being out partying on Friday nights then that is a GOOD thing!

8. Gone are the days of the Districts with 5 teams and the other District of 9 teams! You talk about some AWSOME out of confrence games!!!! HUGE GATE MONEY!!! BIGTIME RIVALRIES CREATED! etc etc

This stuff is just off of my head but it seems like the positives far outweigh the negatives!

Excellent stuff! Play on saturdays and relieve the travel stress.

I just don't see the purpose, the good teams now would likely still succeed in a 6 class system. One A becomes a three horse race, AAA mirrors today's AA, AAAA is a bear, loaded with current powers, AAAAA is thin and AAAAAA is still ruled by L'ville. What's the point?

I don't see it the way you do.

6A - All the upper 4A teams are included.

5A - Looks to be very competitive with quite a few good teams, none of which have won a championship. All these teams will match up very well.

4A - is very much the current 3A teams,it will hold most of the present 3A powers.

3A will be a mix of small 3A and 2A teams, they will match up nicely

2A will be a mix of the smaller 2A which holds alot of good teams and some of the bigger 1A schools... ie... Newport Catholic - present 1A state champ.

1A will have Beechwood, Pikeville and Lou Holy Cross and then abunch of small schools who still won't win a title.

I'm looking at the powers that be now, but also who will be matched against who, and it ain't that bad fellas. I would prefer 4 or even 5 classes myself. But 6, although it will fix little, is ok. I hate the 1A class, but the rest I could live with.

I don't see it the way you do.

6A - All the upper 4A teams are included.

5A - Looks to be very competitive with quite a few good teams, none of which have won a championship. All these teams will match up very well.

4A - is very much the current 3A teams,it will hold most of the present 3A powers.

3A will be a mix of small 3A and 2A teams, they will match up nicely

2A will be a mix of the smaller 2A which holds alot of good teams and some of the bigger 1A schools... ie... Newport Catholic - present 1A state champ.

1A will have Beechwood, Pikeville and Lou Holy Cross and then abunch of small schools who still won't win a title.

I'm looking at the powers that be now, but also who will be matched against who, and it ain't that bad fellas. I would prefer 4 or even 5 classes myself. But 6, although it will fix little, is ok. I hate the 1A class, but the rest I could live with.

In the 5A you have listed, there is only one NKY team. Who do you think is in their district?

In the 5A you have listed, there is only one NKY team. Who do you think is in their district?

Depends on how many teams per district, but for starters I could see the NKY district containing some combination of some of the following...

Dixie, Scott, Grant Co, Oldham Co, S. Oldham, Bullitt Central, N. Bullitt, maybe Woodford Co.

Depends on how many teams per district, but for starters I could see the NKY district containing some combination of some of the following...

Dixie, Scott, Grant Co, Oldham Co, S. Oldham, Bullitt Central, N. Bullitt, maybe Woodford Co.

The first three for sure and probably both Oldhams I would guess.

Beside when is leveling the playing field making it easier to win a championship anyway? I think some people on hear are mad because theyre adavantge is being taken away.

This is rediculous, it is not our fault for other's failures. But yet, there would be those that want to take away our EARNED success. That sounds very communist, IMO.

This is rediculous, it is not our fault for other's failures. But yet, there would be those that want to take away our EARNED success. That sounds very communist, IMO.

No matter what class your in RP, T and X will still win. So I don't see how this is a jab at you or should I say those successful schools. IMO T and X are a machine, and no matter where you put them, their still gonna win alot of games.

The funny thing to me, is that most of the people who are opposed to the move, are rooting for schools who would not be effected when it comes to a title pursuit. I am in no hurry to leave 4A. I'm ok with it, but I do see why the argument is being made. It doesn't matter to me personnally whether we go to 5 or 6 classes, becuase either way, my school is small enough that we will no longer be in the top bracket.Is that what I want? No. I like competing against T. I think its awesome to get the chance to beat the best. I love having our NKY 8 team 4A district. BC, and Ryle are developing into great rivalries, and we would loose that if they change the classes. So I have nothing to gain from liking one way over another as far as new alignment proposals. And as far as titles go, I never won one when I was in high school and never felt the need to think I didn't measure up in life without one.

Personnally I would like it to stay the way it is, flaws and all. But if it does have to change, I understand why. The universe does not revolve around what is good for me and Dixie, cause if it did, everyone would just drop the whole public/private debate, and reallignment discussions as well, and just play football.

Again, I think the system as is is OK. The 6 class system will work also. But with about 36 teams per class and 4 per district I think taking the top 2 or top 3 with the 1 seed getting a bye would work best.

I have ask this ? a few times about 3 in with 1 seed getting a bye. I like the idea...anyone else. I wish also the KHSAA would mandate that you cant play a district game until week 5 or 6.

First of all dontever call an east KY redneck a communist. Second of all its not teams' fault that under the current system they cant compete with schools that have 500 more boys to choose from than they do. I say level they playing field and the teams who are good because they are a good program will shine and the ones who will sturggle because theyre advantage lies only in more numbers than the other schools will be seen in a lesser light and IMO that right there is what has some of Yall who are against this SCARED TO DEATH!!!